blueman

Default Basement slab resurfacing/repair/replacement

The basement slab in our 150 year old house has seen better days. It
has settled with the center about 7 inches lower than the
corners. Also there are cracks and many "rough" spots.

I would like to refinish the surface for a basement workshop and am
considering several options:
1. Add a new cement topcoat to the surface to cover cracks and rough
spots and partially level the floor (I don't expect to be able to
make up the full 7in height difference but that will only primarily
effect the edges and corners)

2. Dig up the old slab and replace it

3. Do nothing?

- Any thoughts on what the best way to go is and what might be the cost?
[Area is about 700sq feet and we are in the Northeast]

- What type of trade person do you call to do this type of work?

Thanks,
Jeff

The basement slab in our 150 year old house has seen better days. It
has settled with the center about 7 inches lower than the
corners. Also there are cracks and many "rough" spots.

I would like to refinish the surface for a basement workshop and am
considering several options:
1. Add a new cement topcoat to the surface to cover cracks and rough
spots and partially level the floor (I don't expect to be able to

I'd want to know why you've got 7" of subsidence under the basement
floor, before making any suggestions. Of course, if you break up
and remove the existing slab, you'll be able to see what's going
on, and fix it. And put insulation under the new slab, too. Of
course,
there's a small but real chance that the existing slab is all that's
keeping soil pressure from shoving your foundation-walls in..

--Goedjn
willshak

On 1/11/2005 11:07 AM US(ET), blueman took fingers to keys, and typed
the following:

The basement slab in our 150 year old house has seen better days. It
has settled with the center about 7 inches lower than the
corners. Also there are cracks and many "rough" spots.

I would like to refinish the surface for a basement workshop and am
considering several options:
1. Add a new cement topcoat to the surface to cover cracks and rough
spots and partially level the floor (I don't expect to be able to
make up the full 7in height difference but that will only primarily
effect the edges and corners)

2. Dig up the old slab and replace it

3. Do nothing?

- Any thoughts on what the best way to go is and what might be the cost?
[Area is about 700sq feet and we are in the Northeast]

- What type of trade person do you call to do this type of work?

Thanks,
Jeff

First, do you have access to the basement without going through the
house, either by bilco type door or windows?
If so, I would want number 2.
Less work involved. The concrete may have settled as far as it is going
to. The old concrete serves as a sub base.
Call a concrete contractor for a better on-site estimate of work
involved and cost.

--
Bill