DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Can I hope to buy a nice used lathe or mill for under $1,000? (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/101747-re-can-i-hope-buy-nice-used-lathe-mill-under-%241-000-a.html)

Tom Gardner April 6th 05 03:45 AM

Can I hope to buy a nice used lathe or mill for under $1,000?

Single phase is going to limit your options severely, consider a phase
doohickey.

"Ignoramus9874" wrote in message
Would it be possible to buy a nice, single phase lathe or mill for
under $1,000.00? I am willing to look hard at military sales (unlikely to
find anything small enough for my garage), garage sales, etc. I am not
looking to buy a brand new item at an upscale store. I want to look
for a bargain, but, as all bargains go, there is a lower limit on
price that I can expect to find.

I am not looking for crap that would fall apart after a few hours of
use.

RoyJ April 6th 05 03:51 AM

Yes you can but...................

I picked up a very nice 10"x24" mid '40s Logan Lathe with manual change
gears for $300, spent another $200 on bearings, belt, wire, chucks, and
tooling. I'd probably had it on my "buy it if you find a nice one" list
for 5 years. It came from an estate, I put in an offer and didn't hear
back from them for weeks. Got a phone call, rounded up a helper, drove
there, dismantled, struggled to get it out of the basement and loaded up
all in the same afternoon. It was under power but no way to check for
accuracy or wear. I lucked out nicely. I had a similar unit (not Logan)
about 10 years ago that had completely trashed babbit bearings and no
tooling. It went back out CHEAP to the first available buyer. YMMV

Haven't found a decent Bridgeport yet.

Beware on any of these, lack of tooling will eat your savings quickly.

jim rozen April 6th 05 04:29 AM

In article , Ignoramus9874 says...

Would it be possible to buy a nice, single phase lathe or mill for
under $1,000.00? I am willing to look hard at military sales (unlikely to
find anything small enough for my garage), garage sales, etc. I am not
looking to buy a brand new item at an upscale store. I want to look
for a bargain, but, as all bargains go, there is a lower limit on
price that I can expect to find.

I am not looking for crap that would fall apart after a few hours of
use.

You may have to do some work on it, but I think the answer is "yes."
It will depend to a large degree on where you live, and it also will
depend on how long you want to be on the search.

As an example, a close friend of mine recently sold a 10 inch
seneca falls machine, *plus* a small bench shear, for 500 bucks.
The lathe was actually pretty well tooled, with some decent chucks
and a steady rest.

The general rule that I tend to ascribe to is that a decent condition
9" model A typically runs around 800 bucks or so. For that you might
get some pretty clapped out tooling and a lathe with considerable
wear on the bed. Be prepared to re-wire it and maybe put a new
motor on. But you can pretty much do that for under 1K and have a
machine that will do some halfway decent work.

A lot of this depends on targets of opportunity, you need to
be plugged in to the local classifeds and be willing to show
up at sales with cash-in-hand. If you find something you like,
fork over the money and remove the most vital parts of the machine
immediately, even if you plan on comming back for the rest later.
That way somebody else can't show up and skunk your sale by overpaying.
But being able to buy locally, where you can a) eliminate shipping
charges, and b) inspect the machine before closing the deal, is
key to getting a good deal.

What are you planning on making with the lathe?

Jim

please reply to:

Jerry Foster April 6th 05 04:45 AM

"Ignoramus9874" wrote in message
Would it be possible to buy a nice, single phase lathe or mill for
under $1,000.00? I am willing to look hard at military sales (unlikely to
find anything small enough for my garage), garage sales, etc. I am not
looking to buy a brand new item at an upscale store. I want to look
for a bargain, but, as all bargains go, there is a lower limit on
price that I can expect to find.

I am not looking for crap that would fall apart after a few hours of
use.

Make friends with a machine shop owner. A shop will often sell a good,
older machine because they need the space to replace it with a newer one
(often bought from another shop/auction, etc., so there is no dealer
involved to take away the old one). And most shop owners know other shop
owners who might have surplus machines. I got three good machines that
way -- two had been in daily service and were ready to use. The third
needed some work, but I got it free for hauling it away.

But you should expect to get a three phase converter. One converter can
power multiple machines, especially since you tend to use them one at a
time anyhow...

Jerry

jim rozen April 6th 05 07:49 AM

In article , Ignoramus9874 says...

What are you planning on making with the lathe?

