Blue

Default Want a better flusher

My American Standard Cadet just plugs up too often and I want a better
flusher. Can anyone suggest a particular make and model as a replacement?

Joseph Meehan

Blue wrote:
My American Standard Cadet just plugs up too often and I want a better
flusher. Can anyone suggest a particular make and model as a replacement?

Well I don't believe all American Standard Cadets were made equal. They
may all be the same now however, I'm not sure. You want a large trap size
(like 2.0" or larger) and fully glazed (I think they all have been fully
glazed)

Had it always had the problem or is it recent?

Do you know to hold down the handle for an extra power flush?

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Michael Baugh

Start out with the question of whether anyone
is using some of the 'disinfectant' in it.

In spite of me reminding folks on the internet, I
seem to have failed to mention it to my wife. So
about a year ago, my Cadet seemed to be getting
sluggish. Found the reason in the tank. Somebody
had given her a package when they were moving, she
dropped one in, and a couple of days later I was
fussing about it.

Blue wrote in message ...
My American Standard Cadet just plugs up too often and I want a better
flusher. Can anyone suggest a particular make and model as a replacement?

Blue

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message
.. .
Blue wrote:
My American Standard Cadet just plugs up too often and I want a better
flusher. Can anyone suggest a particular make and model as a
replacement?

Well I don't believe all American Standard Cadets were made equal.
They may all be the same now however, I'm not sure. You want a large trap
size

Interesting. I have two Cadets. One works just OK so I bought a second.
The second is like a different toilet and has been trouble from the getgo
with mechanical problems and with a much smaller pool diameter making for
more cleanup problems. That one is the one I want to replace.

As for trap size (diameter and glazing?) , is that information given on the
Home depot display? Where is it given at all?
(like 2.0" or larger) and fully glazed (I think they all have been fully
glazed)

Had it always had the problem or is it recent?

Do you know to hold down the handle for an extra power flush?

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Charles Spitzer

"Blue" wrote in message ...
Have no idea what you are referring to .
Disinfectant?

blue or white tablets that contain chlorine in some form.

Blue wrote in message
My American Standard Cadet just plugs up too often and I want a better
flusher. Can anyone suggest a particular make and model as a
replacement?

Michael Baugh

They can cause "bluegoo" which tends to modify the
fluid dynamics. http://www.toiletology.com/blue-goo.shtml
Considerably slowing a flush, and voiding
warrantees on commode parts. I suggest the free class in
toiletology, at http://www.toiletology.com/index.shtml

Blue wrote in message
My American Standard Cadet just plugs up too often and I want a better
flusher. Can anyone suggest a particular make and model as a
replacement?

Clark Griswold

"Blue" wrote in message ...
My American Standard Cadet just plugs up too often and I want a better
flusher. Can anyone suggest a particular make and model as a replacement?

Check out this web site: http://www.totousa.com/toto/totohome.asp . A friend
just installed one and he is raving about. He said "I will never sit on an
American Standard again". It's not available in the box stores, but is from
plumbing supply houses or online.

Joseph Meehan

Blue wrote:
My American Standard Cadet just plugs up too often and I want a better
flusher. Can anyone suggest a particular make and model as a
replacement?

Well I don't believe all American Standard Cadets were made equal.
They may all be the same now however, I'm not sure. You want a large
trap
size

Interesting. I have two Cadets. One works just OK so I bought a second.
The second is like a different toilet and has been trouble from the getgo
with mechanical problems and with a much smaller pool diameter making for
more cleanup problems. That one is the one I want to replace.

I hope this is not another example of corporate America giving up on
quality and milking a good product for all it is worth by using its name for
second rate junk.

As for trap size (diameter and glazing?) , is that information given on
the
Home depot display? Where is it given at all?

Sometimes. It depends on where you go. It should be on the box and the
dealer should be able to give it to you. It is available on their (AS) web
site along with the specific model number.

(like 2.0" or larger) and fully glazed (I think they all have been fully
glazed)

Had it always had the problem or is it recent?

Do you know to hold down the handle for an extra power flush?

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Joseph Meehan

Charles Spitzer wrote:
"Blue" wrote in message
Have no idea what you are referring to .
Disinfectant?

blue or white tablets that contain chlorine in some form.

Yea, that stuff can cause problems.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

John

Clark Griswold wrote:
"Blue" wrote in message ...

My American Standard Cadet just plugs up too often and I want a better
flusher. Can anyone suggest a particular make and model as a replacement?

I bought an American Standard champion and never had a clog. One of the
things it can do is flush a bunch of golfballs. I forget the # but i
think its like 20something with one flush.

Banty

In article , Joseph Meehan says...

Blue wrote:
My American Standard Cadet just plugs up too often and I want a better
flusher. Can anyone suggest a particular make and model as a replacement?

Well I don't believe all American Standard Cadets were made equal. They
may all be the same now however, I'm not sure. You want a large trap size
(like 2.0" or larger) and fully glazed (I think they all have been fully
glazed)

We have this problem in my family, and 2.0 inches seems, well, not to quite
capture the higher end of the distribution of human needs, if ya know what I
mean :-)

Why isn't it larger??

Banty

Joe Fabeitz

You may want to try replacing the flush valve first. I think these have a
flush valve that is designed to close before most of the water has left the
tank. Check to see if it has a hole on the side of the flapper that is
hidden when the valve is closed.
I changed mine to a standard one (no hole) and it fixed the problem.

Of course, a change in diet may also help ;-)
"Blue" wrote in message ...
My American Standard Cadet just plugs up too often and I want a better
flusher. Can anyone suggest a particular make and model as a replacement?

royroy

On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 12:18:37 -0700, "Blue" wrote:

My American Standard Cadet just plugs up too often and I want a better
flusher. Can anyone suggest a particular make and model as a replacement?

