Me

Default Bathtub Drain Woes

Hi all,
I've just installed a new tub drain. Surprisingly nothing leaks, but
the tub drains so sloooooowly now you might as well have the stopper in
place. What did I do wrong?!?!
Thanks,
Steve

Speedy Jim

Me wrote:

Hi all,
I've just installed a new tub drain. Surprisingly nothing leaks, but
the tub drains so sloooooowly now you might as well have the stopper in
place. What did I do wrong?!?!
Thanks,
Steve

What kinda stopper? Ordinary trip lever? If so, pull the stopper
out and see how it drains. May just need adj.

Jim
Me

What kinda stopper? Ordinary trip lever? If so, pull the stopper
out and see how it drains. May just need adj.

Jim

It's one of those pop-up ones. I've unscrewed the pop-up part to look
into the drain from the tub. Still drains slowly. Virtually not at
all. Is it possible there is air trapped somewhere? I replaced
everything up to the U. That was untouched.

Beachcomber

On 14 Jan 2005 19:52:11 -0800, "Me" wrote:

What kinda stopper? Ordinary trip lever? If so, pull the stopper
out and see how it drains. May just need adj.

Jim

It's one of those pop-up ones. I've unscrewed the pop-up part to look
into the drain from the tub. Still drains slowly. Virtually not at
all. Is it possible there is air trapped somewhere? I replaced
everything up to the U. That was untouched.

Do you hear a glug-glug sound? Bathtub and basin drains need to be
vented to drain properly. Did you check the vent stack that runs to
your roof for blockages?

Beachcomber

Mikey S.

Can you run a plumbing snake through the drain and trap? Perhaps some debris
fell into the drainpipe while you were working on it..if so then hopefully
you can clear up the clog. Hopefully it's not a tool or anything else solid
that you wont be able to clear out easily.

How fast did it drain before you changed the tub?

--

Mikey S.
http://www.mike721.com

It's one of those pop-up ones. I've unscrewed the pop-up part to look
into the drain from the tub. Still drains slowly. Virtually not at
all. Is it possible there is air trapped somewhere? I replaced
everything up to the U. That was untouched.

Me

No sound. In fact, it has stopped draining at all and the water in the
tub from last night was still there this morning. Good idea. I'll
check it.

Me

I'll try running a snake down it. Thing is it drained fine before I
replaced the drain. Argh.

Me

Do you hear a glug-glug sound? Bathtub and basin drains need to be
vented to drain properly. Did you check the vent stack that runs to
your roof for blockages?

Beachcomber

If it were the vent, won't other drains in the house be slow? It's so
weird as all was well before I changed the drain pipes and it doesn't
seem like anything I did would effect the drain process.
S.

willshak

On 1/15/2005 1:52 PM US(ET), Me took fingers to keys, and typed the
following:

Do you hear a glug-glug sound? Bathtub and basin drains need to be
vented to drain properly. Did you check the vent stack that runs to
your roof for blockages?

Beachcomber

If it were the vent, won't other drains in the house be slow? It's so
weird as all was well before I changed the drain pipes and it doesn't
seem like anything I did would effect the drain process.
S.

Hmmmm... I wonder what happened to that sponge I used to wipe up the
mess around the drain before I put the new one in?

--
Bill

Steve B.

On 14 Jan 2005 19:52:11 -0800, "Me" wrote:

What kinda stopper? Ordinary trip lever? If so, pull the stopper
out and see how it drains. May just need adj.

Jim

It's one of those pop-up ones. I've unscrewed the pop-up part to look
into the drain from the tub. Still drains slowly. Virtually not at
all. Is it possible there is air trapped somewhere? I replaced
everything up to the U. That was untouched.

My guess? You dislodged a bunch of old nastys that collected in that
trap and clogged it up. pull the trap and clean it out and you ought
to be draining good as ever again.

Steve B.
Me

My guess? You dislodged a bunch of old nastys that collected in that
trap and clogged it up. pull the trap and clean it out and you ought
to be draining good as ever again.

Ya know? That's exactly what it was. Not *in* the trap, but on the
downstream side where it meets to vent up and drain down. Chock full
o' nassssty little bits of ick from the inside of the pipes. Chopped
it all out (love them old pipes!) and hopefully it'll be a quick job to
replace. Not being naive, just optimistic! Thanks to all for your
comments!
S.