I have no idea, I just sold a certain small piece of business (not a
big deal, but a bit of "free money") and want to buy something fun and
nice. It would be either a lathe, a mill, or a sniper rifle.

If you are willing to do some fix-er-uping on the machine, that
will expand your options tremendously.

Jim

please reply to:

Proctologically Violated©® April 6th 05 02:18 PM

Get the lathe/mill, then you can make plenny of sniper rifles, and w/ no
markings/numbers. Oh, and yer own silencers...
Can't beat dat...
Might I suggest the ethical choosing of targets: loiyers, stockbrokers, the
like...
Please, no blue-collars....
----------------------------
Mr. P.V.'d
formerly Droll Troll
On 5 Apr 2005 20:29:43 -0700, jim rozen wrote:
In article , Ignoramus9874 says...

Would it be possible to buy a nice, single phase lathe or mill for
under $1,000.00? I am willing to look hard at military sales (unlikely to
find anything small enough for my garage), garage sales, etc. I am not
looking to buy a brand new item at an upscale store. I want to look
for a bargain, but, as all bargains go, there is a lower limit on
price that I can expect to find.

I am not looking for crap that would fall apart after a few hours of
use.

You may have to do some work on it, but I think the answer is "yes."
It will depend to a large degree on where you live, and it also will
depend on how long you want to be on the search.

A few months should be fine.

As an example, a close friend of mine recently sold a 10 inch
seneca falls machine, *plus* a small bench shear, for 500 bucks.
The lathe was actually pretty well tooled, with some decent chucks
and a steady rest.

The general rule that I tend to ascribe to is that a decent condition
9" model A typically runs around 800 bucks or so. For that you might
get some pretty clapped out tooling and a lathe with considerable
wear on the bed. Be prepared to re-wire it and maybe put a new
motor on. But you can pretty much do that for under 1K and have a
machine that will do some halfway decent work.

sounds nice.

Proctologically Violated©® April 6th 05 02:38 PM

Good advice.
The flip side to that is, the answer is No from a machinery dealer.

Defly make the rounds of machine shops--I had shots at exc deals, where the
timing/details just weren't right. Or the machines just *too* robust, like
a 15x48 (or bigger) Breda lathe, w/ *complete* tooling (collet closer,
taper, you name it), excelletly maintained, for $500, mebbe less. Too
big/heavy a machine.

Machinery dealer: either ****ty condition, or asking $3500 for a 10"
belt-driven SB.
If you know what yer doin, you can get a half-decent deal from dealer, but
rarely fully decent.
Keep looking, keep tabs on price vs. value, you'll eventually "know" when
the right deal comes along.

In my case, a very improbable deal came up, an Enco, yeah, I know, thumbs
down, right?
Wrong.
I would (and did) take this Enco over an abused Colchester w/o hesitation.
Why?
Cheap, original owner who completely reworked it and maintained it
meticulously, DRO (!!), snap handle, ALORIS!!!, everything (incl a set of
collets) except a taper attachment.
Is it a Colchester? No way.
Is it better than a beat-up Colchester? For me, yes.
Was it *right* for me? Absolutely.
And I wouldna known had I not been looking for so long--and posting here
asking about possibilities, as they came up. :)
Yeah, the DRO--man, does it spoil you!

I've heard BPs are really high now. I was offered what seemed to be a
decent Westbury for $900, long table, no tooling/power. But since I'm not a
manual mill person, and am short on space, I can wait.
----------------------------
Mr. P.V.'d
formerly Droll Troll
m...

Proctologically Violated©® April 6th 05 03:41 PM

I was shopping around parts, which might make it easier in a sense.

But most shop owners are more-or-less hospitable to small fries (except for
the really big houses, which you'll be able to tell right quick after a
while), and you can just chit-chat, ask, explain your situation, listen to
what they say. It's kinda fun!
Use your local yellow pages, call, visit. I would call, make a contact, and
then occasionally stop by--Hey, I'm so-and-so, remember me, lookin fer such
and such, howzit goin, blah, blah....
I'd do this more often myself, iffin I had the time.

Also, someone posted about DMRO or DRMO or sumpn--military auctions.
Also, more and more end-users are making it trad'l machinery auctions, which
really ****es off the dealers.

