Frank

Default Tankless water heater suggestions

Hello,

My wife and I are building our first house. We were looking into getting a
tankless water heater by S.E.T.S.
Our contractor was recently advised by some plumbers who were bidding on
this project that they advise against getting one as the water pressure is
extremely low. Also because Tankless water heater require some sort of
filtration system.

Are there any opinions as to the Pros and Cons of having one? Is there any
truth to what the plumbers said?

Any and all advise is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Frank L.

m Ransley

Mine flows 5 gpm and requires no filter look into Aquastar Takagi or
Rinnai. Rinnai has the highest efficency. I assume you mean gas.

Joseph Meehan

Frank wrote:
Hello,

My wife and I are building our first house. We were looking into
getting a tankless water heater by S.E.T.S.
Our contractor was recently advised by some plumbers who were bidding
on this project that they advise against getting one as the water
pressure is extremely low. Also because Tankless water heater
require some sort of filtration system.

Are there any opinions as to the Pros and Cons of having one? Is
there any truth to what the plumbers said?

Any and all advise is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Frank L.

That advice may have been true long ago, but I don't believe it is much
of a problem today.

However I might ask you if you are sure that is what you want. The
popularity of the tank type water heater is not an accident. It is a good
well designed solution. The tankless units are also good well designed
solutions.

They both, when properly sized, produce lots of properly heated water
with little or not work on the owner's part. They are both efficient use of
energy. Be sure your choice is well matched to your usage or you may find
you don't shower when you are doing the laundry.

The tankless has a slight advantage in energy usage for stand by losses,
but in most situations that is a very small issue.

The tank type is more failure to the workmen and has a few other also
small advantages.

--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

I would get in touch with the manufacturer and ask.
TB

Frank wrote:
Hello,

My wife and I are building our first house. We were looking into

getting a
tankless water heater by S.E.T.S.
Our contractor was recently advised by some plumbers who were bidding

on
this project that they advise against getting one as the water

pressure is
extremely low. Also because Tankless water heater require some sort

of
filtration system.

Are there any opinions as to the Pros and Cons of having one? Is

there any
truth to what the plumbers said?

Any and all advise is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Frank L.

That particular unit has 1/2" in and 1/2" out. That will affect the
pressure some. If you're looking to get an electric tankless you want
one that uses power sharing technology to control the temperature
output. They control the exact amount of amperage that is applied to
the elements. This allows them to control the output within a couple
degrees.

Units that stage the elements and power them up to full power to
control the temp can't accurately control the output. If you have a
sudden change in flow or temp these units can't react fast enough and
you will have a surge or drop in temperature. It makes taking a shower
mighty uncomfortable if you suddenly have a 30 degree surge or drop in
temperature.

Richard J Kinch

Joseph Meehan writes:

They are both efficient use of energy.

Tankless electrics are hugely inefficient in terms of causing demand peaks.

The only reason this doesn't kill them economically is that residential
power usually is sold without peak demand metering. This amounts to a
subsidy of residential electric users from commercial/industrial customers.
Which of course isn't a rational thing, just an accidental expedience, or
perhaps a political distortion of the market.

NJJohn

If you are thinking about a gas tankless, I have had success with the
Takagi TKD-20. It has 3/4 in/out and manages a flow rate of about 4gpm
with an inlet temp of 45F . It lets you pick your output temperature
and regulates the water flow and gas flow so the output water
temperature is constant. I keep mine at 117 degrees.

Some things to consider:
Flow rate - Determine you input water temperatue from the street during
winter. Look a the flow chart of the products you are reviewing to see
what the flow rate will be at that temperature. See if the product
meets your needs.

Recirc Pump - Whether you get a tankless or regular heater, consider a
recirulation pump to keep the hot water in the line up to the furthest
fixure. This will get the hot water running much more quickly. For
the tankless, this also helps eliminate the annoying 3 or 4 seconds of
cold water before the heater reaches full temperature. Not all
tankless will work with a recirculation pump. The Takagi shuts down
when the inlet temperature reaches the chosen output temperature.

Gas - If you are considering a gas heater, make sure your gas lines are
sized to meet the heater along with any other equipment. The Takagi
and other is rated around 20,000 - 185,000 btus.

