James Clarke

Default A Badly Warped Situation

The wooden back door to our house is badly warped due to Oregon rain
and constantly shifting temperature changes and once it's open it's
hard to close. But once it's closed, it's bloody difficult to open.
Does anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this?

Thanks.

JC

Edwin Pawlowski

"James Clarke" wrote in message
The wooden back door to our house is badly warped due to Oregon rain
and constantly shifting temperature changes and once it's open it's
hard to close. But once it's closed, it's bloody difficult to open.
Does anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this?

Thanks.

Steel door! Probably the best long term solution.

Once warped, wood does not come back intoshape. If it is swelled, it may
shrink when dry. You have few options. Plane or cut the door to fit, then
seal it well with a good spar varnish or outdoor paint.

Roger

The wooden back door to our house is badly warped due to Oregon rain
and constantly shifting temperature changes and once it's open it's
hard to close. But once it's closed, it's bloody difficult to open.
Does anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this?

The cheapie route would be to refit the door, shaving/sawing bits off sides
until it fits with some play, as long as the weatherstripping stays put. I
have given up and replaced two such doors with prehung metal doors, replete
with jambs, shaped/sculpted to look like regular wood. You can get them with
or without double glazed windows. Lowes and Home Depot have them at
reasonable prices. They don't rot, and seem rust resistant.

PJx

On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 18:58:59 -0800, "James Clarke"
wrote:

The wooden back door to our house is badly warped due to Oregon rain
and constantly shifting temperature changes and once it's open it's
hard to close. But once it's closed, it's bloody difficult to open.
Does anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this?
Thanks.

1.Buy all New weather stripping.
2. Reinstall door with a full 1/8th inch clearance to allow for
expansion and contraction.
3. Insulate and weather proof.