Oscar_Lives

Default Best sealer for decks?

What's the best sealer for cedar and redwood decks?

Thanks

m Ransley

Olympic products hold up possibly the longest

Roger Taylor

"Oscar_Lives" wrote in message
What's the best sealer for cedar and redwood decks?

I use Cabot's solid color decking stain. It is mildew resistant, easy to
clean, and long lasting. Just pick the color you want. The clear sealers
without pigment tend to be short lived. Avoid Thompsons.

Evon

I help at a vacation resort with 175 units. Cabot's with pigment by far out
last Thompson's. We did 15 decks with Cabot's, ?Thompson's, and a Lowes
product call "UV". These deck were in the shade and full sun. Cabot's won
hands down.

"Roger Taylor" wrote in message

"Oscar_Lives" wrote in message
What's the best sealer for cedar and redwood decks?

I use Cabot's solid color decking stain. It is mildew resistant, easy to
clean, and long lasting. Just pick the color you want. The clear sealers
without pigment tend to be short lived. Avoid Thompsons.

Brian

Another vote for Cabot.

Semitrans have teflon in them.... Good for baking under
the sun lights

Olympic just feels too watery imho.

Brian

m Ransley

Consumer Reports long term test has olympic lasting longest. it is worth
reading.

Roger Taylor

"m Ransley" wrote in message
Consumer Reports long term test has olympic lasting longest. it is worth
reading.

Which report are you referring to?

In the July 2004 CR, Cabot blew Olympic out of the water in all 3
categories..
Among those "still being tested", Olympic Solid Color rated last of five
still being tested.
Among those for which testing ended due to early deterioration, Olympic
Water Repellent 53106 was discarded , as it looked bad after two years.
For those "whose appearance held up", Olympic Water Guard 57560 rated fifth
of nine that made the grade, and testing was continued. In ranked order,
brands are Cabot, Cabot, Wolman, Akzo Nobel Sikkens, followed by Olympic. As
important as brand was type of treatment, as some types of a single brand
rated all over the charts, such as Olympic. So be sure to get the best rated
type, within brand name.

M. Crew

"Oscar_Lives" wrote
Best sealer for decks?

It depends on the size of your deck. Do you have a little deck, that may be
a bit embarrassing? Or do you have a large deck that you like to show off?
If you've neglected your deck, make sure you check for deck rot. Treat your
deck with respect, after all, it was put there with the intentions of being
attached for life.

Bob G

On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 14:02:48 -0800, "Roger Taylor"
wrote:

"m Ransley" wrote in message
Consumer Reports long term test has olympic lasting longest. it is worth
reading.

============================
Somehow I am not surprised CR rated Olympic as the longest lasting
Sealer...Just another of their Product evaluations that differs from
my own experience ..

Major Reason I have not read a CR issue in a long long time..

Just my opinion

Bob Griffiths

PatK

wrote:

"m Ransley" wrote in message

Consumer Reports long term test has olympic lasting longest. it is worth
reading.

============================
Somehow I am not surprised CR rated Olympic as the longest lasting
Sealer...Just another of their Product evaluations that differs from
my own experience ..

Major Reason I have not read a CR issue in a long long time..

Just my opinion

Bob Griffiths

I used to work at a Porter Paint store and I highly recommend their
Porter Deck sealer. It's very similar to Super Deck, if anybody's heard
of that. But I've heard numerous accounts of it lasting 5 or 6 years
without a recoat. Thompsons Water Seal is made up of only wax. You can
compare it to waxing your car and how long that will last. Just my two
cents.

Pat

New Deck Sealer Over Thompsons Wax Based Sealer: O.K. To Do ? Robert11 Home Repair 3 February 23rd 05 02:59 PM
Porch/Deck Sealer Jim Home Repair 1 December 13th 04 06:07 PM
Plaster sealer Rob Bradley UK diy 5 October 18th 04 03:53 PM
Jack of all trades primer, sealer, undercoat --- master of none? Michael Brewer UK diy 1 March 5th 04 11:21 AM
Hazy Valspar 'Clear' stone/concrete sealer Home Repair 2 August 22nd 03 02:52 AM