DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Strong sulfur smell from furnace (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/89655-strong-sulfur-smell-furnace.html)

Julie P. February 4th 05 12:48 AM

Strong sulfur smell from furnace

Hi guys. I live in a large three-story Victorian house, on the first floor.
The upstairs tenant just had a delivery of oil to his furnace, after leaving
the oil tank empty for over a year (the first floor, where I am, is on a
separate furnace). Now it is running, and besides hearing it run all the
time, I smell a strong smell of sulfur in my first floor office, at least. I
believe my office is directly above the basement area where the furnace is.

Is this normal, and what can be done about this?

Thanks!

Julie P. February 4th 05 12:52 AM

"Julie P." wrote in message
Hi guys. I live in a large three-story Victorian house, on the first
floor. The upstairs tenant just had a delivery of oil to his furnace,
after leaving the oil tank empty for over a year (the first floor, where I
am, is on a separate furnace). Now it is running, and besides hearing it
run all the time, I smell a strong smell of sulfur in my first floor
office, at least. I believe my office is directly above the basement area
where the furnace is.

Is this normal, and what can be done about this?

UPDATE: the basement is full of smoke, and I had to breathe through my mouth
to go down there. My eyes were watering. Smoke is coming form the furnace. I
just shut off the furnace.

Dr. Hardcrab February 4th 05 02:09 AM

"Julie P." wrote in message

"Julie P." wrote in message
Hi guys. I live in a large three-story Victorian house, on the first
floor. The upstairs tenant just had a delivery of oil to his furnace,
after leaving the oil tank empty for over a year (the first floor, where
I am, is on a separate furnace). Now it is running, and besides hearing
it run all the time, I smell a strong smell of sulfur in my first floor
office, at least. I believe my office is directly above the basement area
where the furnace is.

Is this normal, and what can be done about this?

UPDATE: the basement is full of smoke, and I had to breathe through my
mouth to go down there. My eyes were watering. Smoke is coming form the
furnace. I just shut off the furnace.

9 times out of 10, when you get a delivery, it stirs up sludge and trash in
the tank and it clogs up the filters, strainers, and nozzles. Sounds like
you need to call someone to come out and change them out and do a basic
tune-up. I wouldn't turn it back on, either. It won't get any better.....

U will be assimilated February 4th 05 02:17 AM

Sulphur or Hydrogen Sulfide? HS can/will kill you

Bubba February 4th 05 02:19 AM

On Thu, 3 Feb 2005 19:48:16 -0500, "Julie P."
wrote:

Hi guys. I live in a large three-story Victorian house, on the first floor.
The upstairs tenant just had a delivery of oil to his furnace, after leaving
the oil tank empty for over a year (the first floor, where I am, is on a
separate furnace). Now it is running, and besides hearing it run all the
time, I smell a strong smell of sulfur in my first floor office, at least. I
believe my office is directly above the basement area where the furnace is.

Is this normal, and what can be done about this?

Thanks!

Did you ever think that maybe it needs to be serviced?
Bubba

Bubba February 4th 05 02:23 AM

On Thu, 3 Feb 2005 19:52:48 -0500, "Julie P."
wrote:

"Julie P." wrote in message
Hi guys. I live in a large three-story Victorian house, on the first
floor. The upstairs tenant just had a delivery of oil to his furnace,
after leaving the oil tank empty for over a year (the first floor, where I
am, is on a separate furnace). Now it is running, and besides hearing it
run all the time, I smell a strong smell of sulfur in my first floor
office, at least. I believe my office is directly above the basement area
where the furnace is.

Is this normal, and what can be done about this?

UPDATE: the basement is full of smoke, and I had to breathe through my mouth
to go down there. My eyes were watering. Smoke is coming form the furnace. I
just shut off the furnace.

Turn it back on and add more oil. They are supposed to smoke. Dont
have someone come out and look at it. That would be a waste of money.
See if your brothers sisters uncles half step sons retarted step child
can come take a look at it for you. Im sure he will fix er up real
good and you'll have saved a bunch of money and killed yourself and
the rest of your family in the process while you sleep. Then all will
be well again.
Bubba

Julie P. February 4th 05 07:01 AM

wrote:

"Julie P." wrote in message
[...]

