DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Incredible problem (on two fronts) (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/92264-incredible-problem-two-fronts.html)

[email protected] February 21st 05 04:15 PM

Incredible problem (on two fronts)

Hello all

I have a next door neighbor with whom I am very friendly, and we watch
each others' houses in the event the other is out of town. (Her more so
than I, for she is a buyer for a hotel chain and travelles frequently)

On to the problem. This young lady has scads of cats, to be specific, 6
of them. Last night I was eating my supper in front of the tele and
when I was done, I scooped the remains into the garbage disposal, fully
intending to grind it up at a later time.

While I was using the facilities a few moments later, I heard the most
godawful sound from the kitchen followed by a small herd of cats
thundering down the hall and under her bed to hide.

I went in the kitchen, expecting to find the paper towel holder knocked
over or something. Instead, the source of the noise is a young tabby
head first into the disposal, quite dead, and kind of bouncing around.
I have not been able to bring myself to pull the little bloke's body
out yet. The toggle switch for the disposal is on the side of the
faucet, and as best I can tell, the little one poked it's head past the
little rubber triangles that cover the disposal opening looking for my
food. Another cat must have stepped on the switch and activated it,
which makes sense, as the 'on' setting is in the downward position. So
obviously I turned it off posthaste.

In any event, I am going to have to remove this kitten and clean this
disposal out. Electrical things are quite alien to me, and I want to
know what steps I should take to avoid being shocked or cut by this
device. Should I leave it intact and pour bleach in it? Should I run
more food through it? Does it even require cleaning? I do not know what
to do with the body of the cat, but that is another issue. I have not
yet decided whether or not to tell her it ran away or bury it and just
tell her it died sleeping.

But I am afraid if I do not clean the disposal thoroughly and remove
all traces of the kitten, if it ever were to break, the eventual
repairman would take note of the cat hair and suddenly I would be the
friendly next door limey cat murderer. So I must clean it.

What tools should I borrow to use for this and how to get it done with
the least amount of trouble and danger? Please respond soon, as she is
due back this evening and I have a great deal of work to do.

God Bless
Al Kyder

Travis Jordan February 21st 05 04:26 PM

wrote:
But I am afraid if I do not clean the disposal thoroughly and remove
all traces of the kitten, if it ever were to break, the eventual
repairman would take note of the cat hair and suddenly I would be the
friendly next door limey cat murderer. So I must clean it.

No problem. Just go to the nearest Chinese food store, buy a bunch of
chowmein, and put it in the disposal. Then run the disposal for about a
minute with hot water running, and finish it up with a cup of hot tea.
Oolong would be best, I think.

Cat goes well with chowmein.

Duane Bozarth February 21st 05 04:27 PM

wrote:

....a story about the curiousity that killed the cat...

Just dispose of the body and flush the remainder on down the
disposal...flush w/ copious water and then a little bleach for any
residual odor. Not much else to do...

[email protected] February 21st 05 04:37 PM

wrote:

[...]

What a story:-((

There is probably nothing electrical damaged or to fix.
Short of getting someone else to help (perhaps the local animal control
officer) I would place a black garbage bag in a basket, put basket in
sink, turn on water, CLOSE EYES, pull body out of disposal, drop in bag,
close top on bag, OPEN EYES, slosh water around to wash away any blood,
with water on very briefly run disposal.
You should probably tell the lady the truth to make your life easier in
the future.

LB

tom February 21st 05 04:50 PM

On 21 Feb 2005 08:15:41 -0800, wrote:

[...]

imo:

1. Remove Cat
2. Run water, cycle disposal.
3. Dump a bunch of ice into the disposal running. Will help clean the
cat out of the blades.

What tools should I borrow to use for this and how to get it done with
the least amount of trouble and danger? Please respond soon, as she is
due back this evening and I have a great deal of work to do.

God Bless
Al Kyder

hth,

tom @
www.CarFleaMarket.com

zxcvbob February 21st 05 04:55 PM

wrote:
[...]

So, why were you eating dinner in her house? Or, why were the cats in
your house? If the cats were in your house for some reason, how do you
know they ran under her bed?

Gotcha! (it was a good story, though) The disposal switch installed
upside down is kind of unlikely also, but certainly not impossible.

Best regards,
Bob

John Harlow February 21st 05 05:39 PM

Fair troll! You get a C for effort.

Kathy February 21st 05 07:28 PM

wrote in message ...
wrote:

Hello all

I have a next door neighbor with whom I am very friendly, and we are

both trolls......

What a story:-((

Yeh. Where's the pictures?

Hi Matt.

[email protected] February 21st 05 07:39 PM

So, why were you eating dinner in her house? Or, why were the cats

in
your house? If the cats were in your house for some reason, how do

you
know they ran under her bed?

Gotcha! (it was a good story, though) The disposal switch installed

upside down is kind of unlikely also, but certainly not impossible.

Best regards,
Bob

I thought I was clear at the beginning that I was *watching* her house.
When she is out of town, I will generally eat my supper there and
retire. It makes her feel better to know that someone is there, turning
on lights, milling around, etc. to scare off a burglar and such.

In any event, I have removed the little chap from the disposal (thank
you LB for the plastic wrap advice). Judging from what I pulled out,
the poor little ******* must have gone and died straight away, which
makes my heart ache just a bit less. I like cats as a general rule.

I decided to take everyone's advice and combine it into one plan of
action. So I filled a pitcher from the icemaker and poured it inside.
Turned the water on slightly and ground the whole bloody mess up, then
topped off with some bleach and repeated. There is only the slightest
of odours left, and I may very well be imagining that.

