Chris

Default GE magnetron removal from microwave

Hello:

I am wondering if anyone can provide instructions on removing a magnetron
from a GE 'over the range' Spacesaver microwave (model JVM1631WB).

I am able to remove the control panel and drain the capacitor, however, I
am not certain of the best way to gain access to the magnetron, which I
assume is located behind the main cooling fan.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Chris
call_me_al

The first thing I would do is google the model number and see if it is
one of the spacesavers that turn themselves on and catch fire. Second, a
new magnatron will cost close to 200.00 and from the reports I've read
it may not last any longer than the previous one. Try "GE microwave +
fire" on google and you will find a site that lists the model numbers
for the fire hazard models as well as the magnetron failure reports.
Good Luck

Travis Jordan

Chris wrote:
Hello:

I am wondering if anyone can provide instructions on removing a
magnetron from a GE 'over the range' Spacesaver microwave (model
JVM1631WB).

I am able to remove the control panel and drain the capacitor,
however, I am not certain of the best way to gain access to the
magnetron, which I assume is located behind the main cooling fan.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Chris

Sorry, can't help with the removal process, but putting a new magnetron in
it won't fix the design issue with the power supply. Hope you have a source
of low cost tubes.

http://www.epinions.com/hmgd-Large_A...splay_~reviews

jeff

Chris wrote in message ...
Hello:

I am wondering if anyone can provide instructions on removing a magnetron
from a GE 'over the range' Spacesaver microwave (model JVM1631WB).

I am able to remove the control panel and drain the capacitor, however, I
am not certain of the best way to gain access to the magnetron, which I
assume is located behind the main cooling fan.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Chris

Hi,

Somehting here may help....

http://p204.ezboard.com/fmikemerritt...ID=274.to pic

jeff.
Appliance Repair aid
http://www.applianceaid.com/
Travis Jordan

jeff wrote:
Chris wrote in message
Hello:

I am wondering if anyone can provide instructions on removing a
magnetron from a GE 'over the range' Spacesaver microwave (model
JVM1631WB).

I am able to remove the control panel and drain the capacitor,
however, I am not certain of the best way to gain access to the
magnetron, which I assume is located behind the main cooling fan.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Chris

Hi,

Somehting here may help....

http://p204.ezboard.com/fmikemerritt...ID=274.to pic

jeff.
Appliance Repair aid
http://www.applianceaid.com/

Jeff - Just read the link. I'm really impressed with the work you put into
helping a fellow 'netizen with repairing his microwave.

Just thought I'd say 'thank you' for taking the time to help us all out.

Chris

"Travis Jordan" wrote in
:

http://p204.ezboard.com/fmikemerritt...ge?topicID=274
.topic

jeff.
Appliance Repair aid
http://www.applianceaid.com/

Jeff - Just read the link. I'm really impressed with the work you put
into helping a fellow 'netizen with repairing his microwave.

Just thought I'd say 'thank you' for taking the time to help us all
out.

Hey Jeff!

Your message was AWESOME! I am glad I posted to this group and even
happier to find your reply!

Two questions:
1. I take it you _must_ remove the unit from the wall to replace this
magnetron?
2. My problem seems to be a loud hum/sparking located in the area of the
microwave directly behind the main capacitor...I am assuming that this is
the typical 'GE magnetron issue'. Do you agree?

God bless.

Chris
MC

Please be very carefull, there is very high voltage that feeds the magnatron
unit, can even hold a charge in the capacitor.
Would be best if had some small applicance repair and electronics background
when working on these units at that level.

MC

"Chris" wrote in message
"Travis Jordan" wrote in
:

jeff wrote:
Chris wrote in message
[...]

jeff

Chris wrote in message ...

Hey Jeff!

Your message was AWESOME! I am glad I posted to this group and even
happier to find your reply!

Two questions:
1. I take it you _must_ remove the unit from the wall to replace this
magnetron?
2. My problem seems to be a loud hum/sparking located in the area of the
microwave directly behind the main capacitor...I am assuming that this is
the typical 'GE magnetron issue'. Do you agree?

God bless.

Chris

G'day,

1. I take it you _must_ remove the unit from the wall to replace this
magnetron?

Yes.

2. My problem seems to be a loud hum/sparking located in the area of the
microwave directly behind the main capacitor...I am assuming that this is
the typical 'GE magnetron issue'. Do you agree?

Yes.

*Some* of these had an extended warranty, might be a good idea to call
GE to find out, have your full model# and serial# ready...
http://www.applianceaid.com/phone.html#phone

jeff.
Appliance Repair Aid
http://www.applianceaid.com/
jeff

"Travis Jordan" wrote in message m...

Jeff - Just read the link. I'm really impressed with the work you put into
helping a fellow 'netizen with repairing his microwave.

Just thought I'd say 'thank you' for taking the time to help us all out.

Your welcome!!

jeff.
Appliance Repair Aid
http://www.applianceaid.com/
Chris

Jeff:

One last thing regarding discharging the capacitor - it looks like the
wires run straight into these 2 black boots located on the bottom of the
capacitor.

Do I simply remove these boots to access the capacitor's contacts? Can you
provide any more detail on discharging the capacitor?

jeff

Chris wrote in message ...
Jeff:

One last thing regarding discharging the capacitor - it looks like the
wires run straight into these 2 black boots located on the bottom of the
capacitor.

Do I simply remove these boots to access the capacitor's contacts? Can you
provide any more detail on discharging the capacitor?

G'day,

We use needle nose pliers to discharge the cap if the wires are
coated/covered....stick them in to the bottom of the cap, just need to
touch both sides ( metal at the bottom where the wires are ) at the
same time.

jeff.
Appliance Repair Aid
http://www.applianceaid.com/