Backlash

Default Wood router dangers(long)

Back a few years ago when my Dad was still living, my then 35 yr old
brother-in law Jeremy was talking about wanting a router to try out his
woodworking talent. My Dad got up from his chair and went out to the
workshop to get one, and Jeremy followed, after finishing the conversation
with my Mom. Dad and Jeremy met at the top of the back steps, so they just
stood there and talked about the tool. The router had a 3/4" through-slotted
cutter in it, protruding about 3/8". Jeremy wanted to hear the router run,
so Dad directed him to the overhead soffit, where there was an electrical
plug used for Christmas lights. Jeremy, holding the router in his left hand,
dangles it down by his left hip as he stretches upwards with his right hand
to plug the unit in. The toggle switch on the router was apparently in the
"on" position, un-noticed at the time, where Jeremy had been absent-mindedly
flipping it back and forth while talking. When he plugged the tool in, it of
course instantly started. Dad said he heard a heavy propeller-like sound and
saw something big go flying by his head into the yard, so he turned to see
what it was. There was the router, now unplugged, with a pair of men's
briefs hung up in the cutter, lying on the ground!! Dad whirled back around
to see Jeremy shaken, face white as a sheet, and eyes big as saucers.
Jeremy FLEW to the bathroom to see what damage had been done. (privates
seemed to be a major concern) The only physical damage was a 3/4" hole in
the left hip seam of his jeans, with a slight band-aid wound on his hip
where the router bit had nicked him. The router had sucked his entire pair
of underwear out of his pants in hundredths of a second! Luckily, nothing
critical was hurt, but he ended up with a bruise in his inner crotch at his
left leg, and a severely injured pride. In-law visitation dwindled for a
while after that.
For years afterward, my Dad could not tell the story without crying from
laughing so hard, telling how he stood outside the bathroom door, along with
my HIGHLY concerned sister asking "Jeremy, are you all right?"
Jeremy never mentioned wanting to take up woodworking again.

RJ

Joe S

Backlash wrote:
There was the router, now unplugged, with a pair of men's briefs hung up in the cutter

I was SO relieved that this story had a happy ending.

--
Joe
RicodJour

Backlash wrote:
[...]

I'm glad your BIL didn't ask your dad to see his gun. I was always
under the impression that you demonstrated safe operation to any
newbie.

John Harlow

I'm glad your BIL didn't ask your dad to see his gun. I was always
under the impression that you demonstrated safe operation to any
newbie.

http://www.putfile.com/media.php?n=03084899

m Ransley

That reminds me of a couple of guys that died last week in Chicago
working on their car in a closed garage with the motor running to keep
warm. Darwins theory at work.

G Henslee

m Ransley wrote:
That reminds me of a couple of guys that died last week in Chicago
working on their car in a closed garage with the motor running to keep
warm. Darwins theory at work.

Many years ago I did a repair (fire ins. job) on an apt. unit that some
maroon tired to burn down by storing a gasoline can in the interior
water heater closet. He was using the gas to clean a carbureator he was
rebuilding. Luckily he had stepped out just before the bang occured and
fortunately the fire dept. arrived quickly. The unit was upstairs so
besides the expected interior damage, the roof over that general area
got quite a bit of damage as well. Much of that roof damage was due to
the firemens axe. Quite the mess.
yaofeng

I couldn't finish reading the entire post this morning when there was
no replies yet thinking something gory has happened. Then I saw your
post. Whew..