Liz

Default Valve packing question

When repairing a valve's packing with string packing, how much should be
used? (e.g. for a washer shut off valve, enough to go once around the
shaft, 3 times, etc.)

Also are packing washers better than string packing?

Thanks!

I think the correct answer is "just enough to keep it from leaking"...

BobK207

Liz-

The "packing" is filling the space inside the packing nut, around the
valve stem & above the washer that goes against the valve body.

Try to visualize the amountof space & put it that amount of string. I
using use "pre-formed" packing not string. If I do use "string" I use
the teflon type. I using try to put too much in & the nut won't engage
the thread; I cut off a little & try again. That way it's one
continuous piece.

I also "wind" it such that tightening the nut continues to wind it,
not unwind it.

cheers
Bob