The tankless does provide endless hot water and it very quiet. I have
been using it for two years. My reasons for buying the tankless were
due to multiple baths/showers for the family. We were running out of
hot water in the winter with the very cold input temperature. Also
consider a high efficient regular heater along with the tankless. See
if the math works out. The tankless has a high initial cost, lower
running cost. Some of the regular heaters are also very efficient at a
much lower initial cost. There is also the issue of repair and parts.
Any plumber can fix a regular heater and probably has the parts on the
truck. Tankless are much more complex and probably much more expensive
to fix and you'll wait for parts. I kept my regular heater available
just in case my tankless has a problem.

Regards,
John

Do not, I repeat, DO NOT! get a SETS brand tankless heater.

My husband and I purchased one about 2 years ago, against the advice of
our plumber, who actually refused to install it. Yes, it has a
lifetime guarantee, but we have had nothing but trouble.
First of all, we paid another plumber/electrician about $700 to install
it.
Then we couldn't get it to run hot water. You would turn on the water
and it would heat up for a few seconds, and then internal breakers
would trip and turn it off. We called SETS and they sent new parts.
That didn't work. So they send a new circuit board. That didn't work.
Then instead of replacing the existing type parts, they sent ones
without breakers in them to circumvent any tripping. Mind you, all
this takes time, and the mail from Florida to Virginia takes a few
days.
The next thing that happened was that the internal washers went bad and
we came home to water all over the place. Again we called. We waited
a week and called again. The original order never did reach us, so
they send washers again.
Now the latest, this morning at 5 am, January 26, my husband went in to
take a shower, 20 degrees outside and we have no hot water.
In addition to this, through the two years we have had the heater -
yes it does go on unlimited hot water which is the only good thing
about it - but - the drill for running a bath or shower goes something
like this.
1. Turn on the water to all hot.
2. Let the water run full blast for 30 seconds to two minutes.
3. At this point you will feel the water get warm, and then VERY VERY
HOT - hot enough to scald you.
4. Then it gets cold again.
5. Then after about another minute or two it will warm to the
temperature it is supposed to be so that you can take your shower, wash
your face or whatever.

We were willing to put up with the fluctuations in order to get
unlimited hot water, but we have had it with SETS.

We are in the process of building a new house and WILL NOT be
purchasing a SETS. We are now looking at Bosch, which I understand is
a much better unit.

My husband emailed to SETS this morning and has not heard back yet,
even though he left two phone numbers. And he did tell them that I
would be posting our dissatisfaction on the internet.
Thank you for your time.
Pat Davis

willshak

On 1/26/2005 2:14 PM US(ET), took fingers to keys,
and typed the following:

[...]

Thanks for posting this. I was considering a tankless heater, but I
think I will wait another 50 years for them to work out the bugs.

--
Bill
Andy Hill

willshak wrote:
Thanks for posting this. I was considering a tankless heater, but I
think I will wait another 50 years for them to work out the bugs.

OTOH, I've had a Takagi TK-2 that's been completely and utterly flawless for the
two years it's been installed. Tankless water heaters are no more rocket
science than a furnace, and, just like furnaces, there are **** brands and
quality brands.

willshak wrote:
[...]

No no you misunderstand. It is the SETS model I am bashing. Not all
tankless heaters. We plan on getting one for our new house. Just not
SETS. Between the on-demand feature and the programmed thermostat on
our heat pump/AC our electric bills have dropped to under around $90
per month year round. We live in an all electric home - 1632sf.
Regards,

Pat

m Ransley

Bosch, Takagi and Rinnai and others are quality and have been common in
Europe where the best are make for at least 40 yrs. Bosch carries an
electric unit that is probably one of the best. Yes there is alot more
to fix when they break but the payback and design life of the coil make
them atractive. Im happy wih mine for the savings and quality

willshak

On 1/26/2005 5:30 PM US(ET), took fingers to keys,
and typed the following:

willshak wrote:

On 1/26/2005 2:14 PM US(ET),
took fingers to keys,

and typed the following:

[...]

