Dave

Default tablesaw

What is the best way to preserve the tablesaw surface, drillpress table
and bandsaw table. I heard someone say that a good quality car wax will
do it. I have also heard someone mention a Teflon spray. I am having a
slight problem with rust on my tools and am wondering what other guys use?
Richard J Kinch

Dave writes:

What is the best way to preserve the tablesaw surface, drillpress table
and bandsaw table.

Spray lithium grease in a can. Home Depot. Gotta wipe it off when you do
some work, tho.
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

Dave wrote:
What is the best way to preserve the tablesaw surface, drillpress table
and bandsaw table. I heard someone say that a good quality car wax will
do it. I have also heard someone mention a Teflon spray. I am having a
slight problem with rust on my tools and am wondering what other guys use?

The classic stuff is Johnson's Paste Wax. Or you could get some Boeshield.
What I absolutely wouldn't use is any type of car wax with silicon in it; it
causes problems later when you're trying to get a nice finish on your work.

Anyway, I've used both Johnson's and Boeshield. Given the choice, I'd go with
the Johnson's, just because a can will last forever. I'm still using a can that
was bought back in the 1960s. Boeshield comes in a spray can.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

VE

Edwin Pawlowski

"Dave" wrote in message
What is the best way to preserve the tablesaw surface, drillpress table
and bandsaw table. I heard someone say that a good quality car wax will do
it. I have also heard someone mention a Teflon spray. I am having a slight
problem with rust on my tools and am wondering what other guys use?

The best product to remove rust is called Top Saver. Incredible how it
works so well.

The best to preserve it is Top Cote or Boeshield. Spray it on every few
weeks in cold and damp weather, depending on use. These are well proven
products used by many woodworkers. Paste wax (Johnson's or Butchers) is OK,
but not as good as the above. Never use a product containing silicones
(many car waxes do) as it can get on the wood and make finishing a problem.
..

You can find this stuff at: www.leevalley.com or www.woodcraft.com
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

Phisherman

Johnson's Paste Wax, in the yellow can. I use it once or twice a
month. A can lasts 5 years.

On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 01:28:57 -0500, Dave
wrote:

What is the best way to preserve the tablesaw surface, drillpress table
and bandsaw table. I heard someone say that a good quality car wax will
do it. I have also heard someone mention a Teflon spray. I am having a
slight problem with rust on my tools and am wondering what other guys use?

Steve Manes

wrote:

What is the best way to preserve the tablesaw surface, drillpress table
and bandsaw table. I heard someone say that a good quality car wax will
do it. I have also heard someone mention a Teflon spray. I am having a
slight problem with rust on my tools and am wondering what other guys use?

Don't use anything that leaves a residue, like silicon (like a lot of
car waxes). It can contaminate the wood and make finishing
problematic. Some waxes won't even sand off, just melt deeper into
the grain.

Steve Manes, Brooklyn, USA
www.magpie.com
Lorence M

Dave wrote:
What is the best way to preserve the tablesaw surface, drillpress table
and bandsaw table. I heard someone say that a good quality car wax will
do it. I have also heard someone mention a Teflon spray. I am having a
slight problem with rust on my tools and am wondering what other guys use?

Use them regularly. Works with most tools.