Hey asshole: here's some advice: learn to read. See ya later...

Julie P. February 4th 05 07:02 AM

"Dr. Hardcrab" wrote in message

"Julie P." wrote in message

"Julie P." wrote in message
[...]

Thanks! I just spoke to the landlord, and they are going to fix it Sunday
after they buy a new nozzle.

J.

Julie P. February 4th 05 07:04 AM

"U will be assimilated" wrote in message
ups.com...
Sulphur or Hydrogen Sulfide? HS can/will kill you

I don't know; it smelled like rotten eggs, but the smell is gone ever since
I turned off the furnace and aired everything out. Thanks for the warning!

Steve@carolinabreezehvac February 4th 05 07:39 AM

"Julie P." wrote in message

"Julie P." wrote in message
[...]

I love cheap assed landlords...

A nozzle, by itself, WONT fix the problem. While the unit may fire for a
while, they need to have it tuned, and as a hint to your landlords, you can
inform them that every time the units got a nozzle change, the fire of the
unit will change, and the unit MUST be correctly tuned....or it can waste
oil, clog the chamber, or worse, burn through the chamber, and thats when
the real fun starts.

Changing the nozzle alone, is like trying to hold a 10 inch rip in your leg
shut with a bandaide.

J.

Stormin Mormon February 4th 05 10:48 AM

No. Call a heating repairman.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Stormin Mormon February 4th 05 10:48 AM

Sounds like it's time to call a heating and AC guy.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Stormin Mormon February 4th 05 10:48 AM

Is that French for Band-Aid?

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Steve@carolinabreezehvac" wrote
in

Bubba February 4th 05 12:50 PM

On Fri, 4 Feb 2005 02:01:34 -0500, "Julie P."
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

"Julie P." wrote in message
[...]

Hey ****. Learn to die. It sounds like you are getting very close.
A nozzle.................on Sunday? hehe
Is that when Fred the fixit hack gets done painting and comes to slap
in a nozzle?
You and your landlord must have an IQ of 10 combined.
Oh yeah, guess what? Its nice and warm in my home.
Bubba

Burnt Eddy February 4th 05 03:06 PM

Gee, if your the spokesman for the HVAC industry, I will put total
confidence in what you say. You sound like a smart responsible guy.... why
dont you take it to ALT.HVAC, this is a homeowner group...

"Bubba" wrote in message
On Fri, 4 Feb 2005 02:01:34 -0500, "Julie P."
wrote:

.. .

Matt February 4th 05 03:07 PM

Do you live in Louisiana?

It sounds like Turtle serviced your furnace, and one of his farts has
come back for revenge.

Bria February 4th 05 03:28 PM

There is a group for assholes like you: alt.hvac.

You will fill right in. Oh, wait....

B-Hate-Me February 4th 05 05:03 PM

"Julie P." wrote in message
UPDATE: the basement is full of smoke, and I had to breathe through my
mouth to go down there. My eyes were watering. Smoke is coming form the
furnace. I just shut off the furnace.

Run!!

Julie P. February 5th 05 12:27 AM

"Bubba" wrote in message
On Fri, 4 Feb 2005 02:01:34 -0500, "Julie P."
wrote:

. ..
wrote:

"Julie P." wrote in message
[...]

What a shame. You make yourself look like more and more of a fool everytime
you post.

It's warm in my house.

Maybe if you could read, you would have realized it is not my house. I am
not the landlord. It's not even the furnace for *my* apartment. The furnace
heats the second floor tenant's apartment, not mine. My furnace runs fine.

Julie P. February 5th 05 12:30 AM

"Steve@carolinabreezehvac" wrote
in message ...

"Julie P." wrote in message

"Julie P." wrote in message
[...]

Thanks Steve! I am going to give all of this info to my landlord, so
hopefully she and her handyman can fix it correctly. She refuses to hire a
contractor or professional oil/furnace tech, since she doesn't trust
professional contractors and has to pay them.

