barry martin

Default Electrical interference f

Hi Darro!

D I forgot to mention that my all-battery radio hums too.

"'Cause it doesn't know the words!" Ooops; sorry: wrong joke! g

Seriously, the answers on failed/marginal filtering on the line-
operated radios are therefore incorrect as the hum also occurs on your
battery radio. The battery is DC (direct current) and in itself would
not cause a hum. The line-operated radios derive their power from the
wall outlet, which in the U.S. is 60 Hz AC (60 cycles per second
alternating current). The filtering circuit will either output 60 or
120 Hz.

Both frequencies are low-pitched, 60 Hz being sort of a growl. If you
are European their line frequencey is 50 Hz -- close enough to 60 Hz.

As the hum does not come from the radio's power supplies then it has
to be external. Now to find it. If the hum is more of a buzz and is
absent at certain times of the day then might be a fluorescent lamp.
Could mercury- or sodium-vapor security or street light.

If the buzzing changes at periodic intervals (like several times per
minute) it might be from LED traffic signals. (They're starting to
replace traffic signal bulbs with light emitting diodes. If you have
noticed the signal lights are a lot brighter and flash on or off
suddenly they probably have been changed. The light also appears to
have a bunch of dots rather than one solid light brighter in the
center.)

So suppose for now you need to use your battery-powered radio to try
to figure out what the source of the noise is.

-
¯ barry.martinþATþthesafebbs.zeppole.com ®

* What I need is a list of specific unknown problems we will encounter.
---
þ RoseReader 2.52á P003186
þ The Safe BBS þ Bettendorf, IA 563-359-1971
---
þ RIMEGate(tm)/RGXMod V1.13 at BBSWORLD *