DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Residential power wiring: mounting electrical box outside? (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/73249-re-residential-power-wiring-mounting-electrical-box-outside.html)

Phil Scott October 15th 04 12:04 AM

Residential power wiring: mounting electrical box outside?

"DaveC" wrote in message
al.net...
Need to put an alarm buzzer (outside rated) on an external

stucco wall. The
buzzer has a 3/4 opening on the back of the 4x4 cast housing

for a standard
conduit / flex fitting or strain wire clamp / bushing.

Have outdoor (NEMA 3, I think) 6x6x4 box.

Buzzer needs to face away from stucco wall.

So, how best to mount these? If I use NEMA box, cover is on

face (away from
wall), and I don't think you can mount anything on a cover

(inspector might
not like that : -). Any other surface faces the buzzer in a

direction other
than away from the wall.

If I mount the buzzer directly on the wall, this puts the

3/4 hole against
the wall. Is it acceptable to put conduit or flex through

the wall directly
to the back of the buzzer?

Sure, use urethane roof sealant in a calking tube on the back
of the box and around the wall penetration... use 3 cement
screws to hold the box aganst the wall (drill first) you can
also run romex though the wall into yer box if the building is
not over 3 stories. you dont need conduit in a wall.

Phil Scott

Other orientations?

Suggestions welcome.

Thanks,

DaveC

This is an invalid return address
Please reply in the news group

Richard J Kinch October 15th 04 06:53 AM

DaveC writes:

Other orientations?

Soffit?

Greg October 15th 04 08:10 PM

Is it acceptable to put conduit or flex through the wall directly
to the back of the buzzer?

Sure. As long as it's a weatherproof box, and the buzzer can be removed
from the front to allow access to the splices.

BTW I heard a discussion in an inspector meeting that a normal 3R box outside
an exterior wall was a wet location and you couldn't run Romex into it.
It was far from a unanimous opinion but inspectors can be quirky guys so don't
be surprised if you hear this again.

Vote me for "this is BS".