Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
1_Patriotic_Guy

Default Water softener confused - regenerating too often -- Need help diagnosing

Based on reading my owners manual (GE water softener model PNSF31Z01) and
calling the village water department -

(30,800 grain capacity tank) x .8 (80%, softener regenerates at 80%
saturation) / 15 (water hardness grains per gallon) = 1642 gallons between
regenerations. Based on my water useage (my water bill), the softener should
regenerate about once a month, every 1600 gallons. Since mine is
regenerating daily I checked the diagnosis section of the manual. By
entering the diagnosis mode, I found a water useage readout on the softener.
I flushed a toilet and read the meter on the softener. My house water meter
said I used 2 gallons of water. The sensor on the water softener said I just
used an additional 260 gallons of water. This explains why the softener
regenerates so often; it thinks it is using 200 times more water than it
actually is - So, do I replace the sensor which is a one centimeter long
transistor board with a rubberized tip attached to a 8 inch 2 wire cord that
plugs into a 3 inch by 2 inch main control circuit board?

Only other parts are a position switch (what's it do?), a small motor (what'
s it do?), Is there something I can clean? Nothing looks dirty. Sensor
mounts into a small hole above the water out line of the softener (not sure
how the sensor senses water flow, could something in the water line make it
read incorrectly?) Can someone explain to me how these sensors determine the
amount of water that pass through the line? The sensor and entire softener
is 5 yrs old. How long do the various parts last?

Thanks in advance,

Andy