Posted to alt.home.repair

Default What sort of internet download speeds are you guys getting

(out of interest)

I assume those a long way from main towns get low speeds like some of us
here.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, January 10, 2021 at 8:50:59 AM UTC-5, Bod wrote:
(out of interest)

I assume those a long way from main towns get low speeds like some of us
here.

Looks like we're getting 305 Mbit/s, according to the speed test on my
husband's PC. This PC has a 100 Mbit/s Ethernet card, so that's all
I'm getting here.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/01/2021 14:12, wrote:
On Sunday, January 10, 2021 at 8:50:59 AM UTC-5, Bod wrote:
(out of interest)

I assume those a long way from main towns get low speeds like some of us
here.

Looks like we're getting 305 Mbit/s, according to the speed test on my
husband's PC. This PC has a 100 Mbit/s Ethernet card, so that's all
I'm getting here.

Cindy Hamilton

Nice speed on your hubby's PC. Mine is 55Mbs down...12 up.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/10/2021 8:50 AM, Bod wrote:
(out of interest)

I assume those a long way from main towns get low speeds like some of us
here.

Where I lived in CT I got 18 mbs through the phone company. Here in FL I
get 300 mbs average but at less buy times I've tested at 380. That is
with the cable company and all new wiring in the area.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/01/2021 15:13, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 1/10/2021 8:50 AM, Bod wrote:
(out of interest)

I assume those a long way from main towns get low speeds like some of
us here.

Where I lived in CT I got 18 mbs through the phone company. Here in FL I
get 300 mbs average but at less buy times I've tested at 380.Â* That is
with the cable company and all new wiring in the area.

Nice one. I can only dream of that sort of speed at the moment, but my
speed is at least sufficient to receive UHD in good quality etc, so no
real complaints.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 10 Jan 2021 14:49:54 +0000, Bod wrote:

On 10/01/2021 14:12, wrote:
On Sunday, January 10, 2021 at 8:50:59 AM UTC-5, Bod wrote:
(out of interest)

I assume those a long way from main towns get low speeds like some of us
here.

Looks like we're getting 305 Mbit/s, according to the speed test on my
husband's PC. This PC has a 100 Mbit/s Ethernet card, so that's all
I'm getting here.

Cindy Hamilton

Nice speed on your hubby's PC. Mine is 55Mbs down...12 up.

40 down / 40 up ...
... over home wifi , fiber fed ; 12 year old laptop and router.

https://www.sasktel.com/personal/int...est/speed-test

John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
says...

40 down / 40 up ...
.. over home wifi , fiber fed ; 12 year old laptop and router.

https://www.sasktel.com/personal/int...est/speed-test

I got 235 down and 11 up going to that link . I am rated for 200 and 10
by the cable company.

My over 10 year old computer is connected through about 3 feet of wire
to the modem/router. I have noticed that on my laptop and another
computer that is wireless to the router I get around 50 for the down and
11 for the up . The laptop is only around 2 years old.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/10/2021 10:40 AM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
In article ,
says...

40 down / 40 up ...
.. over home wifi , fiber fed ; 12 year old laptop and router.

https://www.sasktel.com/personal/int...est/speed-test

I got 235 down and 11 up going to that link . I am rated for 200 and 10
by the cable company.

My over 10 year old computer is connected through about 3 feet of wire
to the modem/router. I have noticed that on my laptop and another
computer that is wireless to the router I get around 50 for the down and
11 for the up . The laptop is only around 2 years old.

Just measured 720 down and 40 up using Ethernet connection to desk top.
WiFi might be a third that.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/01/2021 15:40, Ralph Mowery wrote:
In article ,
says...

40 down / 40 up ...
.. over home wifi , fiber fed ; 12 year old laptop and router.

https://www.sasktel.com/personal/int...est/speed-test

I got 235 down and 11 up going to that link . I am rated for 200 and 10
by the cable company.

My over 10 year old computer is connected through about 3 feet of wire
to the modem/router. I have noticed that on my laptop and another
computer that is wireless to the router I get around 50 for the down and
11 for the up . The laptop is only around 2 years old.

235 down is excellent.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/01/2021 15:48, Frank wrote:
On 1/10/2021 10:40 AM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
In article ,
says...

40 downÂ* /Â* 40Â* upÂ*Â*Â* ...
..Â* over home wifi ,Â* fiber fed ;Â* 12 year old laptop and router.

https://www.sasktel.com/personal/int...est/speed-test

I got 235 down and 11 up going to that link .Â* I am rated for 200 and 10
by the cable company.

