toller

Default Mold Abatement

I don't expect anyone to give me definitive answers here, but maybe you can
point me to a good website or two.

I am on the board of a non-profit with a very serious mold problem..
They are getting all kinds of conflicting information...
*The drywall and insulation has to be removed by workers in hazmat suits for
$50,000. Then it must be decontaminated for another $50,000.
*Naw, anyone can do it for $3,000. Then you just scrub it with bleach.
*Why remove anything; you just saturate the building with ozone and kill
everything. Then repaint.

There are even larger conflicts about how to prevent it in the future.
Obviously they have limited resources.

So, if there is a good reference, I would be grateful.

Speedy Jim

toller wrote:

I don't expect anyone to give me definitive answers here, but maybe you can
point me to a good website or two.

I am on the board of a non-profit with a very serious mold problem..
They are getting all kinds of conflicting information...
*The drywall and insulation has to be removed by workers in hazmat suits for
$50,000. Then it must be decontaminated for another $50,000.
*Naw, anyone can do it for $3,000. Then you just scrub it with bleach.
*Why remove anything; you just saturate the building with ozone and kill
everything. Then repaint.

There are even larger conflicts about how to prevent it in the future.
Obviously they have limited resources.

So, if there is a good reference, I would be grateful.

A few that I've found helpful:
http://www.bugspray.com/catalog/prod...1621.html#1639
http://www.moldreporter.org/vol1no3/chlorDio
http://www.fiberlock.com/800600/gr/mrp.htm
http://www3.sympatico.ca/ross.fraser/Richard9.htm
http://alcor.concordia.ca/~raojw/crd...ept000179.html
http://www.skcinc.com/product.asp
http://www.pennhealth.com/ency/article/000070.htm
http://www.moldcheck.com/MoldCleanUp.asp
http://www.molddamagecontrol.com/list.htm
http://www.moldinspector.com/mold_removal.htm
http://www.aehf.com/articles/molds.html
http://www.ohiotoxicmold.com/tox_mold.htm
http://www.uticaod.com/archive/2004/...ews/14189.html
http://www.microbeguardinc.com/products.php?cat=1

Also, do a GOOGLE for: Mold + Remediation
(That will hit a lot of fly-by-night sites but there is good
info out there too.)

Jim
zxcvbob

toller wrote:
I don't expect anyone to give me definitive answers here, but maybe you can
point me to a good website or two.

I am on the board of a non-profit with a very serious mold problem..
They are getting all kinds of conflicting information...
*The drywall and insulation has to be removed by workers in hazmat suits for
$50,000. Then it must be decontaminated for another $50,000.
*Naw, anyone can do it for $3,000. Then you just scrub it with bleach.
*Why remove anything; you just saturate the building with ozone and kill
everything. Then repaint.

There are even larger conflicts about how to prevent it in the future.
Obviously they have limited resources.

So, if there is a good reference, I would be grateful.

You need to send a sample to a lab and identify the mold. If it is not
Stachybotris (sp?), then there is definitely no need for all that
decontamination bull****. If it is Stachybotris, you need to be careful
when you decontaminate it, and definitely wear good respirators.

Any "abatement service" who wants to do all that hazmat stuff without
identifying the mold first should be disqualified immediately because
they are crooks.

I suspect that anyone can take care of the problem, but there's more to
it than just bleaching and painting over.

Best regards,
Bob
m Ransley

Can`t give a site for you , but without fixing the cause first and being
sure it is fixed why even think about cleaning. It will just come back.
Ozone sounds interesting but you will need a big generator and how will
it get behind the walls, unless you leave it on a week while the
building is vacant. Fix the cause the mold will die, then consider what
is needed.

Jim M

"toller" wrote in message
I don't expect anyone to give me definitive answers here, but maybe you can
point me to a good website or two.

I am on the board of a non-profit with a very serious mold problem..
They are getting all kinds of conflicting information...
*The drywall and insulation has to be removed by workers in hazmat suits
for $50,000. Then it must be decontaminated for another $50,000.
*Naw, anyone can do it for $3,000. Then you just scrub it with bleach.
*Why remove anything; you just saturate the building with ozone and kill
everything. Then repaint.

There are even larger conflicts about how to prevent it in the future.
Obviously they have limited resources.

So, if there is a good reference, I would be grateful.
Two word comes to mind in my head... Insurance and Fire

MaritimeRogue

Removal
How do you get the molds out of buildings, including homes, schools, and
places of employment?
http://www.cdc.gov/nceh/airpollution/mold/stachy.htm

Prevention:
Bora-Care