Also, altho I'm no fan of machy dealers, the big ones have incredible
inventory, and you can listen/learn. NJ has possibly one of the biggest
warehouses on the east coast--forgot the name, but they have airplane
hangars filled w/ stuff.
And who knows, you might find a deal!
----------------------------
Mr. P.V.'d
formerly Droll Troll
"Ignoramus21451" wrote in message
Thanks PV. I am wondering how you find machine shops to talk to.

Rick April 6th 05 05:08 PM

"Ignoramus21451" wrote in message
Thanks. I am a little confused on terminology. What is an engine
lathe?

Also, what do you think about this Hardinge lathe:

http://cgi.govliquidation.com/auction/view?id=534758

I've been thinking of going to take a look at that. A few days go I heard
Selfridge may be closing. To bad-we had a lot of fun going to the DRMO...

Dev Null April 6th 05 11:32 PM

Ignoramus21451 wrote in
:

Thanks. I am a little confused on terminology. What is an engine
lathe?

An engine lathe is just a lathe with an engine (originally a steam
engine) directly attached to it for power. The term is archaic but
it is still used.

[email protected] April 7th 05 03:56 AM

I am a small time used machinery dealer so this is going to be a fairly
long response. Gunner asked me to reply to this as I might lend a
little authority to some of the other answers. If I was looking for a
lathe or mill I would do my homework. I would find out which ones are
crap and which ones sought after. I might even consider making a
spreadsheet from all desirable item sales on eBay. I would then start
watching garage sales, estate sales and newspaper ads. By knowing a
fair price for the machine you can make quick decisions when they
become available. That is one of the keys to buying right. Recognize
the deal is a good one and leap. I usuually carry a couple of one
hundred dollar bills in my wallet to seal deals that are too good to be
true. Once the seller has even part of your money they consider the
item sold. I think visiting small machine shops would be an annoyance
to the owners and pretty much a waste of time. There aren't many
conventional lathes left in shops these days. They tend to keep one or
two to do small jobs but they have dumped the ones the were used to
earn a living. My primary source for small lathes and mills is auctions
but there is a ceveat here. When I buy five lathes I expect one to be
parted out and sometimes two out of five are wasted. I pay a price that
allows this but if you want to buy just one lathe you have a strong
chance of buying the one with the seized spindle or stripped gears.

Can you buy a good lathe or mill for $1000.00? The answer is
definetly yes. I do on a regular basis but then I put out the word
that I am buying and I check out the deals offered, ready to spring
when the price is right. I have bought machines on eBay and sold them
for twice my original investment but that is a rare occurrence. I
think for a first time buyer the safest and best way to acquire a
machine is to find a dealer you can trust and describe what you want. I
am quite willing to sell a nice machine at modest mark-up if I only
have to own for a day or two. I love to buy for a peson waiting to buy
from me. A dealer offers several valuable features not usually found at
auctions or private sales. Instant decisions are seldom required. You
can ponder a purchase for a couple of days and not run a big risk of
losing out. The dealer usually offers some type of warrantee or a least
an evaluation of the proposed purchase. The dealer usually has power so
the machine can be run and tested. He often knows which machines to
avoid and why. Transportation becomes less of an issue. Auctions and
private sales often have unpleasant time lines. "Machines can only be
picked up during working hours on weekdays"; is most common. Dealers
usually have the equipment to load and often to transport and unload.
In our particular case we have a towable "Cherry Picker" that can be
used on lathes up to about 12" swing and this will run the machine
right up to it final resting place. Dealers expect that if you are
happy with your first purchase you may become a more frequent customer.
Most garage sale sellers, estate auctions, etc. never expect to sell
you again so try their damndest to extract the largest toll on the
first offering. I could go on for a couple more pages but I think these
are the highlights of I would continue to day. Leigh@MarMachine

Jerry Foster April 7th 05 05:03 AM

The term, "engine lathe" comes from the dim and foggy past when any complex
machine was called an "engine." This pre-dates gasoline and even steam
engines. The term today applies to the common, general purpose metal
turning lathe and the name implies that the machine has a gear-driven
leadscrew so that it can cut threads, etc.

Jerry

"Ignoramus21451" wrote in message
Thanks. I am a little confused on terminology. What is an engine
lathe?

