barry martin

Default Need to cut floor board i

Blueman:

B I have to remove a length of floor board to access underneath. This
B will require me to cut the floor board.
B - What is the best way to do this neatly? i.e., how do I get a saw
B started so that it only cuts the one plank that I want to cut.
B - Will a sawz-all type tool work? (if so, how do I get it started)
B Note the floor board is hardwood that is about 4" wide by 1" thick

Not sure how to cut but before cutting think of what you need to do
when replacing. I would try to cut in the middle of the joist, plus
put a 2x4 nailed to the side of the joist for support of the piece you
removed.

-
¯ barry.martinþATþthesafebbs.zeppole.com ®

* Don't pop someone elses bubble.
---
þ RoseReader 2.52á P003186
þ The Safe BBS þ Bettendorf, IA 563-359-1971
---
þ RIMEGate(tm)/RGXMod V1.13 at BBSWORLD *
Dave

A professional showed me how to do this once. He kindly allowed me to
use my own 7 1/4" circular saw, and later I realized that my saw blade was
being used to cut through the metal staples that hold the hardwood boards
down. You will consider retiring the saw blade after a few boards are taken
up, but overall it works pretty well. Set your depth of cut to correspond to
the thickness of the wood, and cut two parallel strips along the long edges
of the board, about 1cm in from each side to cut the staples or nails. On
the female side of the T&G you will want to be back a little to avoid
amputating the tongue of the adjacent board. To start the cut, fire up the
circular saw with it partly on it's nose, so the blade is off the wood, then
carefully tip the saw back until it is cutting the underlying board. Hold
carefully so if it jumps you won't be cut or injured. After the two cuts are
made, use a small prybar to pry up the board and debris. This technique will
obviously sacrifice the board so you will need a replacement, hopefully
matching the stain of the adjacent boards. Once one board is up, you can pry
the remaining boards off more easily.

Dave

news:1714334767.0866.56.1616301.1370017546.RIMEGat ...