Greg G

Default If....

If...

you were planning to do some molding projects around the house

you didn't think you'd use a nailer too often for anything else

you didn't want to spend too much money

....would you consider this:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...D2Y5TUCCVJ7DGE

In my experience there are some inexpensive tools whose principal
disadvantage is that they don't have the "stamina" to stand up to
everyday professional use. They are however quite useful for the
homeowner/handyman. Others are crap from the moment they come out of
the package, frustrating your every attempt to use them.

Any idea which one this is?

I had had at least a little experience with every type of tool I own
before I bought it. But I've never used a nailer, so I could use some
advice.

Greg Guarino
Brian

you were planning to do some molding projects around the house

Nailer accepts 3/8" inch to 1-1/4" brad nails

as long as you are not talking crown molding, well I am not
sure 1" brads are good for even chair rail.

I would use a hammer....

Edwin Pawlowski

"Greg G" wrote in message
If...

you were planning to do some molding projects around the house

you didn't think you'd use a nailer too often for anything else

you didn't want to spend too much money

...would you consider this:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...D2Y5TUCCVJ7DGE

Good price for what it is, but it is not what you need. Brads are good for
very light work, like tacking something in place while the glue sets, but
they have little holding power. For very small molding, say 1/2" it would
be OK. If you are thinking of baseboards, crown molding, you need a 15 or
16 Ga. nailer that will handle 2" nails.

The small compressor is handy to have to inflate a tire, blow dust out of
something, etc. While I don't advocate cheap tools, Harbor Freight nailers
have a pretty good reputation for being a good value for the homeowner.
Never used any myself.

Thanks. I've heard a couple of people say the same about Harbor
Freight, but I'm skeptical. Their fake but very "American" sounding
brand names (Pittsburgh, Chicago, Central Pneumatic, Central Machinery,
etc.) make me suspicious. I've also seen a number of small items from
them that really were unusable, like a set of hole saws whose "arbor"
came apart on the first use.

I'll keep looking.

Greg Guarino

Edwin Pawlowski

wrote in message
oups.com...
Thanks. I've heard a couple of people say the same about Harbor
Freight, but I'm skeptical. Their fake but very "American" sounding
brand names (Pittsburgh, Chicago, Central Pneumatic, Central Machinery,
etc.) make me suspicious. I've also seen a number of small items from
them that really were unusable, like a set of hole saws whose "arbor"
came apart on the first use.

I'll keep looking.

Greg Guarino

If you want a quality setup, look for the Porter Cable kits. More money,
but they have very good tools. Bostitch has a set at Lowes IIRC.

Colbyt

"Greg G" wrote in message
If...

you were planning to do some molding projects around the house

you didn't think you'd use a nailer too often for anything else

you didn't want to spend too much money

...would you consider this:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...D2Y5TUCCVJ7DGE

In my experience there are some inexpensive tools whose principal
disadvantage is that they don't have the "stamina" to stand up to
everyday professional use. They are however quite useful for the
homeowner/handyman. Others are crap from the moment they come out of
the package, frustrating your every attempt to use them.

Any idea which one this is?

I had had at least a little experience with every type of tool I own
before I bought it. But I've never used a nailer, so I could use some
advice.

Greg Guarino

I think the Harbor Freight brad nailer that shoots 1-2" 16G brad nails
would serve you better.

I have one and have used it to install BB, crown and casings.

Depending on what you want to do you might also want one that shoots from
5/8-1 1/4".

Would I buy HF if I needed to depend on the unit every day for all day use?
NO.

Colbyt