Sam O'Nella

Default Which is the BEST exterior paint?

I need to paint my house this spring and I don't want to do it again for a
long time!

Is there a paint which outlasts others?

Matt

When I had my house painted, I had them use Sherwin Williams
'Duration'.

Supposedly it has a lifetime warranty.

I doubt that I'd ever get reimbursed if I filed a claim..... but having
said that it has held up quite well so far; but it was also applied to
brand new siding.

Travis Jordan

Sam O'Nella wrote:
I need to paint my house this spring and I don't want to do it again
for a long time!

Preparation is much, much more important that the top coat.

I second that!
Tom Baker

Colbyt

"Sam O'Nella" wrote in message
I need to paint my house this spring and I don't want to do it again for a
long time!

Is there a paint which outlasts others?

It is all in the skill and preparation of the painter.

A hack can make the best paint look bad and peel.

How long did your last paint job last?

Colbyt

xrongor

not to mention, that 'warranty' will reimburse you the 20 bucks you spent on
the can of paint. not the 500$ spent on having it painted, and having it
repainted with the new 'free' paint.

as was mentioned, the top coat is probably the least important issue in a
long lasting paint job.

randy

"Matt" wrote in message
oups.com...
When I had my house painted, I had them use Sherwin Williams
'Duration'.

Supposedly it has a lifetime warranty.

I doubt that I'd ever get reimbursed if I filed a claim..... but having
said that it has held up quite well so far; but it was also applied to
brand new siding.

The hooligan

Years ago the warranty on the back of top rated paints, said the
warranty only applied if the surface was cleaned, primed and two coated.
I doubt that says that anymore as studies show most people only live in
the same house for five to seven years. If you plan to be in the house
for ten years or more I would wash, scrape, sand, caulk, prime, and
paint two top coats, should last 15 to 20 years if applied right using
any top quality paint. One final note Kilz is NOT an exterior product no
matter who says so.

m Ransley

Sherwin W Duration or Ben moore are good. But the single most thing to
affect latex paint is painting when it is to hot out, painting a sun
warmed surface or one that will be in the sun soon. Best is first in
the morning paint the west side, East side after the sun passes. The
chalenge is when to do the south side. Hot surfaces and sun curing will
ruin latex paint. And of course there is the prep work. The problem is
many painters like to be in the sun, you have to insure you have someone
that will do it right.

Roger T.

"The hooligan" wrote in message
Years ago the warranty on the back of top rated paints, said the
warranty only applied if the surface was cleaned, primed and two coated.
I doubt that says that anymore as studies show most people only live in
the same house for five to seven years. If you plan to be in the house
for ten years or more I would wash, scrape, sand, caulk, prime, and
paint two top coats, should last 15 to 20 years if applied right using
any top quality paint.

"One final note Kilz is NOT an exterior product no
matter who says so".

Au Contraire! Kilz makes a range of exterior primers, as well as acrylic
and thinner based interior primers.

Roger T.

I think you get the general point from prior posters, Sam, that prep and
drying conditions count for much more than paint brand. Within brands, I
tend to go with the premium line, as they tend to have better or more
pigment, e.g. hiding and flow-on characteristics. Totally agree with
avoiding sun while applying, especially if is hot. We have had good luck
with Sherman Wms, Ben Moore, and Kelly Moore (currently going on 13 yrs with
only touchup needed), but highly focussed attention to wire brushing,
sanding, caulking, and priming. Underlying siding material, extent of eaves
overhang and hours exposure to sun/rain (e.g. orientation of wall) also
makes a huge difference, from house to house.

Sam O'Nella

Thanks everyone from the input. I have learned quite a bit!