DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Cutting a hole in Corian (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/86911-cutting-hole-corian.html)

toller January 18th 05 04:22 AM

Cutting a hole in Corian

I am replacing an faucet in my kitchen corian sink. The old faucet had a
single hole that everything went though; the new one has three holes. So I
need two new holes.

Is a hole saw the proper tool? A spade bit doesn't seem right. Any tips
would be much appreciated.

BTW; the old faucet is about 6 years old. The rubber gasket basically
disintigrated, so now it just flops around and can't be tightened up.
Replacing the faucet is just as easy as replacing the gasket, so I would
like one that doesn't have this problem.
So... Is this an inherent problem with one hole faucets, or was mine
poorly installed?

Thanks.

Edwin Pawlowski January 18th 05 04:43 AM

"toller" wrote in message

BTW; the old faucet is about 6 years old. The rubber gasket basically
disintigrated, so now it just flops around and can't be tightened up.
Replacing the faucet is just as easy as replacing the gasket, so I would
like one that doesn't have this problem.
So... Is this an inherent problem with one hole faucets, or was mine
poorly installed?

Poorly installed. I have single faucets for years with no problems like
that.

Why replace it? Don't you have any duct tape???????

[email protected] January 18th 05 05:11 AM

toller wrote:

I am replacing an faucet in my kitchen corian sink. The old faucet had a
single hole that everything went though; the new one has three holes. So I
need two new holes.
. . .
BTW; the old faucet is about 6 years old. The rubber gasket basically
disintigrated, so now it just flops around and can't be tightened up.
Replacing the faucet is just as easy as replacing the gasket, so I would

Except, of course, that if you replace the gasket, you don't have to
be drilling holes in your countertop....

Charles Bishop January 18th 05 06:28 AM

In article , "toller" wrote:

I am replacing an faucet in my kitchen corian sink. The old faucet had a
single hole that everything went though; the new one has three holes. So I
need two new holes.

Is a hole saw the proper tool? A spade bit doesn't seem right. Any tips
would be much appreciated.

BTW; the old faucet is about 6 years old. The rubber gasket basically
disintigrated, so now it just flops around and can't be tightened up.
Replacing the faucet is just as easy as replacing the gasket, so I would
like one that doesn't have this problem.
So... Is this an inherent problem with one hole faucets, or was mine
poorly installed?

As I recall, cutting or drilling Corian requires speciality tools, such as
carbide ones. It's been a while so you might check with a local Corian
supplier. They can probably be rented, but overall, I'd just replace the
single hole faucet with a new one, spending the money you save on not
haveing to buy or rent tools on a higher quality one.

Yours could have been mid range to low end. Can you find a replacement
gasket easily?

charles

willshak January 18th 05 01:01 PM

On 1/17/2005 11:22 PM US(ET), toller took fingers to keys, and typed the
following:

http://www.naturalhandyman.com/iip/i...ingcorian.shtm

--
Bill

toller January 18th 05 02:18 PM

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
om...

"toller" wrote in message

BTW; the old faucet is about 6 years old. The rubber gasket basically
disintigrated, so now it just flops around and can't be tightened up.
Replacing the faucet is just as easy as replacing the gasket, so I would
like one that doesn't have this problem.
So... Is this an inherent problem with one hole faucets, or was mine
poorly installed?

Poorly installed. I have single faucets for years with no problems like
that.

Why replace it? Don't you have any duct tape???????

At the risk of asking a stupid question, duct tape?

toller January 18th 05 02:20 PM

"willshak" wrote in message
On 1/17/2005 11:22 PM US(ET), toller took fingers to keys, and typed the
following:

I am replacing an faucet in my kitchen corian sink. The old faucet had a
single hole that everything went though; the new one has three holes. So
I need two new holes.

Is a hole saw the proper tool? A spade bit doesn't seem right. Any tips
would be much appreciated.

BTW; the old faucet is about 6 years old. The rubber gasket basically
disintigrated, so now it just flops around and can't be tightened up.
Replacing the faucet is just as easy as replacing the gasket, so I would
like one that doesn't have this problem.
So... Is this an inherent problem with one hole faucets, or was mine
poorly installed?

Thanks.

http://www.naturalhandyman.com/iip/i...ingcorian.shtm

Thank you. Maybe I won't trust my Harbor Freight hole saw; though I just
used it to cut a hole in an electrical panel box.

Edwin Pawlowski January 18th 05 03:31 PM

"toller" wrote in message

Why replace it? Don't you have any duct tape???????

At the risk of asking a stupid question, duct tape?

maintenance/mechanical humor.

If it moves and shouldn't, use duct tape.

If it won't move and should, use wd-40