Julie P. February 5th 05 12:31 AM

"Matt" wrote in message
oups.com...
Do you live in Louisiana?

It sounds like Turtle serviced your furnace, and one of his farts has
come back for revenge.

:) Actually, Pennsylvania.

Steve@carolinabreezehvac February 5th 05 12:33 AM

"Julie P." wrote in message

"Julie P." wrote in message
[...]

Word of warning....handymen dont have the $1500 tool used to set the flame
on oil units.
In some states, what she is doing is illegal. In my area, it would be.
Her refusal to do it correctly, could, and thats just COULD, not will, or
would, or such...create a condition that may be harmful to the condition of
the home, or occupants.
Tell her to do it right or dont bother, at least you will be breathing,
cold, but breathing.

Julie P. February 5th 05 12:34 AM

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
No. Call a heating repairman.

hi, thanks for all of your posts. I have already told my landlord. They are
going to try to fix it Sunday, after they go to the parts store to get some
supplies like a nozzle and filter. In the meantime, we have the furnace for
the second floor off. My furnace for the first floor works fine, so this
should be enough to heat the second floor apartment as well for the time
being.

U will be assimilated February 5th 05 12:49 AM

Penn. That's good....Just anywhere but Illinois as that's where Dave
the noted fundy hvac hack works outta (unlicensed...it is rumored)

Steve@carolinabreezehvac February 5th 05 01:08 AM

"U will be assimilated" wrote in message
oups.com...
Penn. That's good....Just anywhere but Illinois as that's where Dave
the noted fundy hvac hack works outta (unlicensed...it is rumored)

Fact.
Call the state, ask for his licence, and they go.."what was that name again?
"
Better yet, do as I did...call him, and tell him you have a job you need
done at a rental home you own there, and ask him to give you his licence
number and insurance info...you wont get it...and by law, when asked
directly they have to either give it to you, or tell you where it is
located.

ameijers February 5th 05 02:54 AM

"Steve@carolinabreezehvac" wrote
in message ...

"Julie P." wrote in message

Snip)
Thanks Steve! I am going to give all of this info to my landlord, so
hopefully she and her handyman can fix it correctly. She refuses to hire

contractor or professional oil/furnace tech, since she doesn't trust
professional contractors and has to pay them.

Word of warning....handymen dont have the $1500 tool used to set the flame
on oil units.
In some states, what she is doing is illegal. In my area, it would be.
Her refusal to do it correctly, could, and thats just COULD, not will, or
would, or such...create a condition that may be harmful to the condition

of
the home, or occupants.
Tell her to do it right or dont bother, at least you will be breathing,
cold, but breathing.

What he said, but in spades. This is your life we are talking about, as
well as your upstairs neighbor. A f**ked up furnace can KILL you, either by
starting a fire, or, more likely, kill you in your sleep with carbon
monoxide. Is there rental inspection in your town? I realize well the perils
of ****ing off the landlord, but tell her you want the work done by a
licensed contractor, or you will get the inspectors in to red-tag the
furnace. Personally, I'd move.

aem sends...

Barry February 5th 05 03:39 AM

On Fri, 4 Feb 2005 19:31:59 -0500, "Julie P."
wrote:

"Matt" wrote in message
roups.com...
Do you live in Louisiana?

It sounds like Turtle serviced your furnace, and one of his farts has
come back for revenge.

:) Actually, Pennsylvania.

Julie where in PA are you? Maybe I can recommend a licence
competent service company for you?

Barry

Julie P. February 5th 05 06:25 AM

"Steve@carolinabreezehvac" wrote
in message ...

"Julie P." wrote in message

"Steve@carolinabreezehvac"
wrote
in message ...

"Julie P." wrote in message

"Julie P." wrote in message
[...]

Thanks Steve.

Here is an update: the second floor tenant came home (he comes here only
twice a week or so), and he thinks what caused the smoke might just be
because he left the furnace door open, thereby causing the smoke to pour out
into the basement. And I think that's where I saw the smoke coming from when
I went down there the other night. He said he already replaced the nozzle,
and he is testing the furnace right now. He is a mason by trade, but also
sells scrap iron. But he and his friends do all sorts of things like auto
work, plumbing, furnace, electrical, etc. I think he might even get free
heating oil.