Also, what do you think about this Hardinge lathe:

http://cgi.govliquidation.com/auction/view?id=534758

On Wed, 6 Apr 2005 10:41:52 -0400, Proctologically Violated©®

Bruce L. Bergman April 7th 05 07:32 AM

On Wed, 6 Apr 2005 09:18:49 -0400, "Proctologically Violated©®"
wrote:

Get the lathe/mill, then you can make plenny of sniper rifles, and w/ no
markings/numbers. Oh, and yer own silencers...
Can't beat dat...
Might I suggest the ethical choosing of targets: loiyers, stockbrokers, the
like...
Please, no blue-collars....
----------------------------
Mr. P.V.'d
formerly Droll Troll

You /do/ realize that your post above just made the "Carnivore"
monitoring system installed at your ISP (the one that doesn't exist,
you understand...) go *-¡TILT!-*

You might want to shave and put on clean clothes for when the nice
BATF agents come over for a visit. And pack an overnight bag if you
plan to have an attitude. ;-P

-- Bruce --

Gunner April 7th 05 07:56 AM

On 6 Apr 2005 04:56:42 GMT, Ignoramus9874
wrote:

[...]

All three are gifts that keep on giving.

Gunner

Rule #35
"That which does not kill you,
has made a huge tactical error"

Gunner April 7th 05 08:10 AM

On 6 Apr 2005 14:27:38 GMT, Ignoramus21451
wrote:

Thanks PV. I am wondering how you find machine shops to talk to.

Its quite simple. Let your fingers do the walking through the Yellow
pages. Simply walk in the front door and ask for the owner or plant
manager. Tell him you are looking for an old lathe for your home shop.
Ask him if there is anything in the bone yard. If he doesnt have
anything..leave your business card with a note on the front..Wants
lathe.

While you are in the industrial area, drive the alleys and look at the
back 40 of the businesses..lots of stuff collecting dust in the back
of some shops.

Works for me. Sometimes...much too well...

Gunner

Gunner April 7th 05 08:14 AM

On Wed, 06 Apr 2005 16:08:08 GMT, "Rick" wrote:

"Ignoramus21451" wrote in message
Thanks. I am a little confused on terminology. What is an engine
lathe?

Also, what do you think about this Hardinge lathe:

http://cgi.govliquidation.com/auction/view?id=534758

I've been thinking of going to take a look at that. A few days go I heard
Selfridge may be closing. To bad-we had a lot of fun going to the DRMO...

Its a very early HLV. See the vari speed crank in the door outside
the motor? I have a similar machine, but the TFB version.

From the pictures..it actually looks pretty good.

jim rozen April 7th 05 01:10 PM

In article , Gunner says...

http://cgi.govliquidation.com/auction/view?id=534758

Its a very early HLV. See the vari speed crank in the door outside
the motor? I have a similar machine, but the TFB version.

Maybe an HLVB? I can't tell if it has the wide bed, or the
DV-59 sized one, which would put it as a "B" model. I couldn't
get a good look at it, because I won't run javascript and the
url for the big jpg wasn't obvious.

Jim

please reply to:

Proctologically Violated©® April 7th 05 03:53 PM

wrote:

Get the lathe/mill, then you can make plenny of sniper rifles, and w/ no
markings/numbers. Oh, and yer own silencers...
Can't beat dat...
Might I suggest the ethical choosing of targets: loiyers, stockbrokers,
the
like...
Please, no blue-collars....
----------------------------
Mr. P.V.'d
formerly Droll Troll

You /do/ realize that your post above just made the "Carnivore"
monitoring system installed at your ISP (the one that doesn't exist,
you understand...) go *-¡TILT!-*

You might want to shave and put on clean clothes for when the nice
BATF agents come over for a visit. And pack an overnight bag if you
plan to have an attitude. ;-P

I wasn't advocating choosing a target. Just that if a target was an
inevitability, some would be better choices than others.
Which Shakespeare fully recognized, and expressed.
But indeed far better to keep a lid on such things. Far more exquisitely
exacting to bankrupt mutha****as than to off'em.
But that requires far more organization than we as a rabble seem able to
muster.
So some just, uh, aim more directly. Hopefully they'll spare the
bluecollars.
----------------------------
Mr. P.V.'d
formerly Droll Troll

-- Bruce --

Proctologically Violated©® April 7th 05 04:02 PM

Catruckman's exposition was mostly useful, imo, except I think he somewhat
idealizes the role, intent, and attitude of the machinery dealer. I don't
know that the "expectation of repeat business" is an esp. strong factor
amongst dealers, not like the "negative reviews" on ebay are, being so
plainly visible/available.

