blueman

Default Hooking up gas dryer...

We just built a new laundry room and had a licensed plumber run the
gas line and shutoff up to the dryer area.

When the dryer arrives, do I need to call in the plumber to hook it up
or is it a straightforward DIY project?

(I have no problem doing minor (water) plumbing and electrical, but am
more wary about gas, so I wanted to get advice here first...)
Appliance Repair Aid

blueman wrote:
We just built a new laundry room and had a licensed plumber run the
gas line and shutoff up to the dryer area.

When the dryer arrives, do I need to call in the plumber to hook it

up
or is it a straightforward DIY project?

(I have no problem doing minor (water) plumbing and electrical, but

am
more wary about gas, so I wanted to get advice here first...)

Hi,

This might help to see if you want to try this or not....

http://www.applianceaid.com/gasconnector.html
jeff.
Appliance Repair Aid
http://www.applianceaid.com/

William Deans

Greetings,

You can do it yourself.

a) turn off the gas valve
b) unscew the gas line cap
c) attach a piece of flexable gas hose from the dryer to the gas line
d) turn the gas back on
e) check for leaks with soapy water

Hope this helps,
William

"blueman" wrote in message
We just built a new laundry room and had a licensed plumber run the
gas line and shutoff up to the dryer area.

When the dryer arrives, do I need to call in the plumber to hook it up
or is it a straightforward DIY project?

(I have no problem doing minor (water) plumbing and electrical, but am
more wary about gas, so I wanted to get advice here first...)

Greg O

I agree, it is not a big deal, unless you screw it up!
This is one job that I would call a tech for if you are at all unsure of
what to do.
One tiny leak, and ka-boom, where did the house go??
Greg

news:1102989864.9a29485adc7a919fa94877c26d2900d4@t eranews...

"blueman" wrote in message
We just built a new laundry room and had a licensed plumber run the
gas line and shutoff up to the dryer area.

When the dryer arrives, do I need to call in the plumber to hook it up
or is it a straightforward DIY project?

(I have no problem doing minor (water) plumbing and electrical, but am
more wary about gas, so I wanted to get advice here first...)

Phisherman

On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 01:43:30 GMT, blueman wrote:

We just built a new laundry room and had a licensed plumber run the
gas line and shutoff up to the dryer area.

When the dryer arrives, do I need to call in the plumber to hook it up
or is it a straightforward DIY project?

(I have no problem doing minor (water) plumbing and electrical, but am
more wary about gas, so I wanted to get advice here first...)

Hooking up a gas appliance is easy, but if not done correctly could be
a hazard. Sometimes the gas company will hook the appliance up for
free or a small charge. I used a gas flex hose and Teflon tape to
hook up the dryer to the shut off valve. Then I tested the
connections with soapy water, then tested again after using the
appliance. You may smell gas (the nasty additive that is) the first
time it is hooked up, but not after that.

Edwin Pawlowski

"William Deans" wrote in message
c) attach a piece of flexable gas hose from the dryer to the gas line

Better check on that. It has been a while since I did any gas hookups, but
flex line was NOT permitted on any appliance except a stove.

John

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

"William Deans" wrote in message
c) attach a piece of flexable gas hose from the dryer to the gas line

Better check on that. It has been a while since I did any gas hookups, but
flex line was NOT permitted on any appliance except a stove.

What does code call for in earthquake prone areas, such as San Francisoc? I
can't see black iron pipe being a good idea to be run to every appliance,
furnace, etc. just to permit things to give a little without breaking.

willshak

On 12/13/2004 9:55 PM US(ET), Edwin Pawlowski took fingers to keys, and
typed the following:

"William Deans" wrote in message

c) attach a piece of flexable gas hose from the dryer to the gas line

Better check on that. It has been a while since I did any gas hookups, but
flex line was NOT permitted on any appliance except a stove.

Everything in my house that uses gas has a flex line between the gas
line and the appliance, and that includes a dryer, range, water heater,
and fireplace. All inspected and approved. The house was built in 1984,
and the fireplace was installed just last year.
mikey

blueman wrote:
We just built a new laundry room and had a licensed plumber run the
gas line and shutoff up to the dryer area.

When the dryer arrives, do I need to call in the plumber to hook it up
or is it a straightforward DIY project?

(I have no problem doing minor (water) plumbing and electrical, but am
more wary about gas, so I wanted to get advice here first...)

I'd have the licensed plumber hook it up for you.
(Surprised he didn't offer to include it in your job)

Seems like the incremental cost to have him complete
the job wouldn't be a big deal. Plus, if he does the
whole job and there is any issue what-so-ever, he
would likely come look at it (no room for finger
pointing).

mikey.

Stormin Mormon

OK, so tell him how soapy water checks for leaks. And then tell him what to
do if the soapy water changes color.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"William Deans" wrote in message
news:1102989864.9a29485adc7a919fa94877c26d2900d4@t eranews...
Greetings,

You can do it yourself.

a) turn off the gas valve
b) unscew the gas line cap
c) attach a piece of flexable gas hose from the dryer to the gas line
d) turn the gas back on
e) check for leaks with soapy water

Hope this helps,
William

Wayne Whitney

On 2004-12-14, Phisherman wrote:

I used a gas flex hose and Teflon tape to hook up the dryer to the
shut off valve.

I have wondered about using Teflon tape with this sort of flexible gas
line. I believe it is a flare fitting between the adapter and the
flexible line itself. Wouldn't that mean that Teflon tape on the
threads is superfluous, since the connection is made as the two flared
surfaces mate? All you need to do, I would think, is tighten the nut
full so the two surfaces mate. Is this correct?

Thanks, Wayne

HeatMan

On 2004-12-14, Phisherman wrote:

I used a gas flex hose and Teflon tape to hook up the dryer to the
shut off valve.

I have wondered about using Teflon tape with this sort of flexible gas
line. I believe it is a flare fitting between the adapter and the
flexible line itself. Wouldn't that mean that Teflon tape on the
threads is superfluous, since the connection is made as the two flared
surfaces mate? All you need to do, I would think, is tighten the nut
full so the two surfaces mate. Is this correct?

First off, if there is a warranty claim on the gas valve and the
manufacturer sees teflon tape in the works of the gas valve, the claim will
be denied. The tape will come off and possibly keep the valve from fully
closing.

You use thread compound on the pipe threads, not on the flare threads. If
you have to ask questions like this, ask yourself "is it worth the safety of
my family to possibly endanger them if I mess up?" Electricity has more of
a chance to kill you, but a gas leak can kill everyone in your house.

Thanks, Wayne

Pop

Good reference page, IMO. I got a chuckle out of the following
excerpt, too:

"or extreme vibration will cause mental fatigue "

MeNtal fatigue? Well, probably, when I think it through. g

Pop

"Appliance Repair Aid" wrote in message
ups.com...

| blueman wrote:
| We just built a new laundry room and had a licensed plumber
run the
| gas line and shutoff up to the dryer area.
|
| When the dryer arrives, do I need to call in the plumber to
hook it
| up
| or is it a straightforward DIY project?
|
| (I have no problem doing minor (water) plumbing and
electrical, but
| am
| more wary about gas, so I wanted to get advice here first...)
|
| Hi,
|
| This might help to see if you want to try this or not....
|
| http://www.applianceaid.com/gasconnector.html
| jeff.
| Appliance Repair Aid
| http://www.applianceaid.com/

Phisherman

On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 05:38:38 GMT, Wayne Whitney

On 2004-12-14, Phisherman wrote:

I used a gas flex hose and Teflon tape to hook up the dryer to the
shut off valve.

I have wondered about using Teflon tape with this sort of flexible gas
line. I believe it is a flare fitting between the adapter and the
flexible line itself. Wouldn't that mean that Teflon tape on the
threads is superfluous, since the connection is made as the two flared
surfaces mate? All you need to do, I would think, is tighten the nut
full so the two surfaces mate. Is this correct?

Thanks, Wayne

If there is a flared end no Teflon nor sealer should be used. But
still, check for leaks.
Appliance Repair Aid

Pop wrote:
Good reference page, IMO. I got a chuckle out of the following
excerpt, too:

"or extreme vibration will cause mental fatigue "

MeNtal fatigue? Well, probably, when I think it through. g

Pop

Ooops....typo
jeff.
Appliance Repair Aid