DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   3HP Briggs & Stratton choke not working (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/79668-3hp-briggs-stratton-choke-not-working.html)

combs December 3rd 04 05:52 PM

3HP Briggs & Stratton choke not working

I have an older Tru-Test snow thrower with a 3HP Briggs & Stratton motor on it. The only way that I can get the unit to start, everytime is to unscrew the spark plug, pour in a shot of gas, and put the plug back in. It will start everytime this way. It appears that the manual choking system is not working. I am not an expert on Briggs & Stratton equipment and I am not sure where to start investigation.

Stormin Mormon December 4th 04 01:37 PM

One other thing to check. Sometimes on snow blowers, the gasket between the
carb and the engine goes bad. Dries out or whatever. I've had a case where
the choke was fine, but air was getting in through the gasket.

If you can't find a replacement, just give it a light coat of Permatex #2
non hardening gasket sealer, and put it all back together.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

m Ransley December 4th 04 02:26 PM

Look in the carburator throat, there is a circular disk that swivels ,
find it and the attached link, it may have come off or be jammed, make
sure it closes on ckoke and opens on run.