Notepad1800

Default Dishwasher Leak

I have a Maytag DWU dishwasher (don't have the model # with me) which has
developed a leak in the door. Not substantial, but maybe a half cup of
water will drip onto the top of the access panel during the wash cycle.

I opened the plastic panel covering the inside of the door and noticed that
there was a sticky detergent-like residue that appeared to be leaking down
the inside of the door from the rinse aid dispenser. I never use the rinse
aid dispenser, have never even opened it until now, although previous
owners of the house or our visitors may have dumped detergent in there.

I don't see any obvious way that detergent could be getting in there,
however -- the rinse aid dispenser is not below the detergent dispenser,
and of course whatever is put in the rinse aid dispenser isn't supposed to
go inside the door.

Still, this leads me to think there is some kind of leak through the rinse
aid dispenser during the wash cycle. Seals look OK, the tub isn't filling
too much, the dishwasher is level, there don't appear to be any breaks in
the spray arms.

I can't see any signs of a gasket or seal being missing -- is there
supposed to be one?

Since I never use rinse aid, is there a way I can block up the dispenser
for good?
Peter H

Notepad1800 wrote:

[...]

I had the same problem with a machine. It wasn't a Maytag, but I believe
that it was made by the same manufacturer.

If you have a little boot that flips over the soap dispenser to hold the
lid shut check the rubber gasket surrounding it... my guess is that it's
shot.

The whole soap dispensing unit is sold as a single part and can be replaced.

Peter H
Patrick Parrish

"Peter H" wrote in message
Notepad1800 wrote:

[...]

I wholeheartedly agree -- definitely check out the detergent door latch
gasket.
Very common failure on Maytag dishwashers, can be purchased separately VERY
cheap,
easy to replace.

jeff

Notepad1800 wrote in message ...

Hi,

I have a Maytag DWU dishwasher (don't have the model # with me) which has
developed a leak in the door. Not substantial, but maybe a half cup of
water will drip onto the top of the access panel during the wash cycle.

Maytag dishwasher leak - On the plastic liner Maytag dishwashers a
common problem area has been the small gasket on the soap door latch.
This gasket wears out and leaks water between the inner and outer
panels and onto the floor. A grommet and latch kit can be purchased to
correct this type of leak.
http://www.repairclinic.com/referral.asp?R=153&N=1268
Soap cup door latch and gasket kit

[...]

http://www.applianceaid.com/newpics/grommetkit.JPG
See above.

Since I never use rinse aid, is there a way I can block up the dispenser
for good?

Probably, but usually as long as the nut is in place the dispensor
body will not give you any problems, but to prevent anybody from using
it....add a drop of glue to the removable knob and twist it back into
place.

jeff.
Appliance Repair Aid
http://www.applianceaid.com/
Phisherman

On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 11:09:54 -0600, Notepad1800
wrote:

[...]

Not sure if this will help. I took mine apart and cleaned out all the
dried crud (prolly dried soap). Apparently, this buildup was Cascade
(I don't use the rinse stuff) but now I use Electrosol w/ power ball
tablet and there is no leaks nor buildup. Make sure your seal is very
clean--use a cleaning mix of hot water and vinegar.