I have had very bad experiences w/ dealers, fortunately w/ small amounts of
money. I've heard of very bad experiences w/ large amounts of money, and
I've heard good things.
He's very right about auctions. Tough to tell what's really on the inside
of the machine, condition-wise.
Even w/ money back'n'all, you are out lots of shipping, lots of time,
energy, angst.
Bottom line, know as much as you can, and watch yer back.
If you can find a dealer you can trust, and are putting together a complete
shop, he would indeed be invaluable.
----------------------------
Mr. P.V.'d
formerly Droll Troll
"Ignoramus21451" wrote in message
Thanks Catruckman. All excellent points. I already buy a lot of stuff
for resale, with some share of disappointments, so I am not deathly
afraid of doing my best, buying a bargaid then realizing that I bought
a complete dud. It happens to me anyway with military surplus.

Yo have made an excellent point on following sale prices almost
obsessively, in order to learn what is hot and what is not. I will try
to do that.

Regarding pickup, yes, it could be an issue. Unloading is not an issue
for me, as I have a chain hoist.

Thanks for shedding some more light on this.

Rex B April 7th 05 04:30 PM

Ignoramus21451 wrote:

Would it be possible to buy a nice, single phase lathe or mill for
under $1,000.00? I am willing to look hard at military sales (unlikely
find anything small enough for my garage), garage sales, etc. I am not
looking to buy a brand new item at an upscale store. I want to look
for a bargain, but, as all bargains go, there is a lower limit on
price that I can expect to find.

I am not looking for crap that would fall apart after a few hours of
use.

In all these posts I never saw where you are located. Makes a big
difference. Apparently the Northeast and Southern Cal are awash in
surplus machines. North Texas and Colorado are not. Other areas
probably vary.

Here in DFW area I check the online classifieds of the major newspapers
and classified rags. About 5 sites, punch in 'lathe' in the search box.
Found a couple like that. Right now there is a 10" Sheldon I need to go
look at, $1000 obo. Also a 12" Atlas w/QC for $700, about 2 hours away.
And a Rockwell 10"x36 for $500 (w/taper attachment) on the other side
of Dallas. And a Logan 14" for $1200 very negotiable, which I passed up.

It also depends on the size you want. 12" and under are sought after by
hobbyists. Southbend lathes seem to be overpriced. Look for a nice
Logan, I think those are the best deals for a home shop.

jim rozen April 7th 05 04:37 PM

In article , Ignoramus30662 says...

I am not too concerned about catruckman's opinion on dealers, since I
am not expecting to find bargains at dealers. My objective is to buy
something below ebay prices.

If you can find a good dealer, it will be better than ebay by
far. I've been lucky because Sobel's was nearby and I've purchased
most of my machinery from him. The most recent 10L lathe was
a pretty good deal as it was in very good condition, and priced
at a fair market value I feel.

If you do have dealers nearby, by all means make it a habit to
visit them periodically, and develop a relationship with any
of them that you think deserve it.

Jim

please reply to:

Proctologically Violated©® April 7th 05 04:57 PM

IOW, no bargains on ebay!! You got *dat* right!!
Altho others disagree. But I think bargains only exist when at that
particular time interest is low, little bidding. Otherwise, open up yer
wallet! Again, luck of the draw...
And then, you *still* gotta worry about shills, etc.
Assholes, be they in government or amongst the rabble, drive up prices.
----------------------------
Mr. P.V.'d
formerly Droll Troll
"Ignoramus30662" wrote in message
I am not too concerned about catruckman's opinion on dealers, since I
am not expecting to find bargains at dealers. My objective is to buy
something below ebay prices.

Proctologically Violated©® April 7th 05 05:21 PM

"Rex B" wrote in message
Ignoramus21451 wrote:

[...]

Wow... a dealer by me claimed a guy was driving up from effing Delaware to
Yonkers NY for that Rockwell, w/ no taper, but snap handle, chucks, etc, for
$2500!!! Turned out the back gears were stripped!!
I was gonna take it as was for $750, but then he got stupid and greedy and
backed out, and insisted on fixing it cuz he just couldn't forget about dat
$2500. Claimed similar Rockwells were going for $2500 on ebay.
Yeah, to assholes.
Claims it cost him $1K at auction.
Can't get parts for those Rockwells. He claims someone is making the back
gears for him for like $150. I'll believe it when I see it.

