Stu

Default MDF as Underlayment for Laminate

I plan on replacing my counter tops. I will be using plywood for the
laminate on the horizontal surfaces but am wondering if MDF can be
used for the back splash. Any comments or suggestions?
ODB

surely glass or tile would be more durable?

"Stu" wrote in message

I plan on replacing my counter tops. I will be using plywood for the
laminate on the horizontal surfaces but am wondering if MDF can be
used for the back splash. Any comments or suggestions?

Colbyt

"Stu" wrote in message

I plan on replacing my counter tops. I will be using plywood for the
laminate on the horizontal surfaces but am wondering if MDF can be
used for the back splash. Any comments or suggestions?

Stu,

I just went through this thought process. I have only done a few lamination
jobs. My last before this one was 17 years ago.

I settled on 7 ply plywood for the splash as well as the countertop because
I could not convince myself that the edges of the MDF would hold the
laminate. AND this was a job I never wanted to do or do again.

Be sure to double coat the raw sanded edges whichever you choose.

Maybe another poster with more experience will offer a better suggestion.

Colbyt

Richard J Kinch

Stu writes:

I plan on replacing my counter tops. I will be using plywood for the
laminate on the horizontal surfaces but am wondering if MDF can be
used for the back splash. Any comments or suggestions?

See my page:

http://www.truetex.com/formica.htm
Stu

On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 02:35:13 -0600, Richard J Kinch
wrote:

Stu writes:

I plan on replacing my counter tops. I will be using plywood for the
laminate on the horizontal surfaces but am wondering if MDF can be
used for the back splash. Any comments or suggestions?

See my page:

http://www.truetex.com/formica.htm

Thanks for the tips Richard (excellent site BTW). I'll be starting
this project tomorrow with MDF.

Robatoy

In article ,
Stu wrote:

I plan on replacing my counter tops. I will be using plywood for the
laminate on the horizontal surfaces but am wondering if MDF can be
used for the back splash. Any comments or suggestions?

MDF is just fine for a countertop. Better in my opinion than plywood,
because plywood can delaminate.
Use an ample amount of contact cement on the edges starting by one coat
thinned then, when it has dried overnight, another two coats of regular
consistency contact cement.

In most cases, regular particle board is a good way to go.