My over 10 year old computer is connected through about 3 feet of wire
to the modem/router.Â* I have noticed that on my laptop and another
computer that is wireless to the router I get around 50 for the down and
11 for the up .Â* The laptop is only around 2 years old.

Just measured 720 down and 40 up using Ethernet connection to desk top.
Â*WiFi might be a third that.

One word.....WOW!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 10 Jan 2021 10:48:56 -0500, Frank "frank wrote:

On 1/10/2021 10:40 AM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
In article ,
says...

40 down / 40 up ...
.. over home wifi , fiber fed ; 12 year old laptop and router.

https://www.sasktel.com/personal/int...est/speed-test

I got 235 down and 11 up going to that link . I am rated for 200 and 10
by the cable company.

My over 10 year old computer is connected through about 3 feet of wire
to the modem/router. I have noticed that on my laptop and another
computer that is wireless to the router I get around 50 for the down and
11 for the up . The laptop is only around 2 years old.

Just measured 720 down and 40 up using Ethernet connection to desk top.
WiFi might be a third that.

I just tried the ethernet cable directly to my laptop -
51 down / 51 up ... I expected more improvement -
but I don't have any knowledge of all the technology ..
We can usually stream and zoom over the wifi with few problems
so I'm happy. Last week's return to home-schooling caused
significant widespread slow-downs on day-1.
John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/01/2021 16:07, wrote:
[...]

Ahh! found an interesting link about this topic:

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.ph...and-speed.html

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/01/2021 16:20, Bod wrote:
On 10/01/2021 16:07, wrote:
On Sun, 10 Jan 2021 10:48:56 -0500, Frank "frank wrote:

On 1/10/2021 10:40 AM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
In article ,
says...

40 downÂ* /Â* 40Â* upÂ*Â*Â* ...
..Â* over home wifi ,Â* fiber fed ;Â* 12 year old laptop and router.

https://www.sasktel.com/personal/int...est/speed-test

I got 235 down and 11 up going to that link .Â* I am rated for 200
and 10
by the cable company.

My over 10 year old computer is connected through about 3 feet of wire
to the modem/router.Â* I have noticed that on my laptop and another
computer that is wireless to the router I get around 50 for the down
and
11 for the up .Â* The laptop is only around 2 years old.

Just measured 720 down and 40 up using Ethernet connection to desk top.
Â* WiFi might be a third that.

I just tried the ethernet cable directly to my laptopÂ* -
Â*Â*Â* 51 downÂ* /Â* 51 upÂ* ...Â* I expected more improvement -
Â* but I don't have any knowledge of all the technology ..
We can usually stream and zoom over the wifi with few problems
so I'm happy.Â* Last week's return to home-schooling caused
significant widespread slow-downs onÂ* day-1.
Â*Â*Â* John T.

Ahh! found an interesting link about this topic:

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.ph...and-speed.html

This Wiki link largely agrees with my first link stats:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...nection_speeds
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/10/2021 11:07 AM, wrote:
[...]

Guess it depends on distance from the modem. My laptop and desk top are
on the first floor catercorner from the modem and the two thirds drop
are what I recall from the past. I have an Ethernet cable now split to
both. I was lucky to have had a consulting client that insisted on the
cable as he did not want WiFi used when I accessed his site with his
computer and he paid for the install. We also have Comcast's top tier
internet and I'm probably spoiled with it but even some days there may
be a noticeable slowdown.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bod" wrote in message
(out of interest)

I can have 1000Gb if I choose to pay
for that but choose to pay for 50Gb

I assume those a long way from main towns get low speeds like some of us
here.

Not here.

Posted to alt.home.repair

John addressing the senile Australian pest:
"You are a complete idiot. But you make me larf. LOL"
MID:
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Frank" "frank wrote in message
On 1/10/2021 11:07 AM, wrote:
[...]

Nope, on the number of others on that
channel and the wifi technology used.

My laptop and desk top are on the first floor catercorner from the modem
and the two thirds drop are what I recall from the past. I have an
Ethernet cable now split to both. I was lucky to have had a consulting
client that insisted on the cable as he did not want WiFi used when I
accessed his site with his computer and he paid for the install. We also
have Comcast's top tier internet and I'm probably spoiled with it but even
some days there may be a noticeable slowdown.

That last is seen when the service outside the house
is over cable, but not with fibre unless they dont have
enough bandwidth on the fibre.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Who or What is Rod Speed?

man" on the InterNet."
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 10 Jan 2021 10:40:00 -0500, Ralph Mowery
wrote:

In article ,
says...

