jtpryan

Default Clever idea to trace a phone line fault?

For some reason I have lost 1 of my 2 phone lines on the second floor.
This would be the yellow/black pair. If I am correct, the jacks on the
second floor start with the one in my bedroom. Directly below this is
my office, which works. I don't understand why this would happen, I
have done nothing to the jack in my office, it has never been out of
the wall. So, I want to test for continuity between these two points.
I don't have a tone generator, and don't want to buy one just for this.
I'm wondering if anybody has another idea short of running a long wire
from upstairs to downstairs.

Thanks,
Jim

SQLit

"jtpryan" wrote in message
oups.com...
For some reason I have lost 1 of my 2 phone lines on the second floor.
This would be the yellow/black pair. If I am correct, the jacks on the
second floor start with the one in my bedroom. Directly below this is
my office, which works. I don't understand why this would happen, I
have done nothing to the jack in my office, it has never been out of
the wall. So, I want to test for continuity between these two points.
I don't have a tone generator, and don't want to buy one just for this.
I'm wondering if anybody has another idea short of running a long wire
from upstairs to downstairs.

Thanks,
Jim

Do you have a VOM to read continuity? I will bet on loose connections in the
jack before the problem. If you do not have a meter and do not want to buy
one then call a pro or run your cable.

HeyBub

jtpryan wrote:
For some reason I have lost 1 of my 2 phone lines on the second floor.
This would be the yellow/black pair. If I am correct, the jacks on
the second floor start with the one in my bedroom. Directly below
this is my office, which works. I don't understand why this would
happen, I have done nothing to the jack in my office, it has never
been out of the wall. So, I want to test for continuity between
these two points. I don't have a tone generator, and don't want to
buy one just for this. I'm wondering if anybody has another idea
short of running a long wire from upstairs to downstairs.

Thanks,
Jim

Connect the yellow to the black upstairs.

Measure continunity between the yellow and the black downstairs.

jtpryan

Of course! Funny how the obvious escapes us (me)! Yes I do have a
VOM.

Thanks all.
Jim