Posted to alt.home.repair

Default repairing wall anchor holes and ripped wallboard

Purchased a new home, owner had tons of things on walls. Lots of anchor holes (some with plastic anchors still in there) and rips in drywall paper (not large but many).

Should I repair with wallboard compound or fast drying spackle?

Should I try and pull the anchors, force them into the wall, or just imbed them enough to compound spackle them?

Can I use a hair dryer to speed drying process when I need multiple coats?

Thanks for the advice!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/18/2020 12:19 PM, ArghArgh wrote:
Purchased a new home, owner had tons of things on walls. Lots of anchor holes (some with plastic anchors still in there) and rips in drywall paper (not large but many).

Should I repair with wallboard compound or fast drying spackle?

Should I try and pull the anchors, force them into the wall, or just imbed them enough to compound spackle them?

Can I use a hair dryer to speed drying process when I need multiple coats?

Thanks for the advice!

Spackle is made for that. Depending on the anchor, pulling them out can
do more damage. Pushing them in is easy enough.

If you have a lot of holes it will probably be dry enough by the second
time around to not need the air dryer.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/18/2020 12:45 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 6/18/2020 12:19 PM, ArghArgh wrote:
Purchased a new home, owner had tons of things on walls.Â* Lots of
anchor holes (some with plastic anchors still in there) and rips in
drywall paper (not large but many).

Should I repair with wallboard compound or fast drying spackle?

Should I try and pull the anchors, force them into the wall, or just
imbed them enough to compound spackle them?

Can I use a hair dryer to speed drying process when I need multiple
coats?

Thanks for the advice!

Spackle is made for that.Â* Depending on the anchor, pulling them out can
do more damage.Â* Pushing them in is easy enough.

If you have a lot of holes it will probably be dry enough by the second
time around to not need the air dryer.

That would be my suggestion. Pulling anchors would make repair more
difficult. I would just give spackle time to dry and maybe finish with
a second coat. Matching paint may be biggest chore and whole walls
might need to be painted.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, June 18, 2020 at 12:54:36 PM UTC-4, Frank wrote:
[...]

I'd do whichever is easier. If the anchor is loose and partially sticking
out, pull it out. If not, push or tap it in until it's below the surface.
Spackle or mud is up to you. Mud works, it's cheap. Spackle costs more
and is fancier. Some change color so you can tell when it's dry, produce
less dust when sanded, are fast drying, etc.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/18/2020 12:19 PM, ArghArgh wrote:
Purchased a new home, owner had tons of things on walls. Lots of anchor holes (some with plastic anchors still in there) and rips in drywall paper (not large but many).

Should I repair with wallboard compound or fast drying spackle?

Should I try and pull the anchors, force them into the wall, or just imbed them enough to compound spackle them?

Can I use a hair dryer to speed drying process when I need multiple coats?

Thanks for the advice!

Smaller holes can be spackled, larger holes may require cutting and
fitting drywall pieces, tape and compound.

Much depends on the type of anchors that were used. Butterfly anchors
are best pushed in and let fall into the wall, then spackle the hole.
Trying to pull them out will result in bigger damage to wall. Straight
plastic spread anchors can be pulled, using a screw partially inserted
then yanked, which is my method, then spackled. Butterfly anchors with a
flange can still be pushed in, but for me, I cut the flange, push in
anchor than spackle. I don't like to have any protrusion and prefer a
nice flush repair.

If you use fast drying spackle and have many holes, chances are the
first holes will be dry and ready to sand by the time you get to the
last one. Otherwise, a hair dryer will work but use medium setting at
the most, if available. Otherwise, stay on cool.