40 down / 40 up ...
.. over home wifi , fiber fed ; 12 year old laptop and router.

https://www.sasktel.com/personal/int...est/speed-test

I got 235 down and 11 up going to that link . I am rated for 200 and 10
by the cable company.

My over 10 year old computer is connected through about 3 feet of wire
to the modem/router. I have noticed that on my laptop and another
computer that is wireless to the router I get around 50 for the down and
11 for the up . The laptop is only around 2 years old.

Your WiFi sounds like it's using the 2.4GHz band. If you switch to the 5GHz
band you'll likely see the same 235/11 that you see on the wired computer.

I made that exact change on my wife's laptop last year and she's happy with
the extra speed. I used a $10 tp-link WiFi adapter that's about the size of
a thumb nail, plugged into a USB port.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/10/2021 12:20 PM, Fred wrote:

"Bod" wrote in message
(out of interest)

I can have 1000Gb if I choose to pay
for that but choose to pay for 50Gb

The price difference does not usually justify the speed once you pass a
certain point. Sending an email will take .01 seconds instead of .001.
For most of us the difference is negligible for everyday use.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 10 Jan 2021 13:50:49 +0000, Bod wrote:

(out of interest)

I assume those a long way from main towns get low speeds like some of us
here.

I get 390/390 symmetrical for $60/month. Used to be $40 a month but I lost
the $20 bundle discount when I dropped the TV service. (Streaming is the
way to go these days.) For an extra $20/month I could get 940/940 but I
don't really need that much speed.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bod" wrote in message
(out of interest)

I can have 1000Gb if I choose to pay
for that but choose to pay for 50Gb

Fred's Gb's are almost certainly Mb's. Nowhere on the planet is anyone
selling 1000Gb service.

The price difference does not usually justify the speed once you pass a
certain point. Sending an email will take .01 seconds instead of .001.
For most of us the difference is negligible for everyday use.

Agreed.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

In article ,
says...

40 down / 40 up ...
.. over home wifi , fiber fed ; 12 year old laptop and router.

https://www.sasktel.com/personal/int...est/speed-test

I got 235 down and 11 up going to that link . I am rated for 200 and 10
by the cable company.

My over 10 year old computer is connected through about 3 feet of wire
to the modem/router. I have noticed that on my laptop and another
computer that is wireless to the router I get around 50 for the down and
11 for the up . The laptop is only around 2 years old.

Your WiFi sounds like it's using the 2.4GHz band. If you switch to the
5GHz
band you'll likely see the same 235/11 that you see on the wired computer.

Not always, plenty of modems cant do the higher speeds on wifi.

I made that exact change on my wife's laptop last year and she's
happy with the extra speed. I used a $10 tp-link WiFi adapter
that's about the size of a thumb nail, plugged into a USB port.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bod" wrote in message
(out of interest)

I can have 1000Gb if I choose to pay
for that but choose to pay for 50Gb

The price difference does not usually justify the speed once you pass a
certain point. Sending an email will take .01 seconds instead of .001.
For most of us the difference is negligible for everyday use.

It isnt the speed of sending email that matters, its uploading
videos, backups to the cloud etc that matters speed wise.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bod" wrote in message
(out of interest)

I can have 1000Gb if I choose to pay
for that but choose to pay for 50Gb

The price difference does not usually justify the speed once you pass
a certain point.Â* Sending an email will take .01 seconds instead of
.001. For most of us the difference is negligible for everyday use.

It isnt the speed of sending email that matters, its uploading
videos, backups to the cloud etc that matters speed wise.

Upload speeds are always slower. Just click "send" and go to bed. We
did that in the old days downloading a file with a 1200 baud modem. For
most of us, that is done once a week or so, not five times a day. Is it
worth an extra $25 to $75 a month for it?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 11 Jan 2021 06:47:56 +1100, Fred, better known as cantankerous

cretin's pathological trolling:

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 11 Jan 2021 06:49:47 +1100, Fred, better known as cantankerous

Bod addressing abnormal senile quarreller Rot:
"Do you practice arguing with yourself in an empty room?"
MID:
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bod" wrote in message
(out of interest)

I can have 1000Gb if I choose to pay
for that but choose to pay for 50Gb

The price difference does not usually justify the speed once you pass a
certain point. Sending an email will take .01 seconds instead of .001.
For most of us the difference is negligible for everyday use.

It isnt the speed of sending email that matters, its uploading
videos, backups to the cloud etc that matters speed wise.

Upload speeds are always slower.

Not always, some do offer a symmetrical service.

Just click "send" and go to bed.

No thanks, quite a bit of the time when uploading
videos I want it done quickly because I am
discussing the video with someone.

We did that in the old days downloading a file with a 1200 baud modem.

