Rich

Default Replacing transmitter/receiver of old Sears garage door opener?

Buy a radio set.
http://garage-door-hardware.com/radio-controls.html

http://garage-door-hardware.com/delt...-controls.html

"Peabody" wrote in message
I have a 1972-vintage Sears garage door opener, model 139.654000
which still works great. But the only remote I have left is
falling apart, and is no longer dependable, particularly in very hot
or very cold weather.

The transmitter/receiver system is the old analog type - no digital
codes at all, just the specification of "carrier frequency" and
"modulation frequency", and the receiver is powered by 24VAC
provided from the main chassis. In fact, it appears that the
receiver actuates the opener mechanism by at least partially
shorting out its own power supply temporarily.

I have been unable to find any direct replacements for either the
transmitter or the receiver. In fact, I don't really see any total
replacements for the transmitter/receiver system that would operate
using the 24VAC power supply.

Does anybody have any suggestions for what to do? I'd like to avoid
having to replace the entire opener.

Art Todesco

I just replaced my transmitters/receiver with a Genie from Home Depot.
It has rolling digital codes. It comes with a wall-wart transformer
if you need it, but I powered mine directly from the 24 VAC from the
opener itself. BTW, this is the 2nd full replacement since 1972. This
time, the previous receiver got his by a lightening induced spike. I
think it was about $50 for the receiver and 1 transmitter. The 2nd
transmitter wasn't cheap, about $25 or so.

Peabody wrote:
[...]

Chet Hayes

Peabody wrote:
[...]

Yes, I think there are other universal replacement ones available too
that connect via the manual switch on the old system, so they don't
involve the old RF system at all.
Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Art Todesco, Patricia Quiggins wrote:
Just exactly where is the transmitter in the opener? We've been trying to
find dip switches. Where do you buy a transmitter?

--
for full context, visit http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...en-570539-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article .com,
Patricia Quiggins m
wrote:

replying to Art Todesco, Patricia Quiggins wrote:
Just exactly where is the transmitter in the opener? We've been trying to
find dip switches. Where do you buy a transmitter?

I consider the remote control to be a "transmitter". Some openers may
not have a remote control, but are opened by a wired keypad.

Look for the Sears model number. It consists of two or three digits, a
decimal point, and several more digits. The first group of digits
indicates its actual manufacturer. You can find a cross-reference if
you search the web.

Take the Sears model number to the Sears Parts Direct website
http://www.searspartsdirect.com/. With any luck, there will be a
parts list that includes the keypad or dip switches you need.

If yours is not a Sears opener, that website may still have parts for it.

Fred

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/24/2016 10:36 PM, Fred McKenzie wrote:
In article .com,
Patricia Quiggins m
wrote:

replying to Art Todesco, Patricia Quiggins wrote:
Just exactly where is the transmitter in the opener? We've been trying to
find dip switches. Where do you buy a transmitter?

I consider the remote control to be a "transmitter". Some openers may
not have a remote control, but are opened by a wired keypad.

Look for the Sears model number. It consists of two or three digits, a
decimal point, and several more digits. The first group of digits
indicates its actual manufacturer. You can find a cross-reference if
you search the web.

Take the Sears model number to the Sears Parts Direct website
http://www.searspartsdirect.com/. With any luck, there will be a
parts list that includes the keypad or dip switches you need.

If yours is not a Sears opener, that website may still have parts for it.

Fred

I'm the OP and did that some 10 or 12 years ago and I sold the house.
We had a lightning hit close by and it took out the radio receiver on
the garage door. I ended up replacing the radio and the 2 transmitters
with a digital code unit from Granger, I think. That lightning hit also
took out the computer mobo, scanner, cable modem, 1 X10 module but
didn't touch things like the wired garage door keypad or TV/stereo.