For $3K, you can get Clausing Colchesters, Harrisons w/ snap handles. And
that's by me, in my over-priced area, where people are living w/ their
furniture in Uhaul storage lockers.
Yeah, 10" belt SB, LI a dealer wanted $3500. Please..... what, cuzza the
new paint??? Spare me....
But, nice lathes.

Logans are OK. Used one for quite a while. Not fancy, but no complaints.
Don't know if mine had power feed, tho. Spin collet closer, just dying to
rip someone's sweater off....
I've seen Logan's nicely set up, cheap, iffin you could haul'em out of a
basement in Mass. Might still be available.
----------
Mr. P.V'd

Gunner April 7th 05 05:41 PM

On 7 Apr 2005 05:10:48 -0700, jim rozen
wrote:

In article , Gunner says...

http://cgi.govliquidation.com/auction/view?id=534758

Its a very early HLV. See the vari speed crank in the door outside
the motor? I have a similar machine, but the TFB version.

Maybe an HLVB? I can't tell if it has the wide bed, or the
DV-59 sized one, which would put it as a "B" model. I couldn't
get a good look at it, because I won't run javascript and the
url for the big jpg wasn't obvious.

Jim

I believe you are correct, it is a B. It appears to have the narrow
bed, like my TFB. Which btw..is not a deal breaker. I seldom notice
any difference between it and my HLV_H and in fact..if truth be
known..my TFB holds tighter tolerances.
Mine was made in England.

Java script is not bad as long as the rest of your security is tight.

Gunner April 7th 05 05:44 PM

On 7 Apr 2005 13:26:16 GMT, Ignoramus30662
wrote:

On 7 Apr 2005 05:10:48 -0700, jim rozen wrote:
In article , Gunner says...

http://cgi.govliquidation.com/auction/view?id=534758

Its a very early HLV. See the vari speed crank in the door outside
the motor? I have a similar machine, but the TFB version.

Maybe an HLVB? I can't tell if it has the wide bed, or the
DV-59 sized one, which would put it as a "B" model. I couldn't
get a good look at it, because I won't run javascript and the
url for the big jpg wasn't obvious.

You can see enlarged photos at

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/gl/hardinge/

no javascript on my page and the photos (rather lousy) have been
enlarged.

Is the chuck missing?

Not a problem btw..lots of them around.

Btw..its impossible to tell if its a threaded spindle nose or 4degree
cam-lock taper, as the spindle cover is on. But both are common as
dirt.

How big is it and how heavy it might be?

Its about 6 ' long, and right at 1800 lbs. A very nice size actually.
I can give you exact dimensions this weekend as my TFB is the same
footprint.

That should be a good machine.

Gunner April 7th 05 05:46 PM

wrote:

[...]

I should interject here...there are good dealers and bad dealers.
There is a select group here in So. Cal, that I trust implicitly,
others I trust but verify.

The top 3 include Catruckman btw.

Gunner

----------------------------

jim rozen April 7th 05 06:28 PM

In article , Ignoramus30662 says...

Also, can you tell me about them a little more, what is the HP (kW)
rating, does it have power feed etc?

Power cross and longitudinal feeds via the motor on the front
of the apron. Those are nice because the feed rates are totally
indepenent of the spindle speed, and can be varied with a dial
while your cut is in progress.

IIRC the motor is a two-speed, consequent pole design that is
3/4 hp on the high speed, 3/8 hp on the low speed.

One thing to watch for is, if the motor is 480 volt it may not
be reconfigurable to run off of 240. In that case you either
have to a) install another hardinge two-speed motor designed for
240, install a single speed motor, or get a step-up transformer.

This is only a problem if the machine in question is indeed 480
volt, I didn't scan the auction carefully enough.

Jim

please reply to:

Rex B April 7th 05 11:15 PM

Ignoramus30662 wrote:
On Thu, 07 Apr 2005 10:30:04 -0500, Rex B wrote:

Ignoramus21451 wrote:

Would it be possible to buy a nice, single phase lathe or mill for
under $1,000.00? I am willing to look hard at military sales (unlikely
find anything small enough for my garage), garage sales, etc. I am not
looking to buy a brand new item at an upscale store. I want to look
for a bargain, but, as all bargains go, there is a lower limit on
price that I can expect to find.

