To know for sure I would take a peek in the light fixture box. What you will
probably find is that it has power to the box with black & red(the cable to
your switch box) used merely as a switch leg. This being the case you could
cap each end of the white with a nut
Todd

Jason

Default What to do with this white wire?

I am working on prep for installing a microwave above our range. The
range hood which will be removed has power but no ground. I traced the
power source through the basement back up to a light switch in the
kitchen. The way things are wired there have me confused. The previous
owner had obviously done a lot of wiring on his own.

Power comes down from the ceiling to the switch with blk/red/wht.
Blk/red going to the switch for the one light.

Up from the basement is blk/wht which fed the hood and an outlet near
the sink. Wht/wht tied via wire nut. Blk/blk spliced goofy but functional.

I yanked out the blk/wht for the hood and outlet and will run a
dedicated circuit through the basement for the microwave and gfci for
the sink outlet.

This leaves me with the blk/red/wht in the box for the light. I
reconnected the blk/red for the switch but what do I do with the white
wire? Cap it with a wire nut? Not sure what it's there for.

Thanks for your input.
Bubba

On Fri, 04 Feb 2005 23:34:57 -0800, Jason
wrote:

[...]

It doesnt really matter where it goes.
The microwave should be on its own separate circuit. It shouldnt be
going through light boxes or junctions. It should go straight to the
main panel on its own separate breaker. Otherwise you will be blowing
fuses/breakers.
Bubba

Repairing Lightning Damaged Tv's CJ Electronics Repair 20 June 22nd 04 06:03 AM
automotive wire size calculator CampinGazz Electronics 1 January 5th 04 07:02 PM
240 volt wiring Charles Home Repair 11 December 30th 03 11:13 PM
adding dimmer switch to old wiring Felix Home Repair 14 November 30th 03 08:22 AM
replacing old non-grounded (2 prong) electric receptacles David Jensen Home Repair 27 August 26th 03 12:14 AM