John B

Default "drop-in" gas range sought

Can anyone advise me where, in the USA, I might buy a new "drop-in"
30-inch-wide gas range? I can't find one. It would be used as a
replacement for an apartment kitchen. I have found a drop-in electric
range, but building owners don't want to upgrade the electrical resouce at
the kitchen. Gas is already there.

willshak

On 2/15/2005 11:12 AM US(ET), John B took fingers to keys, and typed the
following:

Can anyone advise me where, in the USA, I might buy a new "drop-in"
30-inch-wide gas range? I can't find one. It would be used as a
replacement for an apartment kitchen. I have found a drop-in electric
range, but building owners don't want to upgrade the electrical resouce at
the kitchen. Gas is already there.

Do you mean just the range top, or a range/oven combo?
I have a Sears Kenmore (made by Roper) gas range/oven combo that is 30"
wide. It's about 20 years old.

--
Bill
Vox Humana

"John B" wrote in message
Can anyone advise me where, in the USA, I might buy a new "drop-in"
30-inch-wide gas range? I can't find one. It would be used as a
replacement for an apartment kitchen. I have found a drop-in electric
range, but building owners don't want to upgrade the electrical resouce at
the kitchen. Gas is already there.

I think you want to look for a "slide in" range. Most everyone makes one.
I have a dual fuel Jenn Air, but I know it comes in all gas. Here are some
examples:
http://froogle.google.com/froogle?q=slide+in+gas+range

John B

Range/oven combo.

"willshak" wrote

Do you mean just the range top, or a range/oven combo?

John B

No. I know what a "slide-in" range is, and that is not what I am asking
for. Thank you for your reply, however.

Edwin Pawlowski

"Noon-Air" wrote in message
Sears, Lowes, Home Cheapo

Not that simple if you check. Electric, yes, but gas, no.
The OP may have to change cabinets and go to a slide in or free standing.

George

John B wrote:
No. I know what a "slide-in" range is, and that is not what I am asking
for. Thank you for your reply, however.

Out of curiousity why is a "slide-in" version not suitable?
Duane Bozarth

John B wrote:

No. I know what a "slide-in" range is, and that is not what I am asking
for. Thank you for your reply, however.

Start w/ manufacturers' -- may have to have one ordered rather than find
in stock and probably not at the Borg...but, I don't know specifically
whether there's one specifically like what you have now or not, but
that's where I'd start.
Dimitri

"John B" wrote in message
Can anyone advise me where, in the USA, I might buy a new "drop-in"
30-inch-wide gas range? I can't find one. It would be used as a
replacement for an apartment kitchen. I have found a drop-in electric
range, but building owners don't want to upgrade the electrical resouce at
the kitchen. Gas is already there.

http://caraudiovideosystems.com/acf3325aw.html

Dimitri

AMANA ACF3325AW WHITE GAS RANGE
5.1 CUBIC FEET

Model ACF3325A
Self Clean Gas Range

5.1 cu. ft. Self-Cleaning Oven with Automatic Latch
Upswept Cooktop Design
Industry Exclusive Upfront Simmer Burner
Bar Broiling System
Delay Bake and Delay Self-Clean
Two Oven Racks with Six Positions
Porcelain Broiler Pan and Grid
Auto/Manual Interior Oven Light
Removable Full-Width Storage Drawer
Removable Counterbalanced Glass Oven Door
Knob Range Control with clock/timer
Exclusive High Performance Sealed Gas Burners:
12,000 BTU
9,700 BTU (2)
5,000 BTU
Cast Iron Burner Grates
Extra Extra Large Viewing Window
Dimensions inches
Height 46 1/2''
Width 30''
Depth 28 1/4''

Colors:
White on White ACF3325AW
Black on Black ACF3325AB
Bisque on Bisque ACF3325AC
Stainless Steel ACF3325AS

John

"George" wrote in message
John B wrote:
No. I know what a "slide-in" range is, and that is not what I am asking
for. Thank you for your reply, however.

Out of curiousity why is a "slide-in" version not suitable?

Probably is their cabinet configuration. The slide in and drop in look very
similar on the top, but a slide in sits on the floor and the drop in depends
on the floor of the cabinets for support. If they currently have a drop in
and were to replace it with a slide in they would have to cut out the
cabinet base where the range goes.
John

John B

Edwin's intuition, as is the case so often, is right on target. And I am
opposed to such modifications.

