DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Good window washing paper? (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/67899-good-window-washing-paper.html)

[email protected] September 5th 04 01:07 AM

Good window washing paper?

I tried using some news paper to was my outside windows today but kept
getting inks smeared all over my hands and the frames of the windows.

Does there exist any paper without ink that is good for window
washing?

Can one just use those brown rolls of hand drying paper found it quick
stops and such?

I-zheet M'drurz September 5th 04 01:14 AM

wrote:

I tried using some news paper to was my outside windows today
but kept getting inks smeared all over my hands and the frames
of the windows.

Does there exist any paper without ink that is good for window
washing?

Why does it have to be paper?? Lint-free rags work just as well.

Can one just use those brown rolls of hand drying paper found it
quick stops and such?

Well, yeah! That's lint-free paper in mst cases, but please
consider *buying* them instead of stealing them from 7-11.
Their prices are high enough already, you don't need to add
to their overhead.

--
So if you meet me, have some courtesy,
have some sympathy, and some taste.

Tom Miller September 5th 04 01:36 AM

On Sat, 04 Sep 2004 19:07:45 -0500, wrote:

| I tried using some news paper to was my outside windows today but kept
| getting inks smeared all over my hands and the frames of the windows.
|
| Does there exist any paper without ink that is good for window
| washing?
|
| Can one just use those brown rolls of hand drying paper found it quick
| stops and such?

I've used plain packing paper, which is essentially large sheets of
newsprint without the ink, and it works pretty well. You can get
bundles of it at places that sell boxes and packing materials for
do-it-yourself moving (truck and trailer rental places, U-store type
storage garages and lockers, etc.). I had a lot of it left over from a
move we did once. However, I normally use old newspapers and just wash
off my hands from time to time.

Norminn September 5th 04 01:51 AM

wrote:
I tried using some news paper to was my outside windows today but kept
getting inks smeared all over my hands and the frames of the windows.

Does there exist any paper without ink that is good for window
washing?

Can one just use those brown rolls of hand drying paper found it quick
stops and such?

I use a soft scrub brush on a long handle and a squeegee with window
washing concentrate. Hose them off first to get the gritty dirt and
loose crud from the frames.

Gini September 5th 04 02:18 AM

In article , Tom Miller says...

On Sat, 04 Sep 2004 19:07:45 -0500, wrote:

| I tried using some news paper to was my outside windows today but kept
| getting inks smeared all over my hands and the frames of the windows.
|
| Does there exist any paper without ink that is good for window
| washing?
|
| Can one just use those brown rolls of hand drying paper found it quick
| stops and such?

I've used plain packing paper, which is essentially large sheets of
newsprint without the ink, and it works pretty well. You can get
bundles of it at places that sell boxes and packing materials for
do-it-yourself moving (truck and trailer rental places, U-store type
storage garages and lockers, etc.). I had a lot of it left over from a
move we did once. However, I normally use old newspapers and just wash
off my hands from time to time.

===
I bought a box of cheap thin vinyl disposable gloves and keep it with my
cleaning supplies. It was toilet cleaning that prompted this but I now use them
for other jobs as well.
===
===

Me September 5th 04 03:57 AM

Head over to a cleaning supply store and buy a window scrubber (looks like a
rag mop with shorter "nap") and a squeegee. Fill a bucket with water and a
bit of window washing suds (I use car wash suds), grab a towel and an
extension pole (if needed- make sure your tools can be put on the pole!) and
go to work. Scrub first, then hit with the squeegee. I like to wipe the
squeegee off on the towel after every pass to reduce streaking. Also have
read that tying a rag around your wrist will keep water from running down
your arm, but I haven't had the need.

This has a higher up-front cost, but gives better results and saves a lot of
time and mess.

[email protected] September 5th 04 06:48 PM

Head over to a cleaning supply store and buy a window scrubber (looks like a
rag mop with shorter "nap") and a squeegee.

This has a higher up-front cost, but gives better results and saves a lot of
time and mess.

Agreed

But I cant use the above setup to clean inside windows well can I?
Id have water on my carpet everywhere if all I did was squeegee them
off

Me September 6th 04 05:29 PM

Ahh, you want to clean the inside of the windows... Sorry, wasn't clear in
your original post. For the inside, I have been very impressed with the
results using one of the new "microfiber" towels. There are different weaves
available, and the denser, smoother (less terry-towel like) seems to be more
durable and better for windows, mirrors, chrome, etc. Highly recommended!

That said, I still need to hit them once in a while with Windex and a rag or
paper towels. Once they are good and clean the microfiber keeps them that
way.

-Randy

[email protected] September 6th 04 11:22 PM

That said, I still need to hit them once in a while with Windex and a rag or
paper towels. Once they are good and clean the microfiber keeps them that
way.

Where do u buy such micro fiber towels?

What's the brand and name?

Me September 7th 04 01:36 AM

I bought the ones I like for glass, etc. at Meijer (like a SuperTarget, only
slightly less expensive/lower quality) but I can not remember the brand,
etc. They came as a "bonus" with a microfiber mop (which I like, but have
not used as much). Target has some that are like terry towels in their car
care section, pretty cheap.