Julie P. February 5th 05 06:27 AM

"ameijers" wrote in message

"Steve@carolinabreezehvac" wrote
in message ...

"Julie P." wrote in message

Snip)
[...]

Thanks. I will talk to her about this. She always makes excuses though. She
doesn't trust furnace people, since she said her friend had been having her
furnace serviced annually, but the oil men were not doing it the right way
and not replacing enough parts, and now this friend has to have the furnace
fixed all over again.

Julie P. February 5th 05 06:29 AM

"Barry" wrote in message
On Fri, 4 Feb 2005 19:31:59 -0500, "Julie P."
wrote:

"Matt" wrote in message
groups.com...
Do you live in Louisiana?

It sounds like Turtle serviced your furnace, and one of his farts has
come back for revenge.

:) Actually, Pennsylvania.

Julie where in PA are you? Maybe I can recommend a licence
competent service company for you?

Barry

Thanks Barry. It's not my choice, since I am not the landlord, but I am in
the Collegeville/Phoenixville/Skippack area, about an hour northwest of
Philadelphia.

Dr. Hardcrab February 5th 05 10:29 AM

wrote:

"Matt" wrote in message
egroups.com...
Do you live in Louisiana?

It sounds like Turtle serviced your furnace, and one of his farts has
come back for revenge.

:) Actually, Pennsylvania.

Julie where in PA are you? Maybe I can recommend a licence
competent service company for you?

Barry

Thanks Barry. It's not my choice, since I am not the landlord, but I am in
the Collegeville/Phoenixville/Skippack area, about an hour northwest of
Philadelphia.

PHILADELPHIA??!!!!

Hell! I hope you FREEZE!!!!

Now if you were in New England..........

;-]

Barry February 5th 05 11:47 AM

On Sat, 5 Feb 2005 01:29:42 -0500, "Julie P."
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

"Matt" wrote in message
egroups.com...
Do you live in Louisiana?

It sounds like Turtle serviced your furnace, and one of his farts has
come back for revenge.

:) Actually, Pennsylvania.

Julie where in PA are you? Maybe I can recommend a licence
competent service company for you?

Barry

Thanks Barry. It's not my choice, since I am not the landlord, but I am in
the Collegeville/Phoenixville/Skippack area, about an hour northwest of
Philadelphia.

Tekkie this is your neck of the woods maybe you can help
Julie out. Julie, I am about one and half hours north of you. If
your landlord does not fix this problem to your satisfaction I would
call in a pro and deduct the cost from the rent. This is a serious
situation. If, your like most people you don't want to make waves.
But, your life may be on the line.

Barry

Bubba February 5th 05 12:35 PM

On Sat, 5 Feb 2005 01:25:20 -0500, "Julie P."
wrote:

"Steve@carolinabreezehvac" wrote
in message ...

"Julie P." wrote in message

"Steve@carolinabreezehvac"
wrote
in message ...

"Julie P." wrote in message

"Julie P." wrote in message
[...]

This is just getting too funny. Please make sure you let us know where
you live so we can read about you and the tennant upstairs dying from
using the rigged oil furnace that the mason fixed while burning some
free used motor oil with gasoline and everything else in the world
mixed in with it. Lady, between you, the landlord and this mason hack,
you all sound like the cheapest bunch of gypsies on the planet.
"Free Oil" ! That is a riot.
Bubba

Bubba February 5th 05 12:52 PM

On Fri, 4 Feb 2005 19:34:50 -0500, "Julie P."
wrote:

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
. ..
No. Call a heating repairman.

hi, thanks for all of your posts. I have already told my landlord. They are
going to try to fix it Sunday, after they go to the parts store to get some
supplies like a nozzle and filter. In the meantime, we have the furnace for
the second floor off. My furnace for the first floor works fine, so this
should be enough to heat the second floor apartment as well for the time
being.