John B

Thank you for your reply. I looked at your recommendation. That's a "free
standing" range.
http://caraudiovideosystems.com/acf3325aw.html
Dimensions inches
Height 46 1/2''
Width 30''
Depth 28 1/4''

John B

Edwin Pawlowski got it right.
A "slide in" sits on the ground, and as such, has a vertical height of
perhaps 36" without respect to any backsplash that might be included in the
model.
As "drop in" has a vertical dimension of about 30", yet when it is
installed, its top is at counter height...about 36". How is this
accomplished? The drop-in rests on the counter, and perhaps on blocks down
near the floor.
A "drop in" oven specifies a shorter horizontal distance between surrounding
cabinet and countertop; i.e., closer gap.
The kitchen has beautiful tile work, cabinetry, and coved floor. This would
have to be massacred to fit a slide-in range. All existing dimensions are
suited for drop-in, not slide-in or free-standing range.
I have recommended a drop-in electric replacement range, but family members
who control the situation are opposed to that. They would rather hack the
kitchen and save money. I am thus trying to find a gas range that will
dispell this threat.
"George" wrote in message
John B wrote:
No. I know what a "slide-in" range is, and that is not what I am asking
for. Thank you for your reply, however.

Out of curiousity why is a "slide-in" version not suitable?

John B

Almost fully correct. As the drop-in electric range, whose detailed
dimensional drawing I have examined, specifies a height of only about 30",
this precludes its resting on the floor.
Thanks for your reply.

Vox Humana

"John B" wrote in message
[...]

Have you looked into having the existing range refurbished?

John B

Good point. That was my first position. However, I am relying on others
who claim that the repair parts are unavailable. But thank you for
reminding me of this concept.
The thermostat is shot. I put a thermometer in the oven and watched it go
well beyond the temperature prescribed at the user interface. The oven
burner doesn't always light promptly, giving fear of explosion. The top
needs a paint job.

"Vox Humana" wrote in message

"John B" wrote in message
[...]

aem

John B wrote:
Edwin Pawlowski got it right.
A "slide in" sits on the ground, and as such, has a vertical height

of
perhaps 36" without respect to any backsplash that might be included

in the
model.
As "drop in" has a vertical dimension of about 30", yet when it is
installed, its top is at counter height...about 36". How is this
accomplished? The drop-in rests on the counter, and perhaps on

blocks down
near the floor.
A "drop in" oven specifies a shorter horizontal distance between

surrounding
cabinet and countertop; i.e., closer gap.

In a different thread there's a company called Bluestar, which calls
its products "cooktops." Check out their website--several sizes and
options. Our ideal kitchen would have a big gas stove and a separate
electric oven set in the wall at about waist level.

-aem

John B

Thanks for the suggestion, but I don't see anything appropriate there. They
all appear to be "free-standing," and expensive...as in commercial kitchen,
or rich man's personal kitchen. This is for a modest apartment.
There is no existing electric service in the kitchen, sufficient for
oven-type equipment. Clocks, toaster, etc. OK.
"aem" wrote

Our ideal kitchen would have a big gas stove and a separate
electric oven set in the wall at about waist level.

No, there is no room for this.

aem

John B wrote:
Thanks for the suggestion, but I don't see anything appropriate

there. They
all appear to be "free-standing," and expensive...as in commercial

kitchen,
or rich man's personal kitchen.

Not sure where you looked, but those shown here are clearly drop-ins,
not free standing: http://www.prizer-painter.com/pages/cooktop.html

I think they are expensive, though.

-aem

Noon-Air

"John B" wrote in message
Thanks for the suggestion, but I don't see anything appropriate there.
They
all appear to be "free-standing," and expensive...as in commercial
kitchen,
or rich man's personal kitchen. This is for a modest apartment.
There is no existing electric service in the kitchen, sufficient for
oven-type equipment. Clocks, toaster, etc. OK.
"aem" wrote

Our ideal kitchen would have a big gas stove and a separate
electric oven set in the wall at about waist level.

No, there is no room for this.