I am not looking for crap that would fall apart after a few hours of
use.

In all these posts I never saw where you are located. Makes a big
difference. Apparently the Northeast and Southern Cal are awash in
surplus machines. North Texas and Colorado are not. Other areas
probably vary.

I am in Northern IL.

Here in DFW area I check the online classifieds of the major newspapers
and classified rags. About 5 sites, punch in 'lathe' in the search box.
Found a couple like that. Right now there is a 10" Sheldon I need to go
look at, $1000 obo. Also a 12" Atlas w/QC for $700, about 2 hours away.
And a Rockwell 10"x36 for $500 (w/taper attachment) on the other side
of Dallas. And a Logan 14" for $1200 very negotiable, which I passed up.

It also depends on the size you want. 12" and under are sought after by
hobbyists. Southbend lathes seem to be overpriced. Look for a nice
Logan, I think those are the best deals for a home shop.

Any examples of them on the web with pictures?

Thanks!

Start at the Yahoo Lathe list. Active list, dedicated to Logan lathes,
owned/moderated by Scott Logan, who supports the lathes with parts and
accessories http://www.loganact.com/
Always people there that have one for sale, or know where one can be
had, along with help in shopping.

--
- -
Rex Burkheimer

Rex B April 7th 05 11:19 PM

1800 lbs means that it cannot be transported in the bed of my half ton
dodge ram pickup. Is that right?

The pickup should be OK. Lifting in in and out at bed height will
be...interesting. Let me know how you do it, please.

--
- -
Rex Burkheimer

Proctologically Violated©® April 8th 05 01:09 AM

I had no doubts! :)
----------------------------
Mr. P.V.'d
formerly Droll Troll

Jerry Foster April 8th 05 02:49 AM

"Rex B" wrote in message

1800 lbs means that it cannot be transported in the bed of my half ton
dodge ram pickup. Is that right?

The pickup should be OK. Lifting in in and out at bed height will
be...interesting. Let me know how you do it, please.

--
- -
Rex Burkheimer
WM Automotive
Fort Worth TX

One caveat on the pickup. What do you have for rear tires? I blew one on a
heavy 3/4 ton pickup hauling a load of concrete slabs. It went down hard
enough to bend the rim. NO FUN 30 miles from home... (The old tires were,
admittedly, several years old...)

Jerry

Gunner April 8th 05 03:06 AM

wrote:

[...]

I see. thanks.

How big is it and how heavy it might be?

Its about 6 ' long, and right at 1800 lbs. A very nice size actually.
I can give you exact dimensions this weekend as my TFB is the same
footprint.

1800 lbs means that it cannot be transported in the bed of my half ton
dodge ram pickup. Is that right?

Wellllll......there have been a lot of them brought home that way.
With no issues that I know of.

That should be a good machine.

Thanks. If I can get it for a ridiculous price, which I doubt, I will
drive there to get it. What would be a sensible price to pay for it?

Also, can you tell me about them a little more, what is the HP (kW)
rating, does it have power feed etc?

They have a two speed motor (most of them) half and 3/4 hp. Probably
draws 10 amps tops on start up or when doing a reverse at high speeds.

Power feeds in both axis. Actually kind of neat way they do it, with a
small motor on the carraige, and a switch for forwards and reverse,
and a pot for speed control. Very handly.

Gunner April 8th 05 03:08 AM

On Thu, 7 Apr 2005 20:09:11 -0400, "Proctologically Violated©®"
wrote:

I had no doubts! :)

I dont hang around the shady ones. Steve Haer with CNC Traders is in
the top 3 as well. I believe you have heard of him.

Gunner

----------------------------
Mr. P.V.'d
formerly Droll Troll
.. .

Gunner April 8th 05 03:10 AM

On Thu, 7 Apr 2005 12:21:16 -0400, "Proctologically Violated©®"
wrote:

Logans are OK. Used one for quite a while. Not fancy, but no complaints.
Don't know if mine had power feed, tho. Spin collet closer, just dying to
rip someone's sweater off....
I've seen Logan's nicely set up, cheap, iffin you could haul'em out of a
basement in Mass. Might still be available.
----------
Mr. P.V'd

If you were going for a Logan, get the 11". Its got a 5c spindle
nose.

So do the 12s and 14s, but they are orders heavier.

jim rozen April 8th 05 04:26 AM

In article , Ignoramus30662 says...