Two of the remaining five are still under the bed and will not come
out. The others do not appear to have suffered any ill effects from
their mate's passing.

Thanks to all who responded seriously.

God Bless
Al Kyder

Travis Jordan February 21st 05 07:47 PM

wrote:
Two of the remaining five are still under the bed and will not come
out. The others do not appear to have suffered any ill effects from
their mate's passing.

In general, cats could care less about other cats. If this were a true
story I'd say they are staying under the bed because your are there, and
the person that they own is not.

By the way, I certainly hope you saved some of the DNA of that dead one
so you can have it cloned. Replacing a used, stupid cat with a brand
new, stupid cat would probably get you off the hook.

Norminn February 21st 05 07:51 PM

Travis Jordan wrote:
wrote:

Two of the remaining five are still under the bed and will not come
out. The others do not appear to have suffered any ill effects from
their mate's passing.

In general, cats could care less about other cats. If this were a true
story I'd say they are staying under the bed because your are there, and
the person that they own is not.

By the way, I certainly hope you saved some of the DNA of that dead one
so you can have it cloned. Replacing a used, stupid cat with a brand
new, stupid cat would probably get you off the hook.

I just told the story to my cat - he laughed his ass off, then bit the dog.

[email protected] February 21st 05 08:37 PM

wrote:

[...]

So what are you going to tell the owner?

LB

[email protected] February 21st 05 08:53 PM

wrote:

So what are you going to tell the owner?

I haven't decided yet. I still have 4 hours to get my story straight. I
may leave the body outside in an unobtrusive place and let her think an
wild dog had at it. The cats are always trying to get outside for a
bit, so that end of the story would fly. But even a mad dog would not
just eat the head off a kitten, I don't think. It would likely eat the
whole thing.

I could bury it and tell her it up and died, dress the grave up real
nice with a tiny stone and all, but if she were to dig it up for
whatever reason I would be in a real pinch to explain it.

I just don't want the young lady to think her animals are not safe
around me when she is absent. I somewhat fancy her and do not want to
get crossways with her. I may throw the little bugger away in a remote
area and just let it 'go missing'.

I will let you know how it shakes out. Mum's the word until then. Thank
you again for your sage advice.

God Bless
Al Kyder

John Harlow February 21st 05 09:32 PM

Please let us know which lie you use, oh holy one.

[email protected] February 21st 05 10:21 PM

John Harlow wrote:
Please let us know which lie you use, oh holy one.

Look here, you insufferable git. If you've nothing to contribute then
kindly scamper. You're beginning to wind me up something rotten.

For your information, I have decided to tell the young lady the truth.
If I am to impress myself upon this beautiful girl then the least I can
do is be truthful with her.

What in bloody hell does this have to do with home repair? Bugger off,
pillock.

Al

Jim B February 21st 05 10:37 PM

On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 12:39:40 -0500, "John Harlow" wrote:

Fair troll! You get a C for effort.

I'll give him an "A+"

....and I'm still laughing

[email protected] February 21st 05 10:53 PM

The disposal switch installed
upside down is kind of unlikely
also, but certainly not impossible.

Outside the US there are many countries where the standard for light
switches is "down on, up off".

Tim.

bumtracks February 21st 05 11:56 PM

be nice

I'd pussy foot around telling her the complete truth as she may feel quite
uncomfortable using the sink.... and imagine what her feelings may be
flicking that disposal switch from here until eternity.

wrote in message
oups.com...

Doug Miller February 22nd 05 01:07 AM

In article jvvSd.14534$uc.3386@trnddc09, "bumtracks" wrote:
this guy brags of his troll abilities and the number of responses he can get
in another newsgroup.

So what, pray tell, was your purpose in quoting the entire thing? Idiot.

--
Regards,

bumtracks February 22nd 05 02:04 AM

Aww, that's so cute doug.
I love you too.
Thanks you.

Tom Miller February 22nd 05 03:11 AM

On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 14:28:59 -0500, "Kathy"
wrote:

| wrote in message ...
| wrote:
|
| Hello all
|
| I have a next door neighbor with whom I am very friendly, and we are
| both trolls......
|
| What a story:-((
|

| Yeh. Where's the pictures?

I was wondering how the OP is able to watch the neighbor's house from
under his bridge, even with eyes as big as millstones?

Alan February 22nd 05 04:19 AM

wrote in message ...
wrote:

[...]

Did you hear? They are taking "gullible" out of the dictionary.

Travis Jordan February 22nd 05 01:14 PM

wrote:
Outside the US there are many countries where the standard for light
switches is "down on, up off".

That makes sense if you are below the equator. Everything else there is
upside down, too.

Oscar_Lives February 23rd 05 12:09 AM

Good point. Sometimes the truth isn't the best solution. You may tick her
off so much that you never have a chance to get into her pants.

Just tell her the cat probably ran off.

"bumtracks" wrote in message
be nice

I'd pussy foot around telling her the complete truth as she may feel quite
uncomfortable using the sink.... and imagine what her feelings may be
flicking that disposal switch from here until eternity.

wrote in message
oups.com...

Camilo February 25th 05 05:46 AM

wrote

cat vs. disposal story.

I once had to put a ladder down into an outhouse pit to rescue a couple of
puppies that had fallen in. Good news is that it was a virtually new pit
with only about a weeks worth of use, if you know what I mean.

Matt February 25th 05 09:05 PM

The cat might not be dead. I'd suggest putting another in, and turning
the disposal on to test if this is lethal or not. Actually, you might
need to test the theory 6 or 7 times, just to be sure.