Choreboy

Default Refrigerator paint

I have a white GE refrigerator about 15 years old. It is developing
severe rust spots because the exterior paint is disintegrating.

What's a good way to stop the rust and fix the finish? I can't take it
out of service but in a few weeks I will be able to ventilate the
kitchen on warm afternoons if paint fumes would be a problem.
Hello Friend

The best product ive found for this problem is POR15. go to :
www.por15.com . This stuff is simply amazing.

Appliance Repair Aid

Choreboy wrote:
I have a white GE refrigerator about 15 years old. It is developing
severe rust spots because the exterior paint is disintegrating.

What's a good way to stop the rust and fix the finish? I can't take

it
out of service but in a few weeks I will be able to ventilate the
kitchen on warm afternoons if paint fumes would be a problem.

Hi,

I guess you could give the surface a good cleaning to remove any finger
prints/oils/grease and such, then sand the rusted areas and try an
appliance white spray paint to freshin up the finish.
http://www.repairclinic.com/referral.asp?R=153&N=560
White Appliance Spray Paint - White acrylic paint. 12-ounce spray can.

This finish wouldn't be baked on the like the original and may scratch
easier, but hopefully will cover the rusted area's.
jeff.
Appliance Repair Aid
http://www.applianceaid.com

Joseph Meehan

Choreboy wrote:
I have a white GE refrigerator about 15 years old. It is developing
severe rust spots because the exterior paint is disintegrating.

What's a good way to stop the rust and fix the finish? I can't take
it out of service but in a few weeks I will be able to ventilate the
kitchen on warm afternoons if paint fumes would be a problem.

Well first the rust is damaging the paint not the other way around I
would suspect.

You can try some of the appliance paint sold in the big box stores, but
don't expect like new results.

For like new results, I suggest having the pros come in. They will do
it quick and do a better job than you can do yourself and all on site. It
may cost a lot less than you are thinking.

However it is 15 years old. Consider replacement.

--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Edwin Pawlowski

"Choreboy" wrote in message
I have a white GE refrigerator about 15 years old. It is developing
severe rust spots because the exterior paint is disintegrating.

What's a good way to stop the rust and fix the finish? I can't take it
out of service but in a few weeks I will be able to ventilate the
kitchen on warm afternoons if paint fumes would be a problem.

You have a few options.

You can buy spray paint at any good hardware store of home center. It may
not be a perfect match and then you have to paint the entire appliance.
Some people are not good at spraying paint from those cans.

Call a pro that does on-site painting of appliances. It will look like
brand new when done. A friend had his done and I was amazed at the quality
of the job. It was not cheap though.

Buy a new fridge. Given the age, it may go at any time or it may last ten
more years. Crap shoot at best. New units will save energy and have
better features. Amazing just how much you can get for $450 or so.

I would not spend a lot of money to have an old, presumably inefficient
by today's standards, refrigerator painted. If you can't do it
yourself cheaply, then consider a new stainless steel refrigerator.
Most (maybe all?) are energy star, and you won't have to sorry about it
rusting again.

Chip C

I would not spend a lot of money to have an old, presumably

inefficient
by today's standards, refrigerator painted. If you can't do it
yourself cheaply, then consider a new stainless steel refrigerator.
Most (maybe all?) are energy star, and you won't have to sorry about

it
rusting again.

On all but the most expensive stainless-steel fridges, only the visible
parts of the door are s.s. The sides and tops are normal steel covered
in some other finish, usually a black vinyl stuff. (You can tell its
normal steel under the stuff 'cause fridge magnets stick).

Chip C

ares

I've used Rustoleum spray paint in gloss white or almond to freshen up the
look of old appliances; I've sanded rust a bit first. Guess it depends how
picky you are on how it's going to look if you don't think you can do it
yourself. Just try quick strokes side to side and don't go over the same
spot too much. I had a little problems with drips from the can but that's
'cuz the nozzle broke and I'm not too picky as long as it's nice and shiny
and all approximately one color without metal showing.
ares