Sounds like a nice, "real thing", although 3/4 hp on a lathe is really
low, IMHO.

Those machines are not built to take heavy cuts, really. Also
note: they do not have back gears, so the min spindle speed in
low range is around 500 rpm or so.

Jim

please reply to:

Jerry Foster April 8th 05 04:57 AM

"Ignoramus30662" wrote in message
On Fri, 08 Apr 2005 01:49:26 GMT, Jerry Foster

wrote:

One caveat on the pickup. What do you have for rear tires? I blew one

on a
heavy 3/4 ton pickup hauling a load of concrete slabs. It went down

hard
enough to bend the rim. NO FUN 30 miles from home... (The old tires

were,
admittedly, several years old...)

I have relatively new tires from Sam's club, not even a year old. I am
more concerned with the bed buckling or the suspension failing, etc.

I did haul about 1200 lbs loads, the truck was visibly lowered, but
handled it just fine.

That won't be a problem. Just don't go too fast on a rough road g.

If the machine is on legs, so the weight is concentrated in a few small
areas, put a couple skid boards under it (2x10s work good...)

Jerry

Gunner April 8th 05 05:46 AM

wrote:

1800 lbs means that it cannot be transported in the bed of my half ton
dodge ram pickup. Is that right?

Wellllll......there have been a lot of them brought home that way.
With no issues that I know of.

Got it.

They have a two speed motor (most of them) half and 3/4 hp. Probably
draws 10 amps tops on start up or when doing a reverse at high speeds.

Power feeds in both axis. Actually kind of neat way they do it, with a
small motor on the carraige, and a switch for forwards and reverse,
and a pot for speed control. Very handly.

Sounds like a nice, "real thing", although 3/4 hp on a lathe is really
low, IMHO. The lathe I used a long time ago had a 10 kW motor, if my memory
serves me right (yes, it was big).

My HLVH has a similar motor. I can shear off .250 at a pass on CRS
without bogging

http://home.lightspeed.net/~gunner/myshop/smoking.jpg

Gunner April 8th 05 05:47 AM

On 7 Apr 2005 20:26:02 -0700, jim rozen
wrote:

In article , Ignoramus30662 says...

Sounds like a nice, "real thing", although 3/4 hp on a lathe is really
low, IMHO.

Those machines are not built to take heavy cuts, really. Also
note: they do not have back gears, so the min spindle speed in
low range is around 500 rpm or so.

Jim

Actually..its down about 75 rpm Two speed motor, vari-drive. You can
take a respectable cut, or tap easily

bigiron April 8th 05 10:14 AM

Well, I will be honest here. I live near this lathe and have been to
see it. I am not sure of the voltage. There are a few collets in the
drawer, but that's it for tooling. The var speed wheel on front is
damaged, aparently from being moved/shipped. The spindle speed shifter
lever is froze up. The rust is surface only, nothing too serious. a
few things are missing, like taper atachment.

It'll need some work for sure, but it looks fair. And for this area,
thats rare. I've been looking for a lathe for about 5 years and have
my money all saved up. I seem to run into the odd lathe at auctions on
occasion, but usualy not to my liking.

I too was hoping this lathe would go for a song, but it looks like
we'll be bidding against eachother. :(

good luck,
Scott

Gunner April 8th 05 10:35 AM

On 8 Apr 2005 02:14:15 -0700, "bigiron" wrote:

Well, I will be honest here. I live near this lathe and have been to
see it. I am not sure of the voltage. There are a few collets in the
drawer, but that's it for tooling. The var speed wheel on front is
damaged, aparently from being moved/shipped. The spindle speed shifter
lever is froze up. The rust is surface only, nothing too serious. a
few things are missing, like taper atachment.

It'll need some work for sure, but it looks fair. And for this area,
thats rare. I've been looking for a lathe for about 5 years and have
my money all saved up. I seem to run into the odd lathe at auctions on
occasion, but usualy not to my liking.

I too was hoping this lathe would go for a song, but it looks like
we'll be bidding against eachother. :(

good luck,
Scott

Are you referring to the Hardinge? When (not if) you get it, I can
likely help you out with it. Keep in touch

Btw...the taper attachment is not missing. It, like the follower rest
and steady rest, were very very expensive add ons.

However..they can be made . I have a complete taper attachment that I
can copy, or at the least, take measurements from. Its quite simple.