Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default water proofing the corners of formica over particle board

My house was built when formica counters were't rolled at corners but
there were saparate pieces on tops and sides.

The bathroom counter got wet and I didn't dry it for 10 or 15 minuters
and even then I might not have done a perfect job, and it swelled.

But only a little, and it seems to have gone back** so close to the
original size I can barely notice.

I need to waterproof the corner edge.

What should I use????

**Unlike my kitchen counter. I had a plastic bottle of distilled water
on the cement basement floor for months, without its leaking at all.

When my friend who only drinks distilled water was about to arrive, I
put the bottle on the kitchen counter and the next morning the counter
had a puddle on it and the particle board inside had started to swell.
It got worse in the next day, both vertically and horizontally, and
never shrank again, afaict not at all.

That had to be replaced, but the bathroom counter, well, maybe I could
tell if I looked at, but I'd rather not look and imagine that it's
perfect again. :-)