The difference between the drop-in and the free standing ranges is nothing
more than a sawzall

John B

I think you are referring to the cook tops. I need an entire range/oven
combo as drop-in unit.
If you know of that, can you please provide a more specific link?
I think the cost is significant, but of secondary importance.
Thanks!

"aem" wrote in message
oups.com...

John B wrote:
Thanks for the suggestion, but I don't see anything appropriate

there. They
all appear to be "free-standing," and expensive...as in commercial

kitchen,
or rich man's personal kitchen.

Not sure where you looked, but those shown here are clearly drop-ins,
not free standing: http://www.prizer-painter.com/pages/cooktop.html

I think they are expensive, though.

-aem

John B

Or, perhaps, a wrench and screwdriver. Good point. I'll keep it in mind.
Thanks!

"Noon-Air" wrote
The difference between the drop-in and the free standing ranges is nothing
more than a sawzall

john

John B
some gas slide in style ovens have a draw in the bottom under
the oven door i wonder if you remove the door the oven would
"drop in" and a small amount of cabinet trim could match up the
bottom gap?

note the drawer at the bottom looks like you could remove it
and have the stove recessed about 2 inches at the bottom.
i believe the reason they do not sell drop in gas ranges is
WARNING WARNING Will Robinson (robot voice off)
doesn't natural gas tend to gather in low lying areas... wouldn't
a drop in cabinet be a low lying area....?? this older design
might no longer be available because of the potential for faulty
valves & fittings leaking into a confined space...

the drop in style most likely has a pedestal that some of the weight is
distributed on. if you can lift the stove out of the spot slightly to take
a look you might get a better feel for what you need to do to get it to
work. measure the counter height to make sure the final height can be
achieved with standard products...

also if this is an apartment, sometime land lords will deduct the
improvements
from the rent. talk to them about this...i would think you could neatly cut
the bottom part of the cabinet down to accommodate a modern appliance.
john

"John B" wrote in message
Can anyone advise me where, in the USA, I might buy a new "drop-in"
30-inch-wide gas range? I can't find one. It would be used as a
replacement for an apartment kitchen. I have found a drop-in electric
range, but building owners don't want to upgrade the electrical resouce at
the kitchen. Gas is already there.

Edwin Pawlowski

"John B" wrote in message
Good point. That was my first position. However, I am relying on others
who claim that the repair parts are unavailable. But thank you for
reminding me of this concept.
The thermostat is shot. I put a thermometer in the oven and watched it go
well beyond the temperature prescribed at the user interface. The oven
burner doesn't always light promptly, giving fear of explosion. The top
needs a paint job.

Check out this place.
http://www.antiquegasstoves.com/pages/rebuild.html I have no idea of price,
but if anyone can, these guys teem to be able to do it.

willshak

On 2/15/2005 12:32 PM US(ET), John B took fingers to keys, and typed the
following:

Range/oven combo.

"willshak" wrote

Do you mean just the range top, or a range/oven combo?

OK, that's what mine is. It is a drop-in with a flange on the sides of
the top that lays on the countertop and is covered by the lift up range
top. I had to build a base for it since it doesn't have a leg to stand
on. Try Sears.

--
Bill
willshak

On 2/15/2005 4:18 PM US(ET), willshak took fingers to keys, and typed
the following:

On 2/15/2005 12:32 PM US(ET), John B took fingers to keys, and typed
the following:

Range/oven combo.

"willshak" wrote

Do you mean just the range top, or a range/oven combo?

OK, that's what mine is. It is a drop-in with a flange on the sides of
the top that lays on the countertop and is covered by the lift up
range top. I had to build a base for it since it doesn't have a leg to
stand on. Try Sears.

Here are 30" drop-ins at Sears
http://tinyurl.com/5fhox

--
Bill
Edwin Pawlowski

"willshak" wrote in message
Here are 30" drop-ins at Sears
http://tinyurl.com/5fhox

--
Bill

He needs gas, no hookup for electric.

John B

Every one of those drop in ranges is electric. I looked at all three pages,
carefully. I need a gas range.
Thanks.

"willshak" wrote

Here are 30" drop-ins at Sears
http://tinyurl.com/5fhox

willshak

On 2/15/2005 4:29 PM US(ET), Edwin Pawlowski took fingers to keys, and
typed the following:

"willshak" wrote in message

Here are 30" drop-ins at Sears
http://tinyurl.com/5fhox

--
Bill

He needs gas, no hookup for electric.

Sorry about that. I see Sears doesn't sell gas range/ovens anymore.

--
Bill
Noon-Air

"John B" wrote in message
Or, perhaps, a wrench and screwdriver. Good point. I'll keep it in mind.
Thanks!

"Noon-Air" wrote
The difference between the drop-in and the free standing ranges is
nothing
more than a sawzall

Ummm....the sawzall was for the kickplate on the cabinet

John B

Naw. That's what I'm trying to avoid. The kickplate is beautiful, coved
linoleum.
Thanks for the follow-up.
What do you think of modifying a slide-in to a drop-in? It IS a
subtraction.
"Noon-Air" wrote in message
news

"John B" wrote in message
Or, perhaps, a wrench and screwdriver. Good point. I'll keep it in

mind.
Thanks!

"Noon-Air" wrote
The difference between the drop-in and the free standing ranges is
nothing
more than a sawzall

Ummm....the sawzall was for the kickplate on the cabinet

Hairy

"John B" wrote in message
[...]

We have the Maytag MGS5770 as seen in Vox's link. It rests on top of the
counter and has feet at the bottom. Main drawback for you ( I believe) would
be the bottom drawer if you want to keep your kickboard.

ameijers

"George" wrote in message
John B wrote:
No. I know what a "slide-in" range is, and that is not what I am asking
for. Thank you for your reply, however.

Out of curiousity why is a "slide-in" version not suitable?

Sounds like a 1960s kitchen. A counter-height-opening wall oven in a tall
cabinet, with a drop-in cooktop in the counter right next to it, were quite
common. Pretty good odds the thing is that lovely 2-tone brown 'coppertone'
color. Around the time the appliances crap out, the Missus usually decides
entire kitchen needs a gut job, and another set of solid maple cherry-finish
cabinets hits the landfill, replaced by chipboard junk. Plug-n-run
replacement appliances in those formats are probably getting quite hard to
find.

aem sends...

Bob Haar

On 2005/2/15 11:12 AM, "John B" wrote:

Can anyone advise me where, in the USA, I might buy a new "drop-in"
30-inch-wide gas range? I can't find one. It would be used as a
replacement for an apartment kitchen. I have found a drop-in electric
range, but building owners don't want to upgrade the electrical resouce at
the kitchen. Gas is already there.

We have a GE "gas on glass" unit. It is the 5 burner 36" model but they
make a 30" unit as well.

John B

Nope.
http://www.dealtime.com/xPF-Maytag_M...ADQ_MGS5770ADC
This sits on the ground. Not a candidate.
Specs are poorly described. No description of ampacity requirement, even
though there is a need for electricity. No idea how much. Says it's
self-cleaning.
What is "sabbath mode," anyway?

"Hairy" wrote in message

"John B" wrote in message
[...]

John B

Yeah. 1965. I was there.
The replacement would be easy if the relatives who own the place would "see
the light" and pop for the electrical upgrade necessary to install an
electric oven. Drop-in range is easily found in electric.
Nice guess on the colors, but this place was done in white...commensurate
with an apartment decor. The house I grew up in was abundant with
coppertone, though....electric cooktop (Mom still uses it), blower top(yep,
still there), refrig, electric oven, and dishwasher gone decades ago. Oh,
yeah, the pulls on the ash cabinets are still there, in coppertone. The
legs on our formica kitchen table were coppertone...long gone. Mom still
uses copper-bottom pots, too. Mom loved coppertone, and she helped design
the house my Dad built in the 1950s.
Dad, bless him, is my chief opponent in this oven selection. Nothing like a
good old family brouhaha. Keeps the blood moving.

"ameijers" wrote
Plug-n-run
replacement appliances in those formats are probably getting quite hard to
find.

aem sends...

John B

Tell me more.
Is it GAS?
Can you suggest a model number?
Thanks.

"Bob Haar" wrote

We have a GE "gas on glass" unit. It is the 5 burner 36" model but they
make a 30" unit as well.

Bob Haar

On 2005/2/15 7:57 PM, "John B" wrote:

Tell me more.
Is it GAS?
Can you suggest a model number?

After seeing some later posts, I realize that what we have is not what you
are looking for. It is gas but is only the top burners, not the cooktop/oven
combo.