DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Concrete pour - temperature concerns (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/74842-concrete-pour-temperature-concerns.html)

Jonathan Mau October 27th 04 04:25 PM

Concrete pour - temperature concerns

Hi Guys:

I have all my forms and reinforcing materials in place for a garage floor
and a shed foundation. Now I just need to find someone to do the place
and finish. I am having trouble here. I can't see wanting to have a go
at this myself for the $500 it would save, but if I can't find anyone to
do it for me ...

Anyhow the temperatures around here these days are about 45 F daytime high
and 25 night time low. This varies alot as it doesn't freeze every night.
At what point am I beat for this year? I don't think I want to leave
everything as is until the spring as things will probably move over the
winter. I suppose I could buy some straw and insulate after the pour, but
that is more trouble for me and I am allergic to it?

Any advice on my hoped for late season pour?

Thanks

Jonathan

John Hines October 27th 04 05:25 PM

(Jonathan Mau) wrote:

Any advice on my hoped for late season pour?

Concrete generates its own heat, as it cures.

I've seen pours this time of year that were covered in sheet plastic,
and a layer of straw, to cover it for a day or two.

default October 27th 04 05:50 PM

Any advice on my hoped for late season pour?

25 F is fairly low temperatures even for a pour with
antifreeze in it. I think you're probably looking at
heating the garage for a fortnight, if you really want
this done now.

Jonathan Mau October 28th 04 01:48 PM

Jonathan Mau ) writes:
Hi Guys:

I have all my forms and reinforcing materials in place for a garage floor
and a shed foundation. Now I just need to find someone to do the place
and finish. I am having trouble here. I can't see wanting to have a go
at this myself for the $500 it would save, but if I can't find anyone to
do it for me ...

Hello again:

Thanks for the comments guys. I found out why I can't get anyone to do
this job any time soon: Hunting season starts Monday. I am new to rural
living but apparently regular life shuts down for 2 weeks. Looks like I
have 2 or 3 weeks to find some straw to insulate after the pour.

Jonathan