But you werent uploading videos then. Or having
the system automatically backup to the cloud either.

For most of us, that is done once a week or so, not five times a day.

Its different now with automatic backups of new
photos and videos and when discussing a video.

Is it worth an extra $25 to $75 a month for it?

It only costs me $20 a month more for 50/20 instead of
25/5 and I actually got 100/50 for a little less than the adsl2+
which only did 10/1 which was hopeless for video uploads.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
On Mon, 11 Jan 2021 06:47:56 +1100, "Fred" wrote:

. ..
wrote:

[...]

I just tried adjusting my laptop wifi settings in Device Mgr -
no improvement at all.

You need to change the channel used and that
isnt usually done in the device manager.

Also logged into the router and couldn't even
find any speed settings in their menus ..

You need to change the channel used, not the speed settings.

dunno.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 11 Jan 2021 06:47:56 +1100, "Fred" wrote:

.. .
wrote:

[...]

no improvement at all. Also logged into the router and couldn't
even find any speed settings in their menus .. dunno.
John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 01/10/2021 01:04 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
Upload speeds are always slower. Just click "send" and go to bed. We
did that in the old days downloading a file with a 1200 baud modem. For
most of us, that is done once a week or so, not five times a day. Is it
worth an extra $25 to $75 a month for it?

I forget all the details but the team doing the computer animations for
the movie Tron were not in LA. It would take all night to upload a
ridiculously short sequence.

I was still on dialup when I downloaded the shop manual for my 2007
Yaris via bittorrent. It took all weekend.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Your WiFi sounds like it's using the 2.4GHz band. If you switch to the
5GHz
band you'll likely see the same 235/11 that you see on the wired
computer.

Not always, plenty of modems cant do the higher speeds on wifi.

I made that exact change on my wife's laptop last year and she's
happy with the extra speed. I used a $10 tp-link WiFi adapter
that's about the size of a thumb nail, plugged into a USB port.

I just tried adjusting my laptop wifi settings in Device Mgr -
no improvement at all.

You need to change the channel used and that
isnt usually done in the device manager.

Also logged into the router and couldn't even
find any speed settings in their menus ..

You need to change the channel used, not the speed settings.

My router channel selections are Auto, 1, 2, 3, 4, .. 11.
No mention of ghz ..
The laptop Wifi has 802.11n channel width selections
for band 2.4 and band 5.2
John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"rbowman" wrote in message
On 01/10/2021 01:04 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
Upload speeds are always slower. Just click "send" and go to bed. We
did that in the old days downloading a file with a 1200 baud modem. For
most of us, that is done once a week or so, not five times a day. Is it
worth an extra $25 to $75 a month for it?

I forget all the details but the team doing the computer animations for
the movie Tron were not in LA. It would take all night to upload a
ridiculously short sequence.

I was still on dialup when I downloaded the shop manual for my 2007 Yaris
via bittorrent. It took all weekend.

Torrents are different, they dont do what the physical link can do.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message

Your WiFi sounds like it's using the 2.4GHz band. If you switch to the
5GHz
band you'll likely see the same 235/11 that you see on the wired
computer.

Not always, plenty of modems cant do the higher speeds on wifi.

I made that exact change on my wife's laptop last year and she's
happy with the extra speed. I used a $10 tp-link WiFi adapter
that's about the size of a thumb nail, plugged into a USB port.

I just tried adjusting my laptop wifi settings in Device Mgr -
no improvement at all.

You need to change the channel used and that
isnt usually done in the device manager.

Also logged into the router and couldn't even
find any speed settings in their menus ..

You need to change the channel used, not the speed settings.

My router channel selections are Auto, 1, 2, 3, 4, .. 11.

And that's what you should be changing to see if
you can get a better thruput with a less busy channel.

No mention of ghz ..

You only get that when the router can do more than one band.

The laptop Wifi has 802.11n channel width
selections for band 2.4 and band 5.2

Those are the ghz. That's the band frequency, not the thruput speed.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default lowbrowwoman, the Endlessly Driveling Senile Gossip

On Sun, 10 Jan 2021 14:00:31 -0700, lowbrowwoman, the endlessly driveling,

I forget all the details but the team doing the computer animations for
the movie Tron were not in LA. It would take all night to upload a
ridiculously short sequence.

I was still on dialup when I downloaded the shop manual for my 2007
Yaris via bittorrent. It took all weekend.

Oh, NO! Not yet more senile BULL****! Just what the **** is WRONG with all
you aging Yankietards?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 11 Jan 2021 07:43:17 +1100, Fred, better known as cantankerous