At app. .11 KWh, I use the least electric as I can. Everything in my
2000 SF house that is used to generate heat is fueled by LP gas, or fuel
oil, except for the elect. oven, microwave oven, and toaster oven.

--
Bill

willshak wrote:
On 1/26/2005 2:14 PM US(ET),
took fingers to
keys,

and typed the following:

-
[...]

Regarding SETS replying to our email:
We received one this morning, that they will be sending a new unit. It
will probably take 4 days to get here from Florida. Thank goodness we
never disconnected our tank heater.

Pat

[...]

Did you look into the Seisco?

The bugs have actually been worked out. But, the most of the electric
tankless makers still try to control the output temp in a manner that
isn't very effective. There are two makers that actually do a good job
controlling the temp output. Seisco and Envirotech are the only two
units that can steadily maintain within a couple degrees.

Frank

wrote in message
oups.com...

wrote:
[...]

I just want to say thanks again for all the input. I'm going to look into
the Bosch as well as the Seisco. It seems that Natural Gas and LP are the
better way to go though. Unfortunately I don't have that option. I have to
opt for the electric.

Again thnx.

Frank L.

willshak wrote:
On 1/26/2005 2:14 PM US(ET),
took fingers to
keys,

and typed the following:

[...]

So now it is February 8 and we still don't have our replacement heater.
My husband called last week and left a voice message (you can never
get through to a person by calling the support line). To daye we have
received no answer. So, I called SETS this morning and talked to the
SALES people because the technical support people never answer our
calls. Jennifer in sales told me that she would have to research our
issue and call me back. So the person who emailed us didn't put
through an order??? This is one of the poorest companies I have ever
worked with in regards to support and service and RESPONSE. We are
STILL waiting for HOT water. (Husband just had surgery, it's cold
outside etc, etc, etc).

chillermfg

wrote in message
oups.com...

willshak wrote:
On 1/26/2005 2:14 PM US(ET),
took fingers to
keys,

and typed the following:

[...]

Tankless "on demand" water heaters are not new technology. As Mrs. Davis
said, perhaps the brand she had chosen is not up to par, but there are many
others that perform superbly. I have heard several good things about the
Takagi and Bosch Brands. As far as more commercial use, Hamilton Engineering
makes an incredible unit. They have a few units that can supply a demand for
not only your hot water at the taps, laundry and shower, but enough to also
heat your house hydronically and the neighbors house. Yet the unit is still
smaller than your current hot water heater. Of course as these are
commercial units, the cost is a little higher, but for efficiencies as high
as 99% you'll probably make up the difference in a short time.

ReRe

m Ransley

ChillerMnfg

Who makes a condensing tankless unit of 99% eficiency. I did not know
any condensing are made . Rinnai and Takagi have very high out put
units for heating and HW . Takagi has a 180000 BTU model 83%. Rinnai
has higher BTU models with the highest efficiency I`ve seen yet, perhaps
88%.

chillermfg

"m Ransley" wrote in message
ChillerMnfg

Who makes a condensing tankless unit of 99% eficiency. I did not know
any condensing are made . Rinnai and Takagi have very high out put
units for heating and HW . Takagi has a 180000 BTU model 83%. Rinnai
has higher BTU models with the highest efficiency I`ve seen yet, perhaps
88%.

Hamilton Engineering
EVO 99 series

Sit down though. The $$$ is several thousand. We sold one as a package with
one of our chiller units. Our chiller was used with an air handler unit to
cool a work facility. During the cold months, the chiller was switched off
and the EVO was turned on to circulate its hot water through the air
handler. Presto, they had heat....and a pretty darn good amount of it.
That Takagi model is about $700 - $750 depending on who you know, the EVO is
close to 7 times that.

ReRe

ReRe

[...]

http://www.hamiltonengineering.com/e...fficiency.html

BTW here is the website if you want to look at it. It is actually up to
99.8% efficient.

ReRe

Water heater leak? Jim Z Home Repair 1 July 18th 04 01:57 PM
Power cost of idle electric water heater Phil Sherrod Home Repair 57 April 2nd 04 10:51 PM
Power cost of idle electric water heater Phil Sherrod Home Ownership 50 April 2nd 04 04:55 PM