Matt Mika

Default Drilling a sink?

I have a porcelin/metal sink that I'd like to put an extra hole in for
a R/O water dispenser. Can these things be drilled? Or do I need to
get a new sink?

Thanks,
Matt Mika
Rich

"Matt Mika" rotaour@dimcomDEEOOHTEEnet wrote in message
I have a porcelin/metal sink that I'd like to put an extra hole in for
a R/O water dispenser. Can these things be drilled? Or do I need to
get a new sink?

Thanks,
Matt Mika

They can be drilled but it takes some work. Mark the final hole size in
marker then drill a small pilot hole with a carbide drill through the enamel
and the cast iron. Then use a small pointed punch and working from the hole
you just drilled chip out the enamel to the hole size just chipping the
enamel away then when its just cast iron showing to the desired size either
use a hole saw to get a nice round hole or drill a series of small holes and
chip out and file the cast iron until the fitting fits through the hole. The
escutionSP around the fitting should cover the flaws of an imperfect hole.

Rich

Joe Bobst

Can these things be drilled?

For perfectly round hole use a diamond hole saw like the ones at Harbor Freight
($7-9). It will be a little tedious, but less chance of damaging the sink. You
may have to prepare a guide for the saw, as some of them do not have pilot
drill. HTH

Joe

No Spam

Matt Mika wrote:
I have a porcelin/metal sink that I'd like to put an extra hole in for
a R/O water dispenser. Can these things be drilled? Or do I need to
get a new sink?

Thanks,
Matt Mika

I did mine by grinding the porcelain off with a Dremel tool, then
drilling the cast iron.

Be sure to grind *ALL* the porcelain off where the hole will go.
I left just a smidgeon and drilling took out a big chip. Luckily
the added faucet (for filtered water) covered it.

- good luck -

Moenstone Sink Mike Home Repair 9 March 6th 05 06:01 AM
Single sink for sale PoP UK diy 0 March 4th 04 04:54 PM
Sink Waste venting problem BillR UK diy 1 September 9th 03 04:16 AM
Kitchen Double Sink Suds Problem Robert Home Repair 3 September 7th 03 01:25 PM