jeff

Default Gerber shower faucet handle won't pull off

I'm trying to remove a Gerber shower faucet handle. My shower is the 3 knob
type.

I've removed the screw that holds the knob in place, but it still won't come
off. I have pulled with what I, myself, consider to be a substantial amount
of force, but the knob still won't come off. Should I try to force it off
by pulling with all my might using both hands, or could doing this cause
damage to the valve, etc.?

I notice that when I pull on the knob, there is some movement beyond the
knob, but there is zero evidence that the knob itself is loosening. In
other words, when I pull on the knob, the whole valve assembly ( not sure
the right terminology) seems to pull outward slightly and then stop, but the
knob is not loosening at all. I'm afraid to apply more force as I don't
want to damage anything. I just want the knob itself to come off.

Should I just bite the bullet and try and force it off with all my might
using both hands, or could doing this potentially cause damage to the stem,
the valve, or the bath-tiles etc.?

Would I be better off purchasing a special handle-puller tool to remove the
knob?

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

J.

Doug Kanter

"jeff" wrote in message
[...]

Try heating the handle with a hair dryer, or repeated applications of very
hot water. Just be careful if the handle is plastic. It's probably stuck on
due to mineral deposits. Then try pulling very hard. If you damage anything,
it's most likely to be parts that are easy to replace anyway.

Colbyt

"jeff" wrote in message
[...]

Buy a faucet handle puller.

You might be able to find this at the boxe stores any real plumbing store
will have one.

The pictures on the back of the package will teach you all you need to know.
Soak the handle in vinegar water before you re -install it.

Colbyt

Doug Kanter

I'll add one thing he Someone said to soak the handle in vinegar before
reinstalling. That will remove mineral deposits, but they'll be back next
time you need to remove the handle. So, coat the mounting hole with some
vaseline before reinstalling. Even better would be axle grease. Boating
stores sell it in small tubes for trailers. Not sure about auto supply
stores, but they probably have small packages too.

Mikepier

Is the gerber stem recessed in the wall? If it is, you probably cannot
see if there is another nut you have to loosen inside the wall.
I had a similiar situation like yours. I was pulling the stem with a
lot of force and it did not come out. Finally I decided to take a look
inside the wall and sure enough there was another nut I had to loosen.
You need a long deep rachet to fit over the stem to remove it. Of
course with so many brand faucets and stems out there it's tough to say
if you have the same one as mine. Good luck.