Edwin Pawlowski

"1_Patriotic_Guy" wrote in message
I found a water useage readout on the softener.
I flushed a toilet and read the meter on the softener. My house water
meter
said I used 2 gallons of water. The sensor on the water softener said I
just
used an additional 260 gallons of water. This explains why the softener
regenerates so often; it thinks it is using 200 times more water than it
actually is - So, do I replace the sensor which is a one centimeter long
transistor board with a rubberized tip attached to a 8 inch 2 wire cord
that
plugs into a 3 inch by 2 inch main control circuit board?

Now that you found the problem, yo can solve it in many ways.

Contact GE customer service and ask them how to fix it
Take a chance at replacing it, but if it is the wrong part, you wasted money
Just regenerate every couple of weeks on your own.

If you don't have one, buy a test kit to check for hardness. Simple to do
as you put water in a vial and put in 5 drops or reagent and see if it turns
blue or pink. Do the test until you find it hard and regenerate a few days
less next time.