Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Neil Ralley

Default Really dumb question about electrical wiring

I am in NJ, USA and I am trying to convert the wiring of an outside
light from 2-way to one-way.

The light was previously controlled from inside the kitchen and also
from the garage but the garage switch is now completely isolated and
disabled.

What I have is black, white and red wires (plus unsheathed earth)
coming out of the box for the wall-light and the same coloured wires
coming out of the switch-plate. Near-miss accidents have confirmed
that the black and red wites going to the switch box are live, I have
no idea about the white wire.

I believe that the red wire probably needs to be either dead-ended or
combined with one of the other wires but have no idea which.

The little electrical knowledge I have was acquired in the UK where
the wiring conventions are different in terms of colour-coding though
I will admit to having been baffled by 2-way switches there also.

I just need to know what the combinations should be in the light
fitting and in the switch for simple one-way operation.

Thanks in advance for any help.....

Neil