Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Unknown

Default Red Wire in Ceiling Light Outlet

I am very new to home repair and have a lighting outlet question. When our
house was built we had the contractor put in outlets for ceiling
fans/lights. These outlets have 4 wires. One white, one black, one red,
and one bare copper ground wire.

My question is, what is the red wire for?

I installed a ceiling light (no fan) in one of the outlets. I connected the
white wire to the lamps neutral wire (white). I connected the black wire to
the lamps hot wire (black). I connected the ground wire to the lamps ground
wire (bare copper). I left the red wire unconnected. There is a green
ground screw in the ceiling lights frame that holds it up, but I did not
connect anything to it. I also did not cap the red wire.

Am I going to burn my house down? The light works and doesn't trip the
circuit breaker. I'm just concerned about the red wire and want to know if
there is anything it should be connected to (or should it be capped).

Thanks in advance for your help.

Ceiling light wiring ques barry martin Home Repair 1 March 21st 04 04:55 PM
240 volt wiring Charles Home Repair 11 December 30th 03 11:13 PM
Adding a light to a ceiling fan - doesn't work Jim® Home Repair 3 September 3rd 03 04:30 PM
replacing old non-grounded (2 prong) electric receptacles David Jensen Home Repair 27 August 26th 03 12:14 AM
Change ceiling outlet pull switch to wall switch? Space Cowboy Home Ownership 12 July 1st 03 02:30 PM