zxcvbob

Default pressure washers/sprayers

I just bought a 2.5 gpm x 2700 psi pressure washer; I got the cheapest
one I could find with a decent pump. It has a Comet AXD pump and a
Honda GC190 engine. (Too bad it's not the GS series engine, but then it
would probably cost quite a bit more.)
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=6970&productId=200241274&R= 200241274

The 5HP washer that looks just like it was also on sale at the store
even though it's not on sale in the catalog, but it has a Comet VXD pump
that looked cheap and not very durable.

The salesguy at Northern who was telling me how to set it up said, "BTW,
you gotta bring it inside for the winter if your shop or garage is not
heated." I asked about draining it and blowing it out with compressed
air, and he said that's not good enough, it could still have just a
little water in the manifold or cylinders and ruin the pump if it freezes.

OK, I can do that, but I'm not too keen on the idea of bringing a
gasoline engine in the house and storing it in the basement by the gas
water heater.

How hard is it to remove the pump? More importantly, how hard is it to
reinstall the pump? It looks like just 4 easy-to-reach bolts and the
pump will slide right off, but how is it coupled to the motor shaft and
how hard is it to line everything back up again?

Thanks, and best regards,
Bob
~Roy~

I have yet to have a problem with the method I use to store mine. I
take a short piece of hose that fits on where you hook up the water
hose to, and pour in some anti freeze, pull the recoil a few times
until it pumps it into the pump and though the discharge pressure
line. When you get anti freeze coming out there is no reason it will
freeze at least not down to what the anti freeze is rated to.........

I just disconnect the pressure hose and drain it. It onbly takes a
couple of minutes ot get anti freeze though the pump, so I use mine
all year round and once again afater use in cold weather run more anti
freeze though it. I know others that uyse windshild washer anti freeze
with equal results, but that would depend on just how cold your area
gets.

Wash it off after filling with anti freeze just in case you have a
dog or cat that likes to lick on anti freeze spills!

On Fri, 01 Apr 2005 19:17:13 -0600, zxcvbob
wrote:

===I just bought a 2.5 gpm x 2700 psi pressure washer; I got the cheapest
===one I could find with a decent pump. It has a Comet AXD pump and a
===Honda GC190 engine. (Too bad it's not the GS series engine, but then it
===would probably cost quite a bit more.)
===http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=6970&productId=200241274&R= 200241274
===
[...]

zxcvbob

~Roy~ wrote:
I have yet to have a problem with the method I use to store mine. I
take a short piece of hose that fits on where you hook up the water
hose to, and pour in some anti freeze, pull the recoil a few times
until it pumps it into the pump and though the discharge pressure
line. When you get anti freeze coming out there is no reason it will
freeze at least not down to what the anti freeze is rated to.........

[snip]

Wash it off after filling with anti freeze just in case you have a
dog or cat that likes to lick on anti freeze spills!

Thanks. BTW, that RV antifreeze is good down to about -50° and is
generally regarded as being nontoxic. It sometimes drops down to about
-30° here, but it never got that cold this year.

Bob
twfsa

I seen a squeeze bottle at Menards that screws on to the inlet side of the
pump, they sell them where the power washers are, you could fill it with RV
anti Freeze and fill the pump with it.The bottle came with a lubrication
additive in the bottle for the pump.

Tom

"zxcvbob" wrote in message
~Roy~ wrote:
I have yet to have a problem with the method I use to store mine. I
take a short piece of hose that fits on where you hook up the water
hose to, and pour in some anti freeze, pull the recoil a few times
until it pumps it into the pump and though the discharge pressure
line. When you get anti freeze coming out there is no reason it will
freeze at least not down to what the anti freeze is rated to.........

[snip]

Wash it off after filling with anti freeze just in case you have a
dog or cat that likes to lick on anti freeze spills!

Thanks. BTW, that RV antifreeze is good down to about -50° and is
generally regarded as being nontoxic. It sometimes drops down to
about -30° here, but it never got that cold this year.

Bob

Waynemak

I just will run mine dry on gas, I do use it in the middle of winter to
clean the cars so the antifreeze thing won't work for me. I just put a
little gas to do what I need and run it dry. I have had no fumes.
"zxcvbob" wrote in message
[...]

JR North

If you are really worried, let it suck up some antifreeze and shut it down.
JR
Dweller in the cellar

zxcvbob wrote:
[...]

Dependence is Vulnerability:
"Open the Pod Bay Doors please, Hal"
Gary Brady

zxcvbob wrote:
[...]

It's a lot easier to drain the gasoline and run the carb dry. That
should eliminate any fumes.

--
Gary Brady
Austin, TX
Joseph Meehan

zxcvbob wrote:

The salesguy at Northern who was telling me how to set it up said,
"BTW, you gotta bring it inside for the winter if your shop or garage
is not heated." I asked about draining it and blowing it out with
compressed air, and he said that's not good enough, it could still
have just a little water in the manifold or cylinders and ruin the
pump if it freezes.

You just made me even happier that I bought the electric one I have.
Just carry it down to the basement in the fall and back to the garage in the
spring. Never any problems starting it either.

For the record, it works great for my needs, but it would be a little to
a lot underpowered for many needs.

--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Stormin Mormon

Two things come to mind.

1) Just run the engine dry of gas, there should only be a couple ounces
left. If it's still a concern, leave the gascap off for a couple days to let
the rest dry out. Or suck the gas out with a turkey baster.

2) Gasoline is hell on rubber products -- don't store gasoline near rubber
tires.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus