Doug Kanter

Default Crawlspace (sort of) under kitchen

My house (ranch) is built entirely over a basement except for an 8x8 part of
the kitchen which serves as the dining area. That section is built over what
I'll call a crawl space, although only a cat could crawl into it. Its only
openings are to the basement through two "slots" in the cinder block, each
about the height of a shoe box and twice as long. The house is one of 20
similar ones in the neighborhood, built in the 1950s, and I suspect the
builder offered a few options for saving money.

Anyway, the floor's pretty chilly. I could toss a rug in there, and since
it's not actually in the cooking area, I'd be OK with that. But, I'm open to
other thoughts. The flooring in the entire kitchen needs replacement, and
I've seen a few people here mention heated floors. Is that insanely
expensive? Does it require tile or stone, as opposed to the usual "soft"
flooring materials?

Charles Spitzer

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message
[...]

dig it out far enough so you can insulate? rip up the entire floor,
insulate, and replace the floor with new?

heated floors are expensive to run. water or electric. you can put them
under wood, tile, stone, linoleum, etc.

HeatMan

[...]

Radiant floor heat is the most comfortable there is. It's slightly
expensive to install, but the hydronic (as opposed to electric) is fairly
cheap to operate. It can be run off your water heater through a heat
exchanger to keep the potable water and the heating water separate.

You can heat almost surface ( I really can't think of a surface you can't
heat!), tile/ceramic, hardwood, or carpet.

Doug Kanter

"Charles Spitzer" wrote in message

[...]

Now there's a good idea. The existing floor doesn't have the right stuff
under the "congoleum", at least not by modern standards. I could change the
subfloor in this spot with a couple of 4x8 sheets, and then put "the right
stuff" (whatever that is) on top of it.

Doug Kanter

"HeatMan" wrote in message

[...]

I'm leaning toward tile because the kitchen is also the first entryway into
this house. It takes a beating.

meirman

In alt.home.repair on Fri, 10 Dec 2004 21:55:16 GMT, you or "Doug
Kanter" wrote:

My house (ranch) is built entirely over a basement except for an 8x8 part of
the kitchen which serves as the dining area. That section is built over what
I'll call a crawl space, although only a cat could crawl into it. Its only
openings are to the basement through two "slots" in the cinder block, each
about the height of a shoe box and twice as long. The house is one of 20
similar ones in the neighborhood, built in the 1950s, and I suspect the
builder offered a few options for saving money.

Anyway, the floor's pretty chilly. I could toss a rug in there, and since
it's not actually in the cooking area, I'd be OK with that. But, I'm open to
other thoughts.

I have NO experience in this, but I'd look into insulating foam that
is installed with a wand (usually in walls). If you can get a 9 foot
wand, it will reach the farthest corner of the space, but maybe
shorter wands would push the stuff into the corner as the space became
filled.

I'm sort of assuming the whole crawl space is only the height of a
shoe box, not just the entry holes.

This would be quick and easy, if it works.

If there are parts that can't be reached, maybe small holes could be
drilled in the floor in the corners.

My grandmother's house, built in the 30's maybe, had a crawl space
under the living room. When I went back to visit 10 or 20 years after
she moved out, the new owner had found shooting targets at the end of
it, and shells on the dirt where the shooter would stand. My
grandmother moved in there in the 1950's or more likely the 40's, so
someone had used it for target practice before that.

The flooring in the entire kitchen needs replacement, and
I've seen a few people here mention heated floors. Is that insanely
expensive? Does it require tile or stone, as opposed to the usual "soft"
flooring materials?

Meirman

If emailing, please let me know whether
or not you are posting the same letter.

SOLID V3.5 - CABINET VISION, Cabinet Design Centre v7.0 - Cubit, 20-20 Kitchen Design V6.1,Cabinet Vision Solid, Planit Millennium II [2 CDs], TurboCAD Pro V9.0 [3 CDs] ( Turbocad Pro V9.0, TurboCad Deluxe 9.2 FloorPlan v7.3, TurboProject Express v4S code_fu Woodworking 1 May 24th 05 04:09 PM
Kitchen Wiring - Help/Advice needed inNeedofHelp UK diy 21 November 8th 04 05:01 PM
Damp/Mould in kitchen Colin E. UK diy 1 September 20th 04 12:11 PM
Ideas to join kitchen and garage? FrancisJK UK diy 1 March 17th 04 08:59 PM
Cabinet Design Centre v7.0 - Cubit, 20-20 Kitchen Design V6.1,CabinetVision Solid, Planit Millennium II [2 CDs], TurboCAD Pro V9.0 [3 CDs] (Turbocad Pro V9.0, TurboCad Deluxe 9.2 FloorPlan v7.3, TurboProjectExpress v4S), Big Hammer Do It Yourself (De TEL Woodworking 0 February 6th 04 06:34 AM