Something he
Toiletology 101
http://www.toiletology.com/index.shtml
or he
Terry Love's consumer toilet reports
A report on low flow water efficient toilets
http://www.terrylove.com/crtoilet.htm

might be helpful.
I went with Toto. Have never regretted it

Information Courtesy of
Roy-Roy
National/International News Guy
www.virginianewssource.com

Joseph Meehan

Joe Fabeitz wrote:
Joseph Meehan, you might need this:
http://www.cafepress.com/cp/browse/?... oom=yes#zoom

I like it. However my car-local authorities, do not allow holders. I
do have a bumper sticker however.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Blue

Thanks for the terrylove link, just what I'm looking for!

"royroy" wrote in message
On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 12:18:37 -0700, "Blue" wrote:

My American Standard Cadet just plugs up too often and I want a better
flusher. Can anyone suggest a particular make and model as a replacement?

Something he
Toiletology 101
http://www.toiletology.com/index.shtml
or he
Terry Love's consumer toilet reports
A report on low flow water efficient toilets
http://www.terrylove.com/crtoilet.htm

might be helpful.
I went with Toto. Have never regretted it

Information Courtesy of
Roy-Roy
National/International News Guy
www.virginianewssource.com

News==----
http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 100,000
Newsgroups

Tom Miller

On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 01:40:48 -0500, John
wrote:

| Clark Griswold wrote:
| "Blue" wrote in message ...
|
| My American Standard Cadet just plugs up too often and I want a better
| flusher. Can anyone suggest a particular make and model as a replacement?
|

| I bought an American Standard champion and never had a clog. One of the
| things it can do is flush a bunch of golfballs. I forget the # but i
| think its like 20something with one flush.

Must of hurt like a mother, though, ****ting those golfballs!

Joseph Meehan

wrote:

Clark Griswold wrote:
"Blue" wrote in message
My American Standard Cadet just plugs up too often and I want a
better
flusher. Can anyone suggest a particular make and model as a
replacement?

I bought an American Standard champion and never had a clog. One of the
things it can do is flush a bunch of golfballs. I forget the # but i
think its like 20something with one flush.

I saw a display for one today at the DIY with the basket of golf balls.
BTW the specs listed were fully glazed 2 1/8" trap.

Must of hurt like a mother, though, ****ting those golfballs!

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Joseph Meehan

Blue wrote:

As for trap size (diameter and glazing?) , is that information given on
the
Home depot display? Where is it given at all?
(like 2.0" or larger) and fully glazed (I think they all have been fully
glazed)

I was in a Lowes today and they listed fully glazed and trap size on
about half the models. I would guess that many of those not listed fall in
the 1 3/4" size range, but I have no easy of of knowing without going to the
manufacturers web site or check with the salesperson who may not know
themselves.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

do_not_spam_me

"Blue" wrote in message ...

My American Standard Cadet just plugs up too often and I want a better
flusher. Can anyone suggest a particular make and model as a replacement?

Consumer Reports last tested toilets in Oct. 2002, and I have a couple
of the Gerber Ultra Flush toilets that ranked high (ranked highest in
their 2 earlier evaluations) and perform every well. Local plumbers
are known to choose this model when they're required to guarantee the
flushing performance. However for my next purchase I may instead get
a Briggs Vacuity (ranked #1 below) because it uses ordinary parts for
the flush valve that can be bought anywhere, rather than pressure
valve parts.

Below are listed only the higher-ranked toilets. Generally, the
vacuum or pressure operated toilets performed better, and all of the
lower ranked models were gravity-operated.

5 = best, 1 = worst

A = solid waste flushing
B = bowl wash-down
C = movement of solid waste through drain
D = elimination of liquid waste
E = noise

A B C D E

Briggs Vacuity 4200 4 5 5 5 4 $190, vacuum

American Standard 4 4 5 5 3 $450, pressure
Cadet PA 2333.100

Gerber Ultra Flush 21-302 5 4 5 5 3 $280, pressure

Crane Vacuum Induced 4 5 5 4 4 $250, vacuum
Power Flush VIP-3999

Gerber Ultra Flush 21-312 5 4 5 5 3 $300, pressure

Kohler San Raphael Power 5 4 4 5 3 $600, pressure
Lite K-3398

Crane Economiser 3834 4 4 3 5 3 $200, pressure

Mansfield Quantum 150-100 4 3 5 5 2 $230, pressure

Toto Carlyie MS874114SG, 4 3 4 5 4 $460, gravity
MS874114S

Kohler Wellworth 3422, 4 3 5 5 5 $150, gravity
3438, 3448, 3479, 3480

American Standard Cadet 3 4 4 5 4 $170, gravity
2798.012, 2319.015,
2321.018

Eljer Aqua Saver 091-7025 4 2 4 5 2 $420, pressure

Kohler Wellworth K-3423, 3 3 4 5 4 $120, gravity
3449, 3480, 3433

Eljer Canterbury 081-1625 3 3 4 4 5 $505, gravity

Eljer Patriot 091-2125, 4 3 5 1 4 $185, gravity
091-2195, 091-2135,
091-2155, 091-0225,
091-0228, 091-0227,
091-0245. Preserver II
091-4835, 091-2136

Eljer Patriot 091-2175 3 2 5 3 4 $285, gravity
17", Laguna 17" ER
091-3385

Joseph Meehan

Michael Baugh wrote:
I think that golf ball demo thing was for one of their
other units. The Champion. (2 3/8 trapway, 3" flush opening).

Joseph Meehan wrote in message
I saw a display for one today at the DIY with the basket of golf
balls.
BTW the specs listed were fully glazed 2 1/8" trap.

It may have been 2 3/8" I am not at all sure what model.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math