DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   A simple cast iron radiant oven (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/101931-simple-cast-iron-radiant-oven.html)

[email protected] April 7th 05 09:29 AM

A simple cast iron radiant oven

Hi,
Maybe my questions seem weird, but working with an adobe oven, I am
impressed by its cooking; with radiant heat. And I am interested in how
would a heavy cast iron oven fare, which cooks by same principal. It
would be easier to heat and easier to control tempeature at different
levels. I am looking for a simple design which I may fit in my brick
shelf. But in this country it (cast iron oven) is unheard of. Can
someone point to some links or give simple instructions. thanks.

Ecnerwal April 7th 05 01:05 PM

wrote:

shelf. But in this country it (cast iron oven) is unheard of. Can
someone point to some links or give simple instructions. thanks.

Which country might that be, since you don't bother to mention it?

In the USA, you can either buy an old wood or coal-fired cookstove,
which is a bunch of cast iron parts including an oven, or you can buy a
"Dutch oven" (large covered cast iron pot with legs, used for cooking in
open fires or fireplaces, which in the typical USA odd naming
conventions may have nothing to do with Holland). Or you can buy a new
cookstove, but those are a bit costly to be ripping apart for the oven.

Nick Hull April 7th 05 01:19 PM

In article . com,
wrote:

Hi,
Maybe my questions seem weird, but working with an adobe oven, I am
impressed by its cooking; with radiant heat. And I am interested in how
would a heavy cast iron oven fare, which cooks by same principal. It
would be easier to heat and easier to control tempeature at different
levels. I am looking for a simple design which I may fit in my brick
shelf. But in this country it (cast iron oven) is unheard of. Can
someone point to some links or give simple instructions. thanks.

Have you tried a Dutch oven?

--
Free men own guns, slaves don't
www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/5357/