Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
David Combs

Default radio-shacks "new" line of VOMs (meters)

Here's three VOMs (Volt-Ohm Meters, current too) that I just
saw over at Radio Shack.

Seems like a yet another series of VOMs for them -- seem quite different
in "look" from the other ones RS carries -- and didn't see
them there as recently as a month or two ago.

All three look much the same, almost as if (my WAG) they're
identical inside except for some features being disabled
for the cheaper models.

Here they a

#22-812: 46 ranges, $59.95 (temp measurements too)

#22-811: 42 ranges, $59.95 ("measures electric fields")

#22-813: Num-ranges??, $29.95 (also does 9v and AAA batteries).

Anyone know anything about them, eg their accuracy, robustness, etc?

And, are they basically identical, except for maybe the temperature-measuring
and "electric-field testing"?

The cheapest one has the two battery tests; I assume that it puts
them under some kind of load before reading the voltage? If so,
sounds useful -- or am I wrong on that.

Also, re electric-field measurement, isn't that easy to do
with *any* voltmeter, by attaching one lead to a good
ground, and holding the other between wetened fingers (your body
being the antenna)?

In all, any opinions about this "new" radio-shack line of VOMs?

Thanks,

David

Broken Radio JW Electronics Repair 3 May 31st 04 01:05 PM
Improve Sensitivity on Radio Nick Electronics 8 September 2nd 03 12:03 AM