DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Water dripping at Central Air Vent in Winter (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/85215-water-dripping-central-air-vent-winter.html)

[email protected] January 8th 05 03:53 PM

Water dripping at Central Air Vent in Winter

I have a Trane central air unit. I have it for the 3rd winter now.

Water is dripping down to one of the air vent (not return) and leaking
to the floor. I have a HVAC technician took a look, but he said there
is no water in the Central air unit, and maybe cause by condensation,
however, I am not sure that's the case because even after we taped up
the return, the water is still dripping...

Have anyone experience this problem and know how to resolve this
problem?

Thanks.

Travis Jordan January 8th 05 03:57 PM

wrote:
I have a Trane central air unit. I have it for the 3rd winter now.

Water is dripping down to one of the air vent (not return) and leaking
to the floor. I have a HVAC technician took a look, but he said there
is no water in the Central air unit, and maybe cause by condensation,
however, I am not sure that's the case because even after we taped up
the return, the water is still dripping...

Heat pump or gas / electric furnace?

Do you have a central humidifier?

PJx January 8th 05 07:34 PM

On 8 Jan 2005 07:53:50 -0800, wrote:

I have a Trane central air unit. I have it for the 3rd winter now.

Water is dripping down to one of the air vent (not return) and leaking
to the floor. I have a HVAC technician took a look, but he said there
is no water in the Central air unit, and maybe cause by condensation,
however, I am not sure that's the case because even after we taped up
the return, the water is still dripping...

Have anyone experience this problem and know how to resolve this
problem?

Thanks.

It is condensation and not that uncommon. Just most don't notice it.
Block it off if it is a problem.

[email protected] January 8th 05 11:56 PM

Central air is on the attic (above 2nd floor), and kitchen is on the
1st floor, and the vent in the kitchen is the one that's dripping, all
other vents are dry.

I taped up the return vent already but doesn't help... what else
should I block off or what should I do?

Thanks,
/Kyle

PJx January 9th 05 09:35 PM

On 8 Jan 2005 15:56:03 -0800, wrote:

Central air is on the attic (above 2nd floor), and kitchen is on the
1st floor, and the vent in the kitchen is the one that's dripping, all
other vents are dry.

I taped up the return vent already but doesn't help... what else
should I block off or what should I do?

Thanks,
/Kyle

Assuming that you are not using the ducts during the winter you have
to close ALL of them off. And the one in the kitchen should be filled
with towels before you seal it off, to absorb the water so it doesn't
drip.

HeatMan January 9th 05 10:36 PM

"PJx" wrote in message
On 8 Jan 2005 15:56:03 -0800, wrote:

Central air is on the attic (above 2nd floor), and kitchen is on the
1st floor, and the vent in the kitchen is the one that's dripping, all
other vents are dry.

I taped up the return vent already but doesn't help... what else
should I block off or what should I do?

Thanks,
/Kyle

Assuming that you are not using the ducts during the winter you have
to close ALL of them off. And the one in the kitchen should be filled
with towels before you seal it off, to absorb the water so it doesn't
drip.

Right.

And when the forget them in the spring, they'll get no airflow and a soggy
moldy/mildewy mess..

Ugh....

[email protected] January 11th 05 04:28 AM

Thank you all very much for your suggestion, I'll give a try with the
towel.

Thank you.

PJx January 15th 05 05:18 AM

On 10 Jan 2005 20:28:40 -0800, wrote:

Thank you all very much for your suggestion, I'll give a try with the
towel.

Thank you.

Good luck. I don't really understand it myself. My house is so dry
when my furnace is running that it dries out my sinuses and I wake up
with a bloody nose, but I live in Houston.
But dripping vents is a common problem and has appeared often
here.

bunn January 23rd 05 12:30 AM

you may have air leaking around the box the grill is in. You will need
to remove the grill and seal were it penetrates the ceiling.

--
bunn
bunn's Profile: http://homerepairforums.org/forums/member.php?userid=26