You are NOT understanding or not caring.
A nozzle and filter will NOT fix the problem. It needs to be cleaned
and then the burner needs to be set up properly. This takes expensive
equipment that any good oil serviceman has on his truck. It takes
combustion efficiency equipment (preferably digital), a stack
thermometer, an oil pressure gauge, a smoke pump and a draft gauge.
Anything less is pure bull and that "mason" firend will not have it
nor know how to operate it if he did have it.
Do it right!
Bubba

Geoman February 5th 05 02:36 PM

"Julie P." wrote in message
"ameijers" wrote in message

"Steve@carolinabreezehvac"
wrote
in message ...

"Julie P." wrote in message

Snip)
[...]

Your first mistake was to turn off the furnace. You NEVER go into a place
full of smoke, you get out of the house and call 911. How did you determine
that the smoke wasn't going to ignite? Yes, they have found that some smokes
are flamable.

Also, the 'next' time you may die. I'm not exagerating here, the others in
HVAC know what they are talking about!

Some states allow you to pay your rent to the court when there are issues
such as yours and the court holds the money until repairs are VERIFIED. The
landlord cannot evict you over this and if they do in the future their
better be a reasonable reason for eviction to the courts. They know some
landlords are vengful and they look down at landlords because of it. BTW,
your landlord trusts contractors, she's just cheap.

Rich

Julie P. February 6th 05 08:34 AM

"Barry" wrote in message

Tekkie this is your neck of the woods maybe you can help
Julie out. Julie, I am about one and half hours north of you. If
your landlord does not fix this problem to your satisfaction I would
call in a pro and deduct the cost from the rent. This is a serious
situation. If, your like most people you don't want to make waves.
But, your life may be on the line.

Barry

Thanks Barry! So far, it's been 24 hours, and the problem seems to be fixed.
No more smoke coming into the basement. But I realize the furnace needs to
be professionally serviced, so I'll have to brow-beat my landlord over this.
:)

Julie P. February 6th 05 08:34 AM

wrote:

[...]

Thanks for this detailed advice. I will print this out and try to convince
my landlord of this.

Julie P. February 6th 05 08:37 AM

"Julie P." wrote in message
"Barry" wrote in message
On Fri, 4 Feb 2005 19:31:59 -0500, "Julie P."
wrote:

"Matt" wrote in message
legroups.com...
Do you live in Louisiana?

It sounds like Turtle serviced your furnace, and one of his farts has
come back for revenge.

:) Actually, Pennsylvania.

Julie where in PA are you? Maybe I can recommend a licence
competent service company for you?

Barry

Thanks Barry. It's not my choice, since I am not the landlord, but I am
in the Collegeville/Phoenixville/Skippack area, about an hour northwest
of Philadelphia.

PHILADELPHIA??!!!!

Hell! I hope you FREEZE!!!!

Now if you were in New England..........

;-]

LOL! Fortunately for me, I am not a native of this area, so I don't have any
love for the Eagles. I'm actually a Buffalo fan--so I guess that makes us
rivals. :)

J.

G. Morgan February 6th 05 08:42 AM

Subject: Strong sulfur smell from furnace
Newsgroup: alt.home.repair
= Julie P. = wrote:

LOL! Fortunately for me, I am not a native of this area, so I don't have any
love for the Eagles. I'm actually a Buffalo fan--so I guess that makes us
rivals. :)

As a former Oiler fan, I bid you a solid "eat my shorts"!

--

-Graham

Remove the snails to email

Julie P. February 6th 05 08:44 AM

"Geoman" wrote in message

"Julie P." wrote in message
"ameijers" wrote in message

"Steve@carolinabreezehvac"
wrote
in message ...

"Julie P." wrote in message

Snip)
[...]

Rich, thanks for this info. I guess I was kind of naive. I assumed there
wouldn't be any fire. And just assumed if there were any, I would just
leave. Fortunately, I was lucky. And the switch was actually at the top of
the basement stairs, so it was easy to turn off.

I'm going to print out the relevant posts here, and make a case with my
landlord. I'll have to see how that goes. She might actually surprise me. :)

Julie