Magnusfarce

Default Footing for Planter Wall in Yard

I want to put a simple raised planter around the perimeter of my back yard
that will be built of bricks maybe, say, three or four rows high (about 12
inches). What do I need to lay down on the soil as (or under) my first
layer? Anything special?

- Magnusfarce

Joseph Meehan

Magnusfarce wrote:
I want to put a simple raised planter around the perimeter of my back
yard that will be built of bricks maybe, say, three or four rows high
(about 12 inches). What do I need to lay down on the soil as (or
under) my first layer? Anything special?

- Magnusfarce

If I were building a 12 inch retaining wall, I would want to have a
footer below frost level. How deep if it exist at all, that may be depends
on where you live.

--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Roger

I built a similar planter, four rows high, and dug out a footer trench about
14" wide and 6" deep, then built 1x4 forms to result in concrete cross
section of 4x12", with a compacted gravel or sand base, and a pair of 1/4 or
3/8 inch rebars running the length of the footer. Rented an electric mixer,
and mixed concrete by the wheelbarrow load, to fill the forms. This was for
a swampy/sandy area. More durable soil may take less width of footer, I
don't know. I also put weep holes (just skipped the edge mortar) between
every 4th brick, on the bottom row, to assure drainage
There are also good resources at home improvement stores in the do it
yourself magazine and book sections, that have specific suggestions for how
to do footers, etc. Look under brick/masonry projects, and garden/patio
plan books. Also lots of info on the web via google.
Also, many sources on the net, via google, e.g.
http://chambers-tx.tamu.edu/publications/B6102.pdf

I want to put a simple raised planter around the perimeter of my back yard
that will be built of bricks maybe, say, three or four rows high (about 12
inches). What do I need to lay down on the soil as (or under) my first
layer? Anything special?

- Magnusfarce

DanG

Look into garden wall blocks. They do not require a concrete
footing, are fairly easy and forgiving with which to work, and
work well.

Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)

video on plastering TXXT123 UK diy 9 September 2nd 04 11:21 PM
Fixing a wall plate on a dense concrete block wall Jas Virdee UK diy 5 July 28th 04 09:00 AM
Deck Set on Retaining Wall jacktripper Home Repair 6 July 22nd 04 06:22 PM
"Damp" internal wall - initial measurements made. Any ideas? Clive Long,UK UK diy 5 January 30th 04 09:28 AM
Dry Rock Retaining Wall RedHeadAllDay Home Repair 4 August 18th 03 02:12 PM