DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Wind chimes (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/681274-wind-chimes.html)

Thomas October 25th 20 12:45 AM

Wind chimes

Any suggestions? Back porch 20 inch or so?
I am looking.

Ed Pawlowski[_3_] October 25th 20 01:30 AM

Wind chimes

On 10/24/2020 7:45 PM, Thomas wrote:
Any suggestions? Back porch 20 inch or so?
I am looking.

Shame you are so far away. I have an awesome set in the garage I'd give
you. I brought from the old house. Deep rich tones, like a church
bell. Just not a good spot for them here. Bought them from a local
garden shop in CT.

Try some of the garden shops and you can at least hear them before you buy.

RosemontCrest[_4_] October 25th 20 06:27 AM

Wind chimes

On 10/24/2020 4:45 PM, Thomas wrote:
Any suggestions? Back porch 20 inch or so?
I am looking.

Unlike the clangy, tinkle of metal wind chimes, I enjoy the low, mellow
tones of bamboo wind chimes. Here's a few examples:

https://www.weathershack.com/listing...9a58323a029408

Dean Hoffman[_17_] October 25th 20 10:19 AM

Wind chimes

On 10/24/20 6:45 PM, Thomas wrote:
Any suggestions? Back porch 20 inch or so?
I am looking.

This site lets you listen to a possibilities.
https://www.chimes.com/collections/windchimes
I don't know if it lets you group your top ten to test them one
right after another.

[email protected] October 25th 20 11:24 AM

Wind chimes

On Saturday, October 24, 2020 at 7:45:47 PM UTC-4, Thomas wrote:
Any suggestions? Back porch 20 inch or so?
I am looking.

Give your neighbors a break, and just don't.

Cindy Hamiltonb

RosemontCrest[_4_] October 25th 20 02:25 PM

Wind chimes

On 10/25/2020 4:24 AM, wrote:
On Saturday, October 24, 2020 at 7:45:47 PM UTC-4, Thomas wrote:
Any suggestions? Back porch 20 inch or so?
I am looking.

Give your neighbors a break, and just don't.

What neighbors, and how close are they?

[email protected] October 25th 20 03:56 PM

Wind chimes

On Sun, 25 Oct 2020 05:19:05 -0500, Dean Hoffman
wrote:

On 10/24/20 6:45 PM, Thomas wrote:
Any suggestions? Back porch 20 inch or so?
I am looking.

This site lets you listen to a possibilities.
https://www.chimes.com/collections/windchimes
I don't know if it lets you group your top ten to test them one
right after another.

If you have a few hours to kill, Google "make your own wind chimes"
and see hundreds of ideas, mostly using stuff you have, can get cheap
or even find in a construction dumpster.
Bothering the neighbors might be an issue but this isn't a barking dog
or a Hells Angels club house.

Frank[_24_] October 25th 20 04:07 PM

Wind chimes

On 10/25/2020 10:25 AM, RosemontCrest wrote:
On 10/25/2020 4:24 AM, wrote:
On Saturday, October 24, 2020 at 7:45:47 PM UTC-4, Thomas wrote:
Any suggestions? Back porch 20 inch or so?
I am looking.

Give your neighbors a break, and just don't.

What neighbors, and how close are they?

Her neighbors have these:

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/98657048060370595/

Ed Pawlowski[_3_] October 25th 20 04:21 PM

Wind chimes

On 10/24/2020 9:42 PM, Jim Joyce wrote:
On Sat, 24 Oct 2020 21:30:25 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 10/24/2020 7:45 PM, Thomas wrote:
Any suggestions? Back porch 20 inch or so?
I am looking.

Shame you are so far away. I have an awesome set in the garage I'd give
you. I brought from the old house. Deep rich tones, like a church
bell. Just not a good spot for them here. Bought them from a local
garden shop in CT.

Try some of the garden shops and you can at least hear them before you buy.

Road trip!

Not too far feched. I may be in PA next month.

Bob F October 25th 20 05:29 PM

Wind chimes

wrote:

On 10/24/20 6:45 PM, Thomas wrote:
Any suggestions? Back porch 20 inch or so?
I am looking.

This site lets you listen to a possibilities.
https://www.chimes.com/collections/windchimes
I don't know if it lets you group your top ten to test them one
right after another.

If you have a few hours to kill, Google "make your own wind chimes"
and see hundreds of ideas, mostly using stuff you have, can get cheap
or even find in a construction dumpster.
Bothering the neighbors might be an issue but this isn't a barking dog
or a Hells Angels club house.

It's more in the class of annoying music you don't care for. If you live
hundreds of yards from your neighbor, no big deal. In the city,
listening to even more random unneeded noise may bother people. Wind
chimes make noise whenever the wind blows. Sometimes, people like to
sleep then, or relax in their back yards in silence.

Dan Espen[_3_] October 25th 20 06:05 PM

Wind chimes

Thomas writes:

Any suggestions? Back porch 20 inch or so?
I am looking.

Okay, my 2 cents.

I have a screened porch framed in wood.
We had a bunch of wind chimes out there.
One of them was made of light sheet metal and was hung too close
to the wood framing. Before I noticed, the chime had cut a gouge
in the wood about 1/4 inch deep.

In normal operation it didn't touch anything.
In high wind it did quite a bit of damage.

So, be careful with those things.

Since we installed modern windows I can no longer hear them from inside
with the windows closed.

--
Dan Espen

Jim Joyce October 25th 20 08:06 PM

Wind chimes

On Sun, 25 Oct 2020 04:24:43 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

On Saturday, October 24, 2020 at 7:45:47 PM UTC-4, Thomas wrote:
Any suggestions? Back porch 20 inch or so?
I am looking.

Give your neighbors a break, and just don't.

I like the sound of wind chimes...for about 2-3 seconds.

Hawk October 25th 20 09:10 PM

Wind chimes

On 10/25/2020 7:24 AM, wrote:
On Saturday, October 24, 2020 at 7:45:47 PM UTC-4, Thomas wrote:
Any suggestions? Back porch 20 inch or so?
I am looking.

Give your neighbors a break, and just don't.

Cindy Hamiltonb

How presumptuous of you when he didn't specify proximity. Must be a
democrat thing.

Neill Massello October 25th 20 11:00 PM

Wind chimes

wrote:

On Saturday, October 24, 2020 at 7:45:47 PM UTC-4, Thomas wrote:
Any suggestions? Back porch 20 inch or so?
I am looking.

Give your neighbors a break, and just don't.

I like the sound of wind chimes...for about 2-3 seconds.

Wind chimes are like farts.

Bod[_3_] October 26th 20 06:20 AM

Wind chimes

wrote:

On Saturday, October 24, 2020 at 7:45:47 PM UTC-4, Thomas wrote:
Any suggestions? Back porch 20 inch or so?
I am looking.

Give your neighbors a break, and just don't.

I like the sound of wind chimes...for about 2-3 seconds.

Wind chimes are like farts.

Yes, both are wind powered.