Rob Gray

Default Carrier Water-Cooled Air Conditioner Question

My dad is giving me an old water-cooled Carrier central air conditioner
that used to be used in his home but was impractical due to the need for
circulating water to the system. I can use it in my home because I have
a pond I can use to get water from. The problem is that when the folks
took away his last oil furnace to the dump, they mistakenly took the two
front metal panels from the air conditioner as well since it was the
same color and the panels were leaning against a wall. Anyway, the lower
panel just covers the compressor and bottom of the unit, but the top one
needs to be in place for proper air flow. Would those in the know think
I could find such a part from a unit from the 60's, or should I try to
fabricate one with metal and maybe plywood?

Rob
SQLit

"Rob Gray" wrote in message
My dad is giving me an old water-cooled Carrier central air conditioner
that used to be used in his home but was impractical due to the need for
circulating water to the system. I can use it in my home because I have
a pond I can use to get water from. The problem is that when the folks
took away his last oil furnace to the dump, they mistakenly took the two
front metal panels from the air conditioner as well since it was the
same color and the panels were leaning against a wall. Anyway, the lower
panel just covers the compressor and bottom of the unit, but the top one
needs to be in place for proper air flow. Would those in the know think
I could find such a part from a unit from the 60's, or should I try to
fabricate one with metal and maybe plywood?

Rob

Take pictures and measurements and go to a sheet metal contractor. Have the
panels made from sheet metal, paint to your liking.

Ply wood holds moisture and would not be my choice to protect equipment.

Art

That unit from the 60's should probably go to the dump. I had a Florida
water source Heat pump from the early 80's and even though they were
efficient for their time they are a joke by today's standards.

"Rob Gray" wrote in message
My dad is giving me an old water-cooled Carrier central air conditioner
that used to be used in his home but was impractical due to the need for
circulating water to the system. I can use it in my home because I have a
pond I can use to get water from. The problem is that when the folks took
away his last oil furnace to the dump, they mistakenly took the two front
metal panels from the air conditioner as well since it was the same color
and the panels were leaning against a wall. Anyway, the lower panel just
covers the compressor and bottom of the unit, but the top one needs to be
in place for proper air flow. Would those in the know think I could find
such a part from a unit from the 60's, or should I try to fabricate one
with metal and maybe plywood?

Rob

Rob Gray

"Rob Gray" wrote in message

My dad is giving me an old water-cooled Carrier central air conditioner
that used to be used in his home but was impractical due to the need for
circulating water to the system. I can use it in my home because I have a
pond I can use to get water from. The problem is that when the folks took
away his last oil furnace to the dump, they mistakenly took the two front
metal panels from the air conditioner as well since it was the same color
and the panels were leaning against a wall. Anyway, the lower panel just
covers the compressor and bottom of the unit, but the top one needs to be
in place for proper air flow. Would those in the know think I could find
such a part from a unit from the 60's, or should I try to fabricate one
with metal and maybe plywood?

Rob

I would agree wih a heat pump but was told this unit is still
acceptable, and it is free. I also don't need AC much here except for
maybe two months.
Stormin Mormon

I'd be tempted to call a HVAC company out. It's likely to need the coils
cleaned, more freon added, and so on.

Many HVAC companies can cut and bend pieces of sheet metal to size.
Personally, plywood might be easier to cut to shape. But, please make it
marine or exterior plywood, cause it sounds like it's near the evaporator,
and will get wet.

I've been toying with the idea of making a water cooled AC for my trailer.
Seeing as how it can be 93F out, and the water coming in much cooler than
that.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Heat banks (again!) Dave UK diy 148 September 6th 04 08:45 PM
I need a little advice on running waterlines in an uninsulated crawlspace ozark Home Repair 12 January 29th 04 05:23 AM
Thankless or Tankless hot water heaters [email protected] Home Repair 6 January 29th 04 03:01 AM
Slightly tricky plumbing question Andrew Koenig Home Ownership 3 November 6th 03 09:45 PM