Mr. Whatever

Default How Long Do Water Softeners Last?

The reason I ask is that I have one that was probably made in the 70's
and the control mechanism is jacked up. My dad used to fiddle with it to
get it to work. It was made by Laurel and I doubt I could even find
parts to fix it. I know the new ones have digital controls. I have it
bypassed now and dont really miss the soft water that much. Just
wondering if i should remove it and trash it or try to find a kit to fix
controller. tia
Edwin Pawlowski

"Mr. Whatever" wrote in message
. ..
The reason I ask is that I have one that was probably made in the 70's and
the control mechanism is jacked up. My dad used to fiddle with it to get
it to work. It was made by Laurel and I doubt I could even find parts to
fix it. I know the new ones have digital controls. I have it bypassed now
and dont really miss the soft water that much. Just wondering if i should
remove it and trash it or try to find a kit to fix controller. tia

At 25 to 30 years, it is time for a new one. If you fix the controls the
resin may be giving up and will need replacing, other parts may be
corroding, etc. If you want to experiment, take the control apart. There
may be some simple seals or "O" rings that need replacing to get it going
again.

Mr. Whatever

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
"Mr. Whatever" wrote in message
. ..

The reason I ask is that I have one that was probably made in the 70's and
the control mechanism is jacked up. My dad used to fiddle with it to get
it to work. It was made by Laurel and I doubt I could even find parts to
fix it. I know the new ones have digital controls. I have it bypassed now
and dont really miss the soft water that much. Just wondering if i should
remove it and trash it or try to find a kit to fix controller. tia

At 25 to 30 years, it is time for a new one. If you fix the controls the
resin may be giving up and will need replacing, other parts may be
corroding, etc. If you want to experiment, take the control apart. There
may be some simple seals or "O" rings that need replacing to get it going
again.

I'll probably just trash it. The O-Rings were replaced not long before
it whacked out. I think the timer is bad and I suspect you are probably
correct in your assessment of the rest of the pieces/parts. Thanks for
responding.
Posted to alt.home.repair
El Simbolo

Anyone know how long a $400-$500 Kenmore one bought in 2001/2002
should last?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Gammon

El Simbolo wrote:
Anyone know how long a $400-$500 Kenmore one bought in 2001/2002
should last?

I have another brand that has been in use for over 10 years. Replaced
control head once due to a lightning strike on the house, that strike
also induced a pressure surge that ruptured the strainer that keeps the
resin out of the house plumbing (moral of this story - you need a WHOLE
house, Pre and Post 10 micron filter surroundign EVERY water softener -
pre change every 6 months, post every 12 months)