Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Egg Shells Down the Garbage Disposal

OK to put egg shells down the kitchen sink garbage disposal?

--
Just because its a bad idea doesnt mean it wont be a good time
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/2/2020 10:14 AM, Wade Garrett wrote:
OK to put egg shells down the kitchen sink garbage disposal?

You could but I wouldn't. With my septic anything that can go in the
trash goes there. Also years ago with sewer line I put a bunch of crab
shells down the disposal and ended up clogging the drain line and had to
open it and snake it out.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/2/2020 10:14 AM, Wade Garrett wrote:
OK to put egg shells down the kitchen sink garbage disposal?

Not in our high rise building. The flakes of eggshell do not dissolve
at the typical acidity of sewage water and have been known to clog the
sewage lines.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 2 Oct 2020 10:14:33 -0400, Wade Garrett wrote:

OK to put egg shells down the kitchen sink garbage disposal?

IMHO, egg shells and ice cubes are excellent items to run through a kitchen
sink garbage disposal, as far as the disposal blades are concerned, but
perhaps not great for a septic system if that's what you have. Potatoes and
potato peels would be among the worst thing for a garbage disposal.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/2/2020 10:14 AM, Wade Garrett wrote:
OK to put egg shells down the kitchen sink garbage disposal?

Yes but I don't. In my first house I had occasional problem so was very
caution what went down. It really was a drain problem from the kitchen.
Never had a problem after that but it is just as easy to put them into
the trash can.

Break up the shells and